cosninocanines

Covert Scouting Cameras

Quick Shout Out for Covert support.

I was having issues with my camera shutting off and contacted Covert Support. Through emails they helped me pinpoint the problem to the SD adapter. The "write protect" switch had moved to the center position so the camera could't see the mini SD.

My point is they responded quickley and stayed with the problem until it was resolved.

• Like 1

Since this is a Covert thread I figured I would ask all the covert fans a quick question. I have always thought that the sensitivity levels on the cameras, Low, Normal, and High, were just that. Low sensitivity means the camera will be less sensitive and take less pictures, high the opposite. So I have been having my cameras set on low. However I get tons of day pictures with nothing in them. I was reading through the manuals last night, (DUH), and it says that the low mode should be used in cooler environments, and the high mode should be used in warmer environments, in order to not get as many unwanted pictures. Apparently I have been setting them up backwards and should be using them with sensitivity on HIGH option????? Am I getting this correct??? Figured I would ask since I know a lot of you guys use them.

I always thought it was the resolution of the picture -

on high it takes detailed pic so you may get less in number -it takes up more (KB) space on card

lower setting maybe not as super clear a picture but more room on the card for more pics

Devin,

I was recently told by Covert that the cameras should be set on Low to avoid tons of photos. However, I think it's the heat of arizona that causes the real problem. Do you notice more of your "tons of pics of nothing" during the hotter times of the year? The cameras work by using a combination of heat detection and motion detection. I think our hot AZ weather makes the heat detection thing go bonkers and take tons of photos. It seems that they work fine at night, right? It's just during the hot days that you have tons of pics? Covert also suggests pointing the camera North whenever possible to help with this problem.

Yes Amanda, During the day are when the cams take tons of photos. Nights are fine. You can watch the shadows go buy during the day on some when panning fast through the pics HAHAHA. It doesn't seem to matter where I have them. I have some up high in Elk country ponderosa pines that still take photos all day. 75 degree high temps. Seems to me like there is some play in which camera I set out. Some are more sensitive then others :( But going through the manual it says try the HIGH setting in warmer climates so was wondering if anyone has done so. I will set a few out in my yard and try it out.

I kinda wish they would make one with full adjustment. I have some homebuilt ones that actually have a dial on the sensitivity. I can get them set to only take pictures of bigger animals and cut out birds, rabbits, etc. Or visa versa and get pictures of mice and bugs :)

Since this is a Covert thread I figured I would ask all the covert fans a quick question. I have always thought that the sensitivity levels on the cameras, Low, Normal, and High, were just that. Low sensitivity means the camera will be less sensitive and take less pictures, high the opposite. So I have been having my cameras set on low. However I get tons of day pictures with nothing in them. I was reading through the manuals last night, (DUH), and it says that the low mode should be used in cooler environments, and the high mode should be used in warmer environments, in order to not get as many unwanted pictures. Apparently I have been setting them up backwards and should be using them with sensitivity on HIGH option????? Am I getting this correct??? Figured I would ask since I know a lot of you guys use them.

I thought the low setting was that also. I have almost always set my cams on the low setting. Never read the directions before. Lol

I have to disagree on the day vs night. I was a little taken back by your comment Devin about having the high/low backwards because I too have been using low and still had been getting falsies. You'll clearly notice (at least I have) pictures are wind pictures. I scroll through pics pretty quickly and can see a lot of movement in the trees or grass when I get them. I do quite a bit of weeding, but lately I have also been putting electrical tape over the sensor and you can almost cover the entire sensor and still the cam works just fine. I am usually targeting a specific spot IE spring, water trough, salt pit and I do not need to pick up "the surroundings" Most of my wind pics occur mid day and afternoons, and with these crazy winds we've being having I assumed it was just that. The assassins and covert 8 did not have a problem really, where the MP6 and E5 are super sensitive. I have recently bought quite a few red 40s, but I put electrical tape on them right away since it is my new standard method and they work just fine mostly covered. You can literally leave a 1/4 to a 3/8" square of sensor uncovered and it works just fine over a salt pit and cuts out A LOT of crummy wind pics. Nothing worse than hiking to a back country cam after months and finding a full card of wind pics.

I'm interested to see more opinions on settings and night vs day. I definitely am not getting falsies at night, but I overlooked that based on windy days.

• Like 2

The more I think about, the more I think we have been doing it right with using the low setting. The high setting would make it more sensitive so that slight changes in the ambient hot air vs animals will be detected and pictures taken. I jut hate having rely on cheap tape when we already pay for a pretty expensive device. Hahaha

• Like 2

I wasn't thrilled about trying the electrical tape, but I always go way overboard for cam set up anyway trying to make sure it's perfect. So far the electrical tape has proved to be very effective to cut out wind pics. I place the tape and then trace cut the edges w my havalon so it looks clean and can be rubbed flat so it will last a long time. It is what it is......

I am still learning my camera, i have it set on High currently. i am doing this to see what the difference is between the # of pics i get on high, normal, low. One other thing i suggest is utilizing the Start-Stop feature, you can have the camera hibernate during the time of day that nothing is moving (except the trees) and the wind is the strongest. but my problem is that idk if animals(coues) will be moving during midday in the fall. i may need to experiment with the electrical tape and spot using the Start-stop!

The wind does "occasionally" blow in Flagstaff and I do get a lot of "wind " pics. I think I will give the electric tape a shot maybe use camo tape which I have laying around.