capoeirajosh

track opinions

I found these tracks at a pretty big water source that I have been scouting for bears at. I haven't seen any human footprints in or out of the area. Reason I bring that up is this almost looks like a dog track. It is a huge track though. My wife's hand is there for comparison. I can see claw marks, which is usually the dead giveaway that it is a k9, but it is pretty deep in the mud. Could this be a lion track? I don't think there are wolves in the area. I am in 6A. What are your thoughts?

Hahahahaha, oops! Here ya go!

20140622_090003.jpg

Based on the shape of the heel pad, K9.

Lions will sometimes leave a claw mark in a track when it's slick walking, but that I believe is a dog.

Based on the shape of the heel pad, K9

That is what I was thinking. It just seems so darn big and figured if it was a big dog that I would have seen human prints. Wolf maybe??

It's a big dog print but not a wolf. Wolves have enormous feet; I've seen timber wolves in AK and a Sonoran Grey in NM when I was a kid. What struck me first about them was the size of their shoulders and feet compared to domestic dogs.

I don't know too much about these hybrids the gov. is trying to pass off as wolves in eastern AZ, but there's probably dogs dumped or running loose in 6a. I was deep in the woods there 6 weeks ago shed hunting and I encountered a domestic cat someone had probably dumped.

Could also be the king of coyotes, haha.

Cerberus

The mystery has been solved!!

Heel pad and symmetry of toe pads (can draw a perfect "X" or "W" b/w toes) tells me its a K9. Either a big coyote, someone's dog, or a feral dog. Tracks always look bigger when they are splayed in the mud, no matter what animal. And there are no wolves in 6a.

I agree it's a dog, with it being in soft ground the pad spreads more and makes a much larger print than what you would usually see at your house or on the trail in plain dirt.

Thanks everyone!