Huntin'AZ

AZ Game and Fish releases survey results

I to am worried what might happen in the future but no matter what happens I'll continue to hunt and there will be trophies out there to find. I'm not trying to take sides with the G&F but I don't think they are all crack-pots. There are a whole lot of good people who work there and there are probable some people there who look at it more as a business looking for profit. I have spent the past two summers working for a Utah State University Grad. Student studing sage grouse up in central Utah and we worked alot with the Utah DWR. I saw and learned alot about the devision up there and compaired to them we've got it good here in AZ.

We can't ever get to the point when what is done is excepted or allowed every time without say, hunter apathy and ignorance will cause us to lose more and more hunting opportunities every year if we let them. We must choose and fight the battles we can win ,but we must also fight for the ones we can't or every time they throw something at us it will be bigger and harder to fight, we keep all the problems small and seperated and fight every one. How many of us took the survey, did we all take it? I expressed my disappointment in the survey to a member of the azgfd at an ADA meeting I really don't think they care what one person says, we need many to speak and in person at one of their meetings with the commissioners present on how we feel. The way the azgfd treated the ADA survey was laughable, it was dismissed as a non scientific survey that held no real meaning for how the general public felt about the way azgfd manages our wildlife, the problem I have with that is that the last time I checked I am a member of the general public, we all are, what sucks is that the people that show up at the meetings care enough about hunting and az to be there and these are the people that get stepped on by the azgfd. I will fight for what I believe until I am dead so hopefully I have a few years left to at least allow my kids to hunt if they want to.

I have the survey questions if anyone want to look at them again, send me a PM or an e-mail and I will send them to you.

Good luck and God Bless.

We can't ever get to the point when what is done is excepted or allowed every time without say, hunter apathy and ignorance will cause us to lose more and more hunting opportunities every year if we let them. We must choose and fight the battles we can win ,but we must also fight for the ones we can't or every time they throw something at us it will be bigger and harder to fight, we keep all the problems small and seperated and fight every one. How many of us took the survey, did we all take it?

Good luck and God Bless.

AMEN! The Department works for us (in theory). We can change things if we can get organized. To just sit there and say, "well, we can't do anything about it" is defeatist.

All symptoms of a greater problem: overpopulation of humans. The blame lies nowhere. We've had this discussion numerous times. Pound on you keyboard and point your finger all you want; it won't change anything. The Dept is running a business and providing a service. There is no answer to having too many people in the state.

If you want to get drawn for everything all the time, then move to a state like Wyoming that has only one area code.

If you really think its a conspiracy then don't support the culprits - don't hunt. Why would you give money to someone you hate when you don't have to?

I don't like the problem either, but I'm not gonna let it steal my peace.

"...accept the the things I cannot change and the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Wise up.

Mike

I agree Rembrant, and it sucks.

... If you want to get drawn for everything all the time, then move to a state like Wyoming that has only one area code. I DID

If you really think its a conspiracy then don't support the culprits - don't hunt. I quit supporting them when they quit listening to the public

Why would you give money to someone you hate when you don't have to? I won't

I just don't want EVERYONE to move to Wyoming until I have had a chance to take some game of my own!

Tell you what, I will scout it out for you and let you know when it is safe to head this way... ;)

After scanning the survey results, seems there are lots of contradictions.

Getting to go hunting ranked highest in importance, but 32% did not hunt other species if not drawn for big game. 38-47% said they did not hunt small game in the last 5 years. (They chose not to hunt, in other words.)

50% did not hunt out of state in the last 5 years. If hunting is so important, then why did they not apply or simply go? Some out of state deer hunts are relatively easy to draw. Colorado elk is often over the counter, and those surveyed said that elk is their number one species.

Most think they should get to hunt deer and elk 5 of 10 years, and turkey every year. ( Let's just wipe out the game and be happy for the opportunity?)

40% ranked getting a shot a 10 on the scale of importance for hunt satisfaction, but only 24% gave harvesting the animal a 10. ( I guess it doesn't matter if you can shoot well and hit your target. Just be happy blasting towards the game?)

Doug ~RR

To allow for the number of tags requested by the public, we'll have to hunt the dang things with spears.

I think we all know how these survey companies work. When you hire them they ask you what you want the results to convey.

My daughter had a Dec 1st bull tag this year. We had more troubles with other hunters screwing up our stocks than anything else. There were only 150 tags last year and this year they jumped it up to 300 . The quality of the hunt just went up in smoke because all your going to do is trip over other hunters.

How does G&F hope to recruit young hunters when the kid does draw a tag it not any fun because of all the hunting pressure.

Mike

Amen brother!!This is where its all going, to heck if we let it. there are so dang many people hunting anymore, it crazy! They need to all go back where they came from and stay there...Game and fish loves it because they can hit each one of them new hunters for 500-1000 bucks each time they want to hunt.

The juniors are the ones who are going to pay for it. its sad. when they do finally get to go hunting, all they will have is an un fun experience because of all the pressure. My son drew a rifle antelope tag this past year and we had a great time with no hunting pressure because of the limited number of tags available. The game and fish is too greedy to keep all tag numbers low though.........

Ron

It’s a pretty sad day when the Game Fish starts managing big game and tag allotments from an independent survey. No more need for wildlife biologist.

azyoung

It doesn't surprise me that the results came out that way. the questions on the survey were pointing in that direction. I have been hunting for 13 years in AZ and only been drawn for 1 elk tag and 3 deer tags. I feel most people would just like to go. Most people don't want to wait 13 years for an elk tag. So the GF came up with a solution. Yes they get more money and all those things but I think the key here is Patients. Give it two maybe five years and people will be asking for the quality hunts back. In the mean time take advantage of the higher draw odds, do your homework and nail a nice trophy.

Well how many of you answerd this way on the survey. I promise you that to many people are selfish in this world and would rather get a tag and go hunting than keep our Elk ranked as the best in the USA. How many people do you see setting in camp drinking beer at noon when they should be out hunting. A bunch in my opinion. Theese are the ones that say they just want a tag so they can be in the mountains with friends. Well i say to them go to the park and enjoy your friends.

I go to the mountains to be with family and hunt for the biggest Bull or Deer i can lay my eyes on. Yes i go there to learn and teach. But what i want to learn and teach is how to hunt our world class Herds not how to go out and shoot an animal. You have to remember that the questions were asked to those that will put down five choices for cow Elk also. I am glad that there are those out there that hunt cow evry year by choice. As for me my choice has always been and always will be with the herds and not my selfish want to go hunt. I put in for my 1 area each and evry year. I am looking for that one i want. And i let lots of animals walk because of it.

Even if i am not drawn i am in the mountains with my family and me and my children are hunting deer and elk evry time we go. I would rather draw a tag once and kill a once in a life time Bull than go evry year and kill a small bull. I am honest about this. I have never in my life drawn a bull tag yet. But get just as big a kick out of glassing one and seeing it with my own eyes. Than seeing 800 hunters running around below me shooting at evry elk or deer they see. Still most of the hunters will hunt from the roads and and i will be way off the beatin path hunting tropy class animals.

I hate to read some things but when it reflects peoples selfish opinions this is always the out come.

OK FIRE AWAY AT WILL. I will expect it.

Well how many of you answerd this way on the survey. I promise you that to many people are selfish in this world and would rather get a tag and go hunting than keep our Elk ranked as the best in the USA. How many people do you see setting in camp drinking beer at noon when they should be out hunting. A bunch in my opinion. Theese are the ones that say they just want a tag so they can be in the mountains with friends. Well i say to them go to the park and enjoy your friends.

I go to the mountains to be with family and hunt for the biggest Bull or Deer i can lay my eyes on. Yes i go there to learn and teach. But what i want to learn and teach is how to hunt our world class Herds not how to go out and shoot an animal. You have to remember that the questions were asked to those that will put down five choices for cow Elk also. I am glad that there are those out there that hunt cow evry year by choice. As for me my choice has always been and always will be with the herds and not my selfish want to go hunt. I put in for my 1 area each and evry year. I am looking for that one i want. And i let lots of animals walk because of it.

Even if i am not drawn i am in the mountains with my family and me and my children are hunting deer and elk evry time we go. I would rather draw a tag once and kill a once in a life time Bull than go evry year and kill a small bull. I am honest about this. I have never in my life drawn a bull tag yet. But get just as big a kick out of glassing one and seeing it with my own eyes. Than seeing 800 hunters running around below me shooting at evry elk or deer they see. Still most of the hunters will hunt from the roads and and i will be way off the beatin path hunting tropy class animals.

I hate to read some things but when it reflects peoples selfish opinions this is always the out come.

OK FIRE AWAY AT WILL. I will expect it.

I have said in the past on this site that there are two types of hunters, serious and non serious. That is why I have advocated premium prices for the premium hunts. Serious hunters will pay more for a quality tag with less hunters.

serious and non serious

I agree. I think the tag fee for premium hunts should be about $4000. That will REALLY weed out the ones that aren't serious...

serious and non serious

I agree. I think the tag fee for premium hunts should be about $4000. That will REALLY weed out the ones that aren't serious...

LOL!, can apply on your app?