Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Went out looking for frogs after monsoon rain...here is what we found

So my husband and I like to go out after monsoon rains and look for frogs, toads and snakes that become active after the monsoon starts.

The other day we had a HUGE storm in Globe. Friends with a rain gauge say we got 2.5 inches in that one storm! It was intense, with tons of lightning/thunder, hail and rain. That evening while grilling in the backyard we heard what sounded like frogs calling. We had not heard that before in our neighborhood. So we went out looking for them. Turns out there was a big temporary pool of water across the highway from us and it had lots of Couch's spadefoots calling and searching for mates.

here is a video of the event. They are cute little toads.

http://youtu.be/Q2Xp1hOOrXY

For those that can't watch the video, here are some pics.

We saw three species of toads that night, the Sonoran Desert Toad (also called Colorado River Toad), the Red-spotted Toad and the Couche's spadefoot toad.

We even found one confused spadefoot trying to breed with the much larger Sonoran Desert Toad! Comical!

Couch's Spadefoot toad

post-1-0-41898300-1405796561_thumb.jpg

sonoran desert toad

post-1-0-52638000-1405796563_thumb.jpg

red-spotted toad

post-1-0-69677700-1405796562_thumb.jpg

Confused spadefoot trying to breed colorado river toad

post-1-0-16785200-1405796650_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing that educational video Amanda. Monsoon song and a whole buncha lovin. :wub:

TJ

• Like 1

Great video and pics, thanks for sharing Amanda.

Very nice pics!

A friendly reminder to any new comers or people like me who just didn't know. The Colorado River Toad is deadly to dogs. The dog must actually lick the toad. If a child picks one up, make sure they wash their hands before putting their hands in their mouths.

I've taken additional non-lethal measures this year to try to make my yard less appealing for them. Hope it works.