elpepe25

Ground Blinds

I was wondering if any of you guys ever hunt from ground blinds. What do I need to consider when purchasing one, and whats the best way to utilize a ground blind effectivley.

I have heard great things about hunting coues deer out of double bull blinds. I haven't used them but apparently they conceal scent well. Anyone have one of their newest ones and have any info to share on it?

Amanda

I have a double bull matrix I was using hoping to get a shot at coues with this past September. I really liked it. The bucks didn't cooperate and provide a shot, but I saw them several times.

Things I would consider would be wind flap, material, ease of setup, black material inside, ease/quietness of opening windows, weight (if packing in a ways), cost, warranty?, and possible camo pattern if important to you. When I researched ground blinds I found there are a lot of cheaper ones, several that come close to the double bull quality and features, but none that had everything the double bull has. The ones that were pretty close in features/quality seemed to be copy cats, and not that much less than a double bull. There are cheaper blinds out there, but from what I saw/heard double bull blinds were the best. Others might disagree...

Here's the buck I was after...

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

Here's a pic of my blind from the 'back'...

P9030184.jpg

The front (before brushing in)...

P8310023.jpg

Pics taken from in it...

P9010069.jpg

P9010040.jpg

P9010055.jpg

Just be sure to practice all shots you think you might have from it. I missed a bobcat at under 10 yards because it was too close and my arrow hit the bottom of the window sill and skipped the arrow right over its back. Still kicking myself over that one...

I went with a ground blind over a treestand for a couple of reasons. Safer, sometimes there aren't trees handy, and I have young kids I want to start taking with me. Figure they can move around more in a ground blind. Scent containment is a bonus. I had animals approach from downwind, and while on alert, they didn't spook.

post-1778-1169394047_thumb.jpgI have 2 Ameristep Brickhouse blinds

They are not the quality of the bull blinds but work well and at a fraction of the price.

Because of the lower cost I'm not afraid to leave it up.

I put my blinds out a week or so before the hunt so the animals have time to get used to it

plus I'm not making noise when I'm trying to hunt.

try going in weeks before the hunt with your blind and set it up in some trees or what ever and brush it up real good, that way you have a spot all ready to set up in for the hunt.

One of my buddies does have a bull blind but we have done just as well with the ameristep.

Hope this helps.

Mike

here is a picI took from my blind while elk hunting

Even the Ameristep is kind of pricey for something you are going to leave out. Have any of you guys tried one of the cheapy Cabelas ones? They are on sale right now for $50, regulary 70 I think.

TJ

I picked up a Double Bull blind for less than $250.00 from the Bargain Cave at Cabela's and i can honestly say that it is far better than any of my other blinds. I have the Doghouse and it works great until it starts to rain--then it sounds like a mini drum that does not have a natural sound to it. I also picked up one of the Cabela's lightening blinds and it has a better material and it is super fast to set up and tear down. I let my hunting buddy use that Cabela's blind during the archery antelope season and he had some good things to say about it even though he did not get a shot at an antelope from the blind.

You are always taking a chance leaving your blinds or your stands in the woods but in hunting you have to take a few chances to be successful--most of the guys i know who set up their blinds do it far away from roads or trails--Ron G. is one of them. Be sure you mark your blind on your GPS so you can locate it in the dark!!

I have the double bull matrix and love it. I have had several turkey, deer, and elk walk right past me sitting right out in the open. It can be a little heavy if you pack it in a long ways, but worth it. David

I appreciate the help, and hope to use the insight to nail one down.

Also are you guys using them over water holes, trails-funnels, salt or what. Any input would be apprieciated

Thank you

I appreciate the help, and hope to use the insight to nail one down.

Also are you guys using them over water holes, trails-funnels, salt or what. Any input would be apprieciated

Thank you

Yes, Yes, Yes

post-1778-1169394047_thumb.jpgI have 2 Ameristep Brickhouse blinds

They are not the quality of the bull blinds but work well and at a fraction of the price.

Because of the lower cost I'm not afraid to leave it up.

I put my blinds out a week or so before the hunt so the animals have time to get used to it

plus I'm not making noise when I'm trying to hunt.

try going in weeks before the hunt with your blind and set it up in some trees or what ever and brush it up real good, that way you have a spot all ready to set up in for the hunt.

One of my buddies does have a bull blind but we have done just as well with the ameristep.

Hope this helps.

Mike

here is a pic I took from my blind while elk hunting

Hey! That place sure looks familar! Good thing I made Jeremy move his stand out of that country, eh? Now you have it all to yourself again! lol ;)

alright i know this is a old topic but i finally bought a couple of amerstep blind as was wondering if there was any last minute advice on utilizing these thing effectivley

thanks all

alright i know this is a old topic but i finally bought a couple of amerstep blind as was wondering if there was any last minute advice on utilizing these thing effectivley

thanks all

As was previously mentioned. For deer brush it in. I like to set it up under or next to a cedar and cover it. For turkey it is not important. Elk are not nearly as blind jumpy as deer.

If your has shiny fabric make sure it is in the shade or brush it in.

Make sure it is dark inside and wear black hat, face mask, gloves and shirt. Do not open windows such that you are ever silhouetted. Think Johnny Cash the next time you are at walmart.

Buy a comfortable chair or 2. I like big comfy chairs for longer hunts. Consider an extra cushion or old pillow for extra cush.

Test out sight visibility at prime time. It is dark in the blind so you need some serious fiber optics.

Bring a shovel unless it is very level ground. You made need to do some trenching and adjusting for a place to sit.

Consider sleeping in it for morning action without disturbing the area walking in.

Don't try your buddies Double bull or you may have to upgrade.

Practice shooting from inside with and without the mesh.