macknnc

and for shooting coyotes...

that's just silly!

hunters that do it for $ even use "light loads" so they don't tear up the pelts.... and drop em dead in their tracks... with an occasional spin or 2.LOL!

James

Not true. I contest hunt enough to know that nobody shoots a contest with a light load. Time is of an essence in a contest and you don't want to waste time chasing a coyote down. In typical contest hunts you don't get your coyotes anyhow so why care if the pelt is picture perfect. heck.. who cares fi you have to drag it back in 2 pieces. When I've hunted the Worlds, guys are shooting to drop them in their tracks. .223 is the minimum you'll see an accomplished contest hunter use. Generally they'll go bigger. I hunted with Les Johnson a ways back and he pulled out a .22-250 and got the job done... at a distance the .223 guys wish they could.

I just picked up an AR in .17 Remington from Carey Custom Rifles. Curious to see how it does on recreational coyote shooting.

was referring to the pelts for $, hence the statement about the pelts. I guess I should have said people who want to save the pelts for $

James

Funny my 22mag knocks the dog snot out of them out to 100. Forgot to mention it's also killed its fair share of javis too.

really? what bullet should i use cuz i shot some with my .22 mag and none were dead right there. did kill them though, i think

I shoot a 110 gr V-Max out of my 300 WM. It hits them like the hammer of Thor!

• Like 1

Funny my 22mag knocks the dog snot out of them out to 100. Forgot to mention it's also killed its fair share of javis too.

Shoot coyotes in big numbers and you'll change your tune.

that's just silly!

hunters that do it for $ even use "light loads" so they don't tear up the pelts.... and drop em dead in their tracks... with an occasional spin or 2.LOL!

James

Not true. I contest hunt enough to know that nobody shoots a contest with a light load. Time is of an essence in a contest and you don't want to waste time chasing a coyote down. In typical contest hunts you don't get your coyotes anyhow so why care if the pelt is picture perfect. heck.. who cares fi you have to drag it back in 2 pieces. When I've hunted the Worlds, guys are shooting to drop them in their tracks. .223 is the minimum you'll see an accomplished contest hunter use. Generally they'll go bigger. I hunted with Les Johnson a ways back and he pulled out a .22-250 and got the job done... at a distance the .223 guys wish they could.

I just picked up an AR in .17 Remington from Carey Custom Rifles. Curious to see how it does on recreational coyote shooting.

was referring to the pelts for $, hence the statement about the pelts. I guess I should have said people who want to save the pelts for $

James

Hardly anybody in AZ hunts a coyote for its pelt. They're worth almost nothing, even out 7k hides. AZ average last year was probably $12.

that's just silly!

James

James

Hardly anybody in AZ hunts a coyote for its pelt. They're worth almost nothing, even out 7k hides. AZ average last year was probably $12.

MISSING THE POINT.........

justanotherpunk, on 10 Jun 2014 - 7:31 PM, said:snapback.png

I've shot enough of them to be certain of what I'm saying. I never said to go shoot a competition with a 22 mag or even to shoot em out past a 100 yards but I probably shoot around 10 coyotes a year and the vast majority drop in their tracks. I rarely shoot them at angles that aren't ideal. I'll try and get one on video this summer for the non believers.

As with anything, opinions vary and mine usually suck.

• Like 1

I don't have the time and money to invest in too many different calibers. 300wsm 180 grain vld's work for everything.

• Like 1

I have seen with my own eyes coyotes drop immediately from .22lr. The guy was using cci blazers I believe. He would put it right behind their ears and they would drop and die on the spot with no tracking. I wouldn't call that "irresponsible". If you can shoot like that guy could I would have no problem with him covering me in a war zone using .22lr lol.

• Like 1

prefer a 22-250,but until an ar-15 comes out in that caliber,223 it is..like they stated earlier,good enough to drop a man,plenty enough for a yote....

Considering I have used a 17 hmr with good results the 223 is just fine. I have always called them in close though. If further shots were part of the plan I would use 243 or 25-06.

I don't have a varmint gun so I load 95gr V-max with variety in my 6.5x55. It explodes them at all ranges. Seems like a 223 would be more than enough, but can't speak from experience.