bowsniper

My buck won a biannual Pope & Young Award

This is all your choice but if it were me personally I would insure it and send it to give the animal some well earned recognition.

Mark,

That’s a tough question.

I have always struggled with this sort of thing and have no resolve for myself. I hope you make a choice that is right for you and your family.

I just wonder what Pope, Young and Cabelas would do if no one sent them anything? Would they change how they do things?

To me it's a no brainer............. Thanks, but no thanks!!!! The risk out weighs the return.

Bowsniper, Congrats on your buck and the invitation. The answer to your question in what's in your head. If it were me, there would be no hesitation. I would be building a crate right now! Consult with your taxidermist. They ship heads everyday. Call P&Y they will reassure you that your mount will be very well guarded and protected. Over 100 heads and horns will be shipped to the banquet. Lifesize sheep, bears...

I too got an invitation, to be a panel measurer for the P&Y two year awards. Heading to Pa. at the end of the month for my once in a lifetime opportunity. Hopefully I'll be putting a tape on that beautifil buck of yours. If you do show up at the banquet to accept your bucks award, I'll gladly buy you a beer! The award is for the buck, he deserves it. The beer is for you, you deserve it!! Congrats. Ed F

Thanks for all your comments. I still have a week to decide, and I'm still on the fence.

Mark

Mark what ever you decide to do, we are ALL on your side here at CWT.COM ;) Congrats you deserve this mile stone in life :rolleyes:

I think it all depends on how much of an ego boost you want. To me, it seems like most of the awards feed off of the hunter's egos. They want to see their name in the book, and pay for that, but when you ask the record book people, it is all to recognize the animal.

Keep it on the wall to admire for yerself.

Congrats again on a great buck, it was your decision either way and as long as you are happy with it, it was a good one.

God Bless

Bowsniper, Congrats on taking a super Coues buck. My hat goes off to you reguardless.

To me, it seems like most of the awards feed off of the hunter's egos. They want to see their name in the book, and pay for that, but when you ask the record book people, it is all to recognize the animal.

bowhuntinmaniac, Attend a P&Y banquet and I'll guarantee that your opinion will change. Very humbling experience that puts this whole "ego" thing into perspective. I'm not going to deny that egos are involved, but for most, it is much more than that. I'm glad that you added "To me". Some guys just don't understand. To each his own. Ed F

If anything, the pope and young people that I have met are some of the most humble, down to earth folks in the hunting community.

If you've bow hunted long enough, you better leave your ego in the city...

AzP&Y

Hey Mark,

Did you get a call form the Pope & Young Club today about your Buck???

Pope & Young must not be getting very good responce from Western Hunters....... I received a call from P & Y today, :o kinda shocked me. They wanted to see if I was going to send my Coues Deer buck back there..... and he sounded pretty dissapointed when I said "No". I told him that if they would have their Convention a little closer it to the West it would be something that I would do. I told the guy that PA is just too far away for me.

Maybe if they are hurting I'll send mine in ? :lol:

post-898-1170904840_thumb.jpg

Well, Over 100 heads, horns and full mounts were sent to Pennsylvania. I can tell you first hand that they were well taken care of and will be, until they are shipped back. The panel measuring took place at a new Cabelas store and all the heads are on display at that store until the banquet in April. Viewed by thousands daily. Awsome display. Couple new world records. Most of the heads were shipped inter store which meant that all you had to do was crate it and get it to a Cabelas store. The store shipped it for free! There was tracking because they knew what truck each trophy was on as they were still coming in. No shortage of trophies from the west. I loved measuring the Coues bucks. An experience of a lifetime for me. Ed F

25th Biannual Panel

2836783230039666310NpsilS_ph.jpg

I received a letter from Pope and Young. The letter said that my coues buck I killed two years ago was a “winner” for the biannual award for coues. To recieve the award, I have to build a wood create and ship my mount (my expense both ways) to Pennsylvania. The mount would be gone 10 weeks and would be displayed at Cabelas and at the Pope and Young awards banquette. When they are done with it, they would ship it back. Alternatively, I could take the create to Cabelas in Glendale, and they would truck it both ways for free, but there would be no tracking.

There are 4 bucks up for the biannual coues awards, two 120’s, a 105, and mine 102 (108 gross). If all four were shipped in by the owners, mine would get the honorable mention award. If any other bigger ones were not shipped in, mine would then move up. The process is really a verification of the animal and the measurement, so if it's not sent in, it is not considered.

Some recognition for my buck would be cool, but I’m a little concerned about the mount being lost, stolen, or messed up. It is not replaceable. My wife has already said that “it’s not going anywhere”, but I’m still on the fence. I’m not sure that the recognition is worth the possible risk. Then again, maybe I'm over paranoid. Building a create would consume time I'm already short on.

I could really use some opinions. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mark

Thats a hard decsion take your time and follow your gut..I'm new to this whole P&Y and mounts thing the other day i was showing and talking to my son who'll be our sixth generation hunter and will be going for his first coues this year with me my dad,and my granfather and i relized that we have not one mount,lots of racks some i say are in the high 115's from my grandfather and my dad,and he asked me why we never had any of them mounted since in hunter education they showed him lots of record mounts and said he wants his first mout no matter waht the score is,anywho the ohhs and ahhhs from your friends and family should be good enough but when you get the chance to show it to the world i would say go for it and think possitive and evrything will be fine..THAT IS ONE DREAM OF A BUCK.....HOPE TO ONE DAY RUN INTO ONE LIKE THAT.. ;)