azsagebrush

high country pig

I'm not lucky enough to walk in unit 9 with a bow in September so I thought that I would try it in January, and what a good feeling it was.

It snowed about 3" Thursday night, so Friday morning I jumped on my quad and went west driving the 2 tracks looking to cut a javelina track. Around 11:00 and 20 miles, I cut what looked to be 6 javelina crossing the road. I grabbed my bow and off I went following the fresh track. I went about 100 yards and heard a soft "woof", I looked up from the tracks and there were 3 pigs and the closest only about 15 yards. I knocked an arrow and hooked on to my loop and started to draw when my release came off the loop and the arrow lobbed out in front of me about 10 feet. The pigs started to run off; I knocked another arrow and one of the pigs looked towards me stopping about 10 yards away on full alert, however, it was too thick to shoot. He then winded me and trotted off. I started to follow the pig track and about 40 yards down their tracks I saw pigs rooting around under a juniper tree. I ranged him at 27 yards, but it was again too thick to shoot. I caught movement to my left and as i turned, there were 2 pigs walking, I ranged the second pig at 22 yards and shot. I tracked the pig about 50 yards and saw him standing in front of me at 20 yards so I made the final shot.

This was the first time that I have hunted javelina in the high country, it was a kick in the butt!

Azsagebrush

IMGP00642.jpg

IMGP0066.jpg

That is pretty cool, i don't know if I have enough mojo to try that next year, my hat is off to you.

Redman

Great job!

It is harder but they are up there.

:ph34r:

Congratulations! Great story and photos.

Where in 9 did you get the little guy?

I was west of the airport and south of the Apex sighting.

Azsagebrush