Sign in to follow this  

12A Archery Kaibab Deer

The Archery Kaibab deer hunt is almost here and I'm looking forward to getting up there again! I've been scouting this year, and have seen quite a few deer and some decent bucks. I used to hunt the archery Kaibab hunt every year when it was an over the counter tag and we had great hunts...most years we saw plenty of deer and always had a buck located to hunt. Being that quite a few deer were seen while having unlimited tags in the field, has there been a noticeable difference in finding deer since 800 tags were issued? I'm hoping to hear that the hunt has improved and that more deer will likely be seen. Who else drew the archery tag this year? Has anybody hunted this unit since it went to a draw? Also has anybody noticed any difference in the quality and pressure of the hunt? If you have past pictures of bucks from the archery or rifle hunts, I'm sure that everybody would enjoy seeing them. Good luck to everybody who drew the tag this year, it should be a fun hunt!

I haven't been up there either since it turned to a draw for archery deer. I'm sure that someone on here has, and could let you know if the hunting pressure has changed. Good luck on your hunt.

Its my favorite hunt. I have hunted it for the past three years, and its been phenomenal every year. Find places on top that no longer have passable roads going through it, hike in, and have fun. I've only seen a couple other guys in three years in my hiking area, and none of them were all the way into the sweet spots of the hunting areas. There are still alot of road hunters like there used to be, but I like that, because it pushes all the bucks to my honey holes even more:) I have an elk hunt this year, so I let you have my tag this year :) Last year it was the rain forest hunt, raining every day it seemed like for large parts of the day, but don't let that keep you in camp, its only rain(until it hails, that hurts a little bit.) There is no better time to stalk a deer than in the rain!! The deer literally did not appear to be bothered that it was raining, fed right through it.

• Like 4

I scouted it over the July 4th weekend......feed looked okay, probably much greener now with a months rainfall. Saw a few good bucks and quite a few medium sized bucks (135-150" type).....two mega bucks.

Its my favorite hunt. I have hunted it for the past three years, and its been phenomenal every year. Find places on top that no longer have passable roads going through it, hike in, and have fun. I've only seen a couple other guys in three years in my hiking area, and none of them were all the way into the sweet spots of the hunting areas. There are still alot of road hunters like there used to be, but I like that, because it pushes all the bucks to my honey holes even more:) I have an elk hunt this year, so I let you have my tag this year :) Last year it was the rain forest hunt, raining every day it seemed like for large parts of the day, but don't let that keep you in camp, its only rain(until it hails, that hurts a little bit.) There is no better time to stalk a deer than in the rain!! The deer literally did not appear to be bothered that it was raining, fed right through it.

Good info! I really enjoy stalking deer just after a good rain, it also seems to get the deer out feeding earlier in the evening. This year I would really like to harvest a buck by spot and stalk, but if it dries up sitting a tank might become an option. I've had a few trail cams up there for a couple months, hopefully something shows on them when I check next week.

I scouted it over the July 4th weekend......feed looked okay, probably much greener now with a months rainfall. Saw a few good bucks and quite a few medium sized bucks (135-150" type).....two mega bucks.

Glad to hear you found some bucks while scouting! Did you draw the tag this year, or just up scouting?

111 Good luck on you Kaibab hunt!!!

Glad to hear you still haven't given up on the Ol Kaibab Roy! Also nice to hear there are stilI a few good bucks. I will give it another go next year. Had to put my (almost) annual Kaibab hunt on hiatus the last couple of years. In 2012 I killed a buck in January and in 2013 I didn't have enough vacation time to go on that hunt after drawing elk. My wife just had a baby a few months ago, so by next year, I will be READY! Sure draw for next year. I believe I have 5 deer points now. Thanks for the update. Great info as always!

Glad to hear you found some bucks while scouting! Did you draw the tag this year, or just up scouting?

Just up camping/scouting.......I still love that place even though it's not what it used to be. I arrowed a desert buck in January, so only another point this year. However, I may return to the Bab' next year. Colorado this year....again.

Glad to hear you still haven't given up on the Ol Kaibab Roy! Also nice to hear there are stilI a few good bucks. I will give it another go next year. Had to put my (almost) annual Kaibab hunt on hiatus the last couple of years. In 2012 I killed a buck in January and in 2013 I didn't have enough vacation time to go on that hunt after drawing elk. My wife just had a baby a few months ago, so by next year, I will be READY! Sure draw for next year. I believe I have 5 deer points now. Thanks for the update. Great info as always!

Oh I'll never give up on her.......it's too magical a place and it has been too kind to me over the years. Congrats on this child, my friend......my last one (daughter) is heading off to college (Wyoming) in two weeks......so just my wife and I again. Perhaps when I retire in three years we'll both be up on the plateau once again.

• Like 1

I haven't hunted it since it turned to a draw hunt but I liked that the kaibab hunt always started after the general archery deer hunts in middle of September, half the bucks were already shined up, they had their beautiful fall coats and the rains seem to slow down that time of year. Mike I'd definetly check out parissawampits point if I was you, I've had great success on that point and always a ton of deer. Oh ya, make sure you buy your lion and archery turkey tags, good luck!

Does anyone know off hand if you can draw this tag third choice?

I don't believe you can anymore. Maybe this was the case the first few years after the draw but I believe it's going in the first two rounds now. I could be mistaken. Going to have to take a close look at the draw report...Going by 2013 numbers there were 1076 people that had that hunt as a first or second choice and only 700 tags, so no third choice applicants were drawn.

Thanks for all the great info, I'll definitely check out the areas mentioned for deer!

I talked to Tim Carleson from AzG&F. He said the Mule deer populationi is right at 10,000 on the Kaibab. Elk pop is 20 and no White Tail.

The Kaibab deer heard should be healthy with 10,000 animals. In the past the Kaibab deer population fluxuated between 4,000 animals in 1906, to an estimated 100,000 in 1924.