Sign in to follow this  
Tdub

Call Me Crazy 30A!

After trying to get my daughter her first deer tag and being skunked on the draw and left over tags I purchased a 30A tag over the counter. I should've probably just donated my money to the G&F because thats probably what I am going to do anyways. I have done some research and realize that there is limited access which makes the hunting harder. I learned not to mess with the Klumps as well or get helicoptered in! I am planning to go down a few times to familiarize myself with the area I got her the first hunt in October. If anyone has something for me to consider thats great, don't hesitate to say I am crazy either. I guess I wanted to take my daughter deer hunting bad enough that I made a quick decision!

Thanks

Tdub

• Like 1

Yep. Your crazy! :blink:

If you would have chosen 30B, I could help with some info. I know nothing about 30A.

. What do you know about 30b I have that tag. Haha

I know a guy that lives on a ranch there I will ask him if the rancher lets people hunt there

Yep. Your crazy! :blink:

If you would have chosen 30B, I could help with some info. I know nothing about 30A.

I don't know if I was crazy or desperate haha!...... I took what I could get and time will tell. :D

Coues deer hunts ain't supposed to be easy! Tough unit for a kid but big deer get harvested in this unit every year. Be open minded you'll be alright. I cut my teeth on coues deer in this unit as did many kids that have started with me. Perfect opportunity to teach a kid perseverance and patience.

• Like 2

Not crazy to want to spend time in the field with your daughter. I think determined is a better term! Good Luck.

• Like 2

Coues deer hunts ain't supposed to be easy! Tough unit for a kid but big deer get harvested in this unit every year. Be open minded you'll be alright. I cut my teeth on coues deer in this unit as did many kids that have started with me. Perfect opportunity to teach a kid perseverance and patience.

We are looking forward to getting out. Hard hunts are nothing new to us.

Klumps are also very much in 30A. Access is indeed an issue but there are still some very good places to hunt if one is willing to put in the work and be willing to look in different areas. The Dos Cabezas are not the only place one should concentrate on.

Good luck. I actually used to put in for that hunt as my second choice.

I have only hunted this unit once, last year. The area we were in held fewer deer than I'm used to seeing, but some nice ones. My brothers work buddies also had the same hunt as us. They hunted a different area, but they went 5/5. Here are some pics of what came out last year (sorry for the bad pics, but only had my cell phone and the five on the tailgate were from brothers buddies). Be patient and glass hard! Good luck.

JDH

post-51-0-28322400-1407506119_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-13023500-1407506136_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-45682500-1407506148_thumb.jpg

Klumps are also very much in 30A. Access is indeed an issue but there are still some very good places to hunt if one is willing to put in the work and be willing to look in different areas. The Dos Cabezas are not the only place one should concentrate on.

I've heard a lot different things about he Klumps. Where exactly are the Klumps located at in 29 and 30a? Just wondering out of curiosity. I hunt 29 a lot and never ran into them.

Brian

We have a couple of other areas we are going to look to first so we don't have to worry about access. Thanks to everyone for giving me some hope.

I have only hunted this unit once, last year. The area we were in held fewer deer than I'm used to seeing, but some nice ones. My brothers work buddies also had the same hunt as us. They hunted a different area, but they went 5/5. Here are some pics of what came out last year (sorry for the bad pics, but only had my cell phone and the five on the tailgate were from brothers buddies). Be patient and glass hard! Good luck.

JDH

Awesome! My daughter was all giggles looking at these pictures!

Im starting to think of what gun I should have her use. She is very good with her 243, right now I am shooting 85 grn TSX barnes out of it and working up a load with a berger 105 grn. Is a 400yrd shot less too much to ask for? If not I might need to look at getting her a bigger caliber.

Brian,

In 29 the Klumps have the very North end of the Chiricahuas and then to the West to just shy of Apache Pass. They also have quite a bit of land out in the flats as well.

In 30A they have the majority of the Dos Cabezas from just West of Lions Park all the way around almost to where Chuck Brooks land is.

Notice I didn't say what they own as that is opening up an entire different matter but this is where you'll run into them and the land they are controlling. I went to school with a number of the Klumps and also had numerous conversations while out hunting.

hime,

I've camped almost in the exact spot where your brother and his buddies did in that picture. It looks like they had a great hunt.

Brian,

In 29 the Klumps have the very North end of the Chiricahuas and then to the West to just shy of Apache Pass. They also have quite a bit of land out in the flats as well.

In 30A they have the majority of the Dos Cabezas from just West of Lions Park all the way around almost to where Chuck Brooks land is.

Notice I didn't say what they own as that is opening up an entire different matter but this is where you'll run into them and the land they are controlling. I went to school with a number of the Klumps and also had numerous conversations while out hunting.

hime,

I've camped almost in the exact spot where your brother and his buddies did in that picture. It looks like they had a great hunt.

Thanks for the info. Hunted quite a few mulies in that neck of the woods. Just never knew who ran that neck often woods.

Brian