Sign in to follow this  
PSEHunter

New youth hunter - questions

Hi all,

This is the first year my Daughter can hunt and she pulled a Nov unit 33 jr deer tag. :D

I have a couple of questions. (I know the area well so I do not need advice on where to go).

#1. Can I carry the rifle for my daughter while hunting?

#2. Will be using a .243. I am thinking an 85gr bullet but have access to 100 gr if needed. Thoughts?

#3. I told her I would clean the first one for her so she can learn but would love to have her involved. What have you all done with your kids?

Thank you all in advance and if you pulled a tag as well, GOOD LUCK to you!

- Phil

Congrats on your kid drawing a tag!!!

From my knowledge, the restrictions for you carrying a firearm are: no rifles can be carried by the tagholder if the tag holder is on an archery/HAM hunt. Only during General hunts. Didn't find anything as far as the hunting party carrying a rifle, but as long as you don't assist in the shooting of the game, you're golden.;P

85 gr. bullet will definitely do the trick, I'd just reccomend bonded bullets.

Don't have any kids of my own yet, but my father helped me with my first animal, I had to get my hands a little dirty, even though he did most of the work. haha.

Goodluck on the hunt, will be expecting a good writeup after the seasons over!!!

-Seth

There's no law against carrying around a rifle in the outdoors. If you're worried, get a hunting license and actively hunt for trophy coyotes while you help her out.

The Department is making a point of emphasis on requiring that she carry her own tag though. A lot of parents carry it for the kids to make sure that it is safe and secure. If you're carrying both the rifle and the tag, expect additional scrutiny.

85 grain should work, but make sure it's not a varmint bullet, which a lot of the lighter 6mm bullets are. I really like the 80gr Barnes TTSX for the .243. It will have enough energy to reliably do the job out to 350 yards or so.

85 grains should be enough.

Use the gutless method and let her get her hands dirty.

Great responses guys so thank you. I have my own license so that is a good idea just in case I get questioned. She will be carrying all of her own equipment (including tag) but I want to be able to help with the weight of the gun for those long hikes up a steep hill.

This is going to be awesome. She already has her mount picked out. Semi sneek with a right turn.

• Like 1

My son had his first experience last year, he carried his own rifle but actually ended up using the one that I brought along (you know the one for coyotes, lions, etc.....) for the long shot. We have since sold that rifle, so on this years jr hunt he will be using my rifle again. I will be carrying the rifle since my elk hunt is the following week. I would hate to have him trip and fall and damage the gun, scope, etc.....I am sure you understand.

As for the cleaning portion, I made the initial penetration. He then made the slit and started to pull out the guts. I helped him cutting the vitals out and giving it a good ole shaking to remove the excess slop. I sawed the pelvic bone for him and he removed the poop shoot. It was comical for the both of us.

Due to the terrain, I drug the deer down from the mountain and into the ravine, it was still pretty nasty until I got it to somewhat level ground. I told him he had to get it to the truck, 3/4 of a mile he drug it, it kicked his little behind but never complained. Just talked about what type of sauage he was going to get.

Good luck, take pics and cherish the memories.

• Like 1

I think you got a bunch of good answers.

I will only add to the feedback on cleaning. Cleaning game doesn't really phase my girls and never has. My oldest did the pig dissection on biology in her class because the 2 boys were pansies.

I never pushed them or made them watch or touch anything. Kids are just super curious so if you act like it is a great honor and answer all their questions they will surprise you and jump right in there touching the teeth, eyes, bones, hide, and so on. My younger one literally wants to see and touch everything and is in awe and has great respect for how the animals are put together and loves to eat/try any wild game she can.

So just let nature take its course and your daughter will be right there with you when you clean her deer.

• Like 1

Last year my son drew that same tag, I called AZGFD and asked them about your question #1, they said it was ok for me to carry as long as HE makes the shot.

I would suggest carrying on an empty chamber just in case someone wants to give you a hard time.

We always carry on an empty chamber anyway.

As far as your #2 question, he ended up shooting his buck at 400 yds on the nose and was using 80 grain Barnes TTSX's.

I'd have no issue with a 80 grain as long as it was of good construction.

#3, your choice...we ended up doing the boneless method.

Good luck on your hunt, it will be fun.

Great questions as I'm getting ready to take my oldest daughter out.

#1. I plan on making her carry the rifle as much as she can, but figure there will be area's I need to help and towards the end of a long swing may need to carry for her.

#2. She has been practicing with a .243 100gr Federal Power Shocks. My wife has proved they do the trick.

#3. She has already watched me and my wife clean hogs/deer, so this is her turn to get her hands dirty. I'll help with any tricky knife usage. She and her little sister's have always helped clean birds and fish, so I don't think there will be any issues there.

Best of luck.

ive got that same tag! i hope that youve got a good spot, because it sounds like she has high expectations of you (already picking her form and all)... i once fantisized of killing a nice antelope and already was saying how it should be mounted (i had a NM lope tag) well, it created some BAD juju and i missed 1 huge lope with my muzzleloader and never got one. im kinda superstitious....

Muley or coues and feel free to PM me your spot....like i said i have that same tag + a pig tag!!!! haha

My younger daughter started her big game hunting this year. She took a javelina in February, and now has an upcoming November elk hunt we are prepping for.

Here are my answers to your questions:

She carried her own rifle except in very steep and loose terrain.

She shot her pig with a .223, and she will hunt deer with a .250 Ackley shooting 115 gr. Berger VLDs. I would opt for the 100gr. .243 bullets myself. Better kinetic energy at all ranges. I used to be a lightweight bullets at faster velocities proponent. And while I have never lost a game animal to that school of thought, I have started shooting heavies for the much better wind bucking characteristics as well as retained energy downrange. But for shots under 500 yds., the 80-85 gr. bullets perform just fine. Practice practice practice. Put the bullet in the right place and it will do just fine.

I cleaned her first big game animal, and will help with her elk if she gets the opportunity, so she does not have to crawl into the chest cavity (she is pretty small). After that, she will be on her own.