Ron G.

2007 Archery Pig Hunt

My pig hunt really started during archery elk season. I was up helping my friend Josh (Mr. Smith from AZSJ forum) and we discussed about what we were going to put in for during the spring seasons. I hadn’t put in for or hunted for pigs in years. I think high school was the last time I hunted them and chased them with stick and string. Getting back into archery a couple of years ago made me want to get as much experience as possible with my bow, so thus a plan was born for Josh and I to put in for pigs together…

Mr Smith’s friend Bob gave us a tip into where to start. It turned out to be a pretty good tip. My first scouting trip out there I found pigs right in the road. A follow up trip showed good pig sign and made me look forward to opening day.

Opening day we had a whole crew out there (as with most of the hunt) that included Josh, his friend Bob, Dan (Dank on AZSJ), John (JLG61 on AZSJ but dubbed the ‘Pig Whisperer’ on this trip), and myself. We split up into two groups and started glassing. The morning was pretty uneventful, and we hooked back up that afternoon as Bob and Dan had to go home. John managed to glass up a couple of Does about 1ish, and that afternoon right before dark some pigs were found about 600 yards out. After a quick stalk over some tricky terrain, Josh and I were in the middle of pigs. They buggered before we had a clear shot. Even though unsuccessful, it made for a great time. What a day!

Doe

P1010011.jpg

Where we saw pigs. Red line is our stalking route…

P1010020_1Jan_Stalk_Text1.jpg

Me after our unsuccessful stalk.

P1010028.jpg

Josh after our unsuccessful stalk.

P1010030.jpg

Sunset

P1010035.jpg

Fast forward to Sunday, the 7th, John, Josh and I headed out from Josh’s house and hit the ridges again. Sitting on a cold, windblown ridge, Josh spotted a pig further up the ridge from us. He hadn’t said much more than pig over the radio and the Pig Whisperer comes running by to get further up the ridge in an effort to warm up and get a better view of the pigs. That single pig turned into several pigs (~12), so Josh and I loaded up and were off. With the Whisperer spotting from up above, Josh and I made our way over towards the pigs. We dropped our packs below where the Pig Whisperer sat, and closed the distance as quickly and quietly as possible.

Josh glassing

P1070025.jpg

Pigs Josh glassed up.

P1070018.jpg

Closeup of pigs. Can you see them???

P1070020.jpg

The whole while, the Whisperer was doing his duty whispering into our ear keeping us updated as to what the pigs were doing. We came out of the last gully we had to cross to get on the finger the pigs were on. While only 30 yards from our reference saguaro cactus, we couldn’t see the pigs that were within 5 yards of that cactus. It wasn’t until we were 15 yards away and I was standing on my tiptoes that I could see the pig right in front of me. I ducked down, and eased up a few more yards closer, trying to make as little noise as possible. Josh was right behind me in his squeaky new boots ready to arrow a pig. I drew on the pig in front of me and when I felt I had a clear shot I released. I didn’t take into account the pig raising the hair on its back as I tried to close the distance for a clear shot. Not knowing it at the time, I shot right over its back. Josh picked out a pig and shot an arrow as well. Josh and I were sure he had missed, so we got on the J13 and called. We had pigs running to us from all directions, heading right for us. I had three come in at 5, 7, and 10 yards, doing a face off. I then decided maybe being crouched down wasn’t the best position to be in, so I stood up. By this time, Josh had released another arrow in the opposite direction not seeing those pigs in front of us. Not knowing for sure if I’d hit my pig, I was reluctant to shoot again. After the pigs cleared out, I went over to where mine and Josh’s first arrows lay. Mine was in a bush, clean as could be. No hair, blood, or anything. Josh’s was just as clean, located up in a tree. At this time, a couple of pigs circled around us and came walking by at 12—15 yards at a slow walk. Regretting the shot now, I loosed an arrow at the lead pig, once again harmlessly sailing it over its back. I guess I need to practice those 10-15 yd shots a little more! Recollecting ourselves and our gear, we joined the Pig Whisperer up on top of the ridge for a cold drink and some lunch consisting of wild game sausage and cheese.

Pig Whisperer

P1070027.jpg

Pig Whisperer and Josh enjoying lunch

P1070031.jpg

While recounting the excitement and anguish of missing, Josh spotted a pig and a person a couple of ridges over. It only took a couple of minutes to see that person was Joshy (Joshy25 on AZSJ; we’ll call him Joshy here). We were entertained watching the pig keep just out of range of Joshy. We were impressed that he was able to follow it around so well, especially when not being able to see it. After he’d lost it, we were able to catch his attention, and got him on the radio. At that point, Josh and Joshy commenced in their long distance full moon greetings. It must be a Josh thing…

John wanted to check out the other side of the ridge, so he took off; I went up to find a different vantage point while Josh waited for Joshy to get over to us. I finally settled on a point on the main ridge where I had a good view of the main area. Within a few minutes, I spotted 3 pigs making their way towards the drainage directly below us. The Pig Whisperer came down and joined me; while Josh and Joshy moved down to intercept the pigs. After covering some major ground in a short amount of time, the pigs finally stopped and began feeding below us. The two Josh’s moved in, but the wind swirled and after putting a nose in the air the pigs headed out. I had watched the whole thing while debating whether to pack up and head down to the saddle below me to try and intercept the pigs in case they spooked. At this point I knew I had to hurry if I was going to beat the pigs there. I loaded up and dropped off the steep ridge.

As I hurriedly made my way down, I had a visual on the pigs. There was no way I was going to intercept them down on the saddle where they were headed. It was too steep and too many loose rocks that I was dislodging as I tried to make my way down. I dropped down another 10-15 yards and looked at the saddle expecting to see the pigs crossing over it. I didn’t see them and then wondered where they were. I lowered my gaze to right below me and saw the pigs heading right up to me. I repositioned my feet for a shot and the pigs leveled out on the ridge and started traversing below me. I nocked an arrow and ranged some objects below me where I thought the pigs would cross.

As the pigs went behind some palo verde and mesquite trees, I drew my bow. It was a steep downhill shot at a range of 33 yds. The lead pig stepped out from the palo verde and I woofed. As it stopped I released my arrow. The arrow flew straight and true, smacking the pig dead center. All heck broke loose then. The pig I shot exploded into motion and ran off traversing the ridge until it was out of site. I started blowing on the J13 call, and I think doing that only put more speed into the two other pigs. I then got onto the radio and told the guys I was pretty sure I hit one.

I set about marking my shot location and marking the area I’d last seen the pig I had shot. I tried to get a mark on where the pig was standing when I shot also. The two Josh’s joined me where the pigs were standing and helped me look for the arrow. Not finding it, I began to get concerned. I was really concerned as we weren’t finding any blood either. I started doubting what I’d seen as I shot, but I knew I hit that thing. I crossed over a small barren gully that only had tracks in it. I knew that the pig I stuck had traveled slightly uphill and was almost level with me when I last saw him. I put my pack down and figured I’d hike up towards the Pig Whisperer, who was sitting patiently up above us, hoping I’d cut the pig’s trail. I got to about where I thought it should be and started wondering how I could be screwing this up so bad. At that point I looked down and saw blood on the weeds in front of me. Yahoo! I’d struck the blood trail. I called the guys over, and we commenced following it. It was a well defined trail, often times with chunks of lung being found along the trail. Several times the pig whisperer mentioned he’d never seen a pig leave such a good blood trail.

After trailing him for 125 yards or so, Josh saw something under a tree ahead of us. We moved up and it was my pig, plowed into the dirt. I pulled him out of there and we started taking pictures. Thanks Joshy for taking the pictures. It wasn’t until I got home that I realized you weren’t in any of them! 

Pig

P1070033.jpg

Me pulling the pig out.

P1070038.jpg

View of harvest area

P1010001w_text.jpg

Group pic minus Joshy25 the photographer

P1070061-1.jpg

Me with my pig

P1070072.jpg

Before too long, it was time to pack out. Joshy25 was kind enough to take some of my gear to lighten my load some and JLG helped out with my bow on the steep section. I loaded the pig onto my new 2200 pack. It carried that pig great!

2200 with pig loaded on

P1070076.jpg

P1070087.jpg

What a great group of guys to be hunting with! I had a lot of fun with them all and learned several things on this trip. Thanks to everyone pitching in once my pig was on the ground. It was sweet to share my first archery kill with all you guys.

We stopped by Terry Herndon’s house on the way home to weigh the pig for the Big Pig Contest. He weighed in at 43 pounds.

Thanks again to my friends for all your help and support on the hunt. I really had a blast on this hunt.

Ron

Man great hunt! Sounds like you guys had a blast. :D

Great job! The one good thing about missing a shot on a piggie is that you get to keep hunting and you don't have to gut the stinky thing! JIM>

Hey guys. Why do you call javelina "pigs"? Aren't they really rodents?? I know they taste like rats. If you really want to hunt pigs in Az, pm me for info. I just got a Russian boar, they get up to 600 lbs. and they taste great!! We just took a 310 lb. boar and we had backstrap/tenderloin stks. and I think I now have a new favorite!!!

They got lots of rats too but who would want to hunt something 1 tenth the size and not near as tasty?

Congratulations and thanks for all the pics and the story. That was fun to read. Man, that badlands 2200 orange flap is going to smell bad for months after rubbing on that gland for your whole hike back!! I hope it cleans up well!

Amanda

All you guys w/ you pig pics are driving me crazy! Can't wait for my hunt to start. Congrats on the javi's!

Matt S.

GREAT STORY. YOU GOT TO LOVE THOSE PIGS. SOUNDS LIKE YOU GUYS HAD ONE HECK OF A WORKOUT. GREAT JOB.