Sign in to follow this  
wannahunt

Early November 2014 36B Coues Tag

Hey everyone, my wife and I drew tags for the 11/7-11/13 Coues hunt in 36B. I just want to get the wife out there and hopefully see some nice deer. This will be her first hunt ever and my second Coues hunt since living in AZ. This is my first time ever hunting the southern units.

First let me begin by saying that I am planning scouting trips and this is not a thread in which I am asking for "honey holes" etc etc. I am just requesting a little information regarding the unit.

I hear all sorts of "horror" stories of hunting the AZ/Mexico Border units, obviously safety of the bride and myself are number one. With that being said I have a few questions which I will post below. Feel free to give me any experience that you may have down there (good or bad). We will be taking a travel trailer down for a little added security while camping. I am planning on taking a few people that could watch the camp for us too while we are out chasing the deer.

1) Are there any areas that I should avoid?

2) What are some pointers for security in the area (precautionary measures)? I have a few in mind but im just trying to cover all my bases.

That really should cover most of my questions right now, like I said Im just trying to obtain a little more information regarding this unit and others experiences so that I can be better prepared for anything. Any input is welcome and I will thank you now for any that you give.

Leave some water and snacks outside of your truck/trailer when you leave camp. Majority of break in/ransacks by illegals happen because they are looking for water and food. If you leave a jug of water and some snacks out then they will have no need to break in to your stuff if they find their way into your camp.

Also while out in the field, don't portray yourself as law inforcement. Don't dress like them and don't act like them and you will be left alone. Their goal is to get into the country undetected, so last thing they wanna do is bring attention to themselves by messing with people.

Leave some water and snacks outside of your truck/trailer when you leave camp. Majority of break in/ransacks by illegals happen because they are looking for water and food. If you leave a jug of water and some snacks out then they will have no need to break in to your stuff if they find their way into your camp.

Also while out in the field, don't portray yourself as law inforcement. Don't dress like them and don't act like them and you will be left alone. Their goal is to get into the country undetected, so last thing they wanna do is bring attention to themselves by messing with people.

Thank you for the advice sir.

ive camped in 36b every year except for last year for the last 10 years numerous times each year. It is not as bad as some make it but the illegal presence is there. Just be smart and youll be fine.

• Like 2

you will see illegals. ive had some ask me for water a couple times. buck to doe ratio, 1:100

Agreed, last year I did not think it was bad at all and I like the area. 1:100 ratio is probably not an exaggeration. One weekend I saw ~60 deer and only two bucks. We had a couple weekends that were better but there are does everywhere.

Yeah from all the reading that I have done, it seems like there are a lot more does than bucks. With GFD handing out some 800 tags for this hunt alone, I figured that this unit becomes quite congested. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this unit. Either way I am more than happy to be able to go on yet another Coues hunt. I have done some work near Patagonia so I know that the presence is surely there. I would also assume that they try to steer clear of people. My wife is a bit more concerned with the situation than I am, I believe that if you leave them alone they will most likely leave you alone. Thanks for the tip of leaving food and water out, that is a great idea. Gonna be fun, I'm going to be spending a lot of time scouting between now and the hunt.

I've hunted 36B the last two years in October. Never have seen illegals and I've been all over the Tumacacori's. Likely - it was still a bit warm in October. Feel free to PM me if you want a few spots to try out. We have seen several bucks both years and brought home a couple as well.

thats so surprising to me that some people don't see illegals down there. I only hunt for a few days on the leftover hunts and I think ive seen them every day I was down there. same in 36a for me.

I've hunted down in 36B a couple different times. Oddly enough I've never seen any illegals either. I've seen their trails, and lots of their trash, but never have I seen them. I've even hiked way back in to areas that are 1 mile this side of the border… nothing. They don't want to be seen as much as you don't want to see them. You should be safe if you use any amount of common sense. Also, I always bring a side arm just in case. Good luck, I'll be down there for the same hunt.

• Like 1

If thinking about camping and dont mind 30 other camps try pena blanca campground... I just picked up a leftover for my wife it will also be her first hunt. I spend a lot of time down there if you have any questions you can pm me also. Last year we say 9 bucks during that hunt.

• Like 1

If thinking about camping and dont mind 30 other camps try pena blanca campground... I just picked up a leftover for my wife it will also be her first hunt. I spend a lot of time down there if you have any questions you can pm me also. Last year we say 9 bucks during that hunt.

What dates is your wife's hunt?

Good Deal, maybe we will see ya up there. Im gonna be going scouting when I return back to the state. Probably sometime during the last week of August.