Coues 'n' Sheep

Archery Hunting in Arizona

Okay, this may sound strange...... maybe too many "deerless" hours in the woods. :lol:

Anyhow...... We have a ton of great Coues deer units in AZ (and NM, for that matter). I have only bow hunted in about 4 units in AZ, but have a real itch to hunt three or four others. So, my question is this....... How do you guys determine where you are going to Archery hunt each year? What motivates you to try a new unit and have any of you had success in a brand new hunting location on the first year you hunted it?

Hire A Guide Gino :lol:

You funny Guy...... everybody funny, now you funny too!!! :lol: :P

No, I mean it....... I'm dying to try these other units and just can't seem to "gitter done"..... no guts I guess.....

I like to know that there will bucks in the area that I will be hunting so I spend the time in the summer and inbetween hunts scouting new areas and the areas I would like to hunt. I try to scout units that I know have good bucks and a bordering unit the same weekend to try and find some new deer.

I spend some time crunching the numbers G&F provides us with in the back of the regs. Take the number of tags issued & multiply it by the success rate to get the number of deer harvested from a particular unit. I use that harvest number as a relative indication of deer populations. I've nailed down a couple units I'd like to scout this way, but as of yet have not taken the time to follow up with the foot work. Good luck.

I agree with mattys281 as that is a great starting point then I'll spend a ton of time with my Topo program to try and narrow the unit down. Drawing a sheep tags really makes you have to make the best of your time to scout the unit in the most effective way passable. the game and fish people really can be helpful also. we all know there is only one real way to scout, and that is time in the field. use the crap out of your GPS and take it back to the topo program. I was really able to shrink unit 43a and find my way around. Hope this helps, just my thoughts.

Mike

I walk the earth, like Caine in Kung Fu, looking for sheds, and glassing any bucks that my bird dog spooks up. Then, when hunting season comes, I reach my hand into my pile of sheds and pick out the biggest, meanest looking one and say - thats the buck I want to hunt!

my pile of sheds...

post-1107-1170788565_thumb.jpg

how many gila monster skulls have you found?

post-1107-1170788572_thumb.jpg

my old shed hunting shoes...

post-1107-1170788589_thumb.jpg

I agree with all of you..... and for the most part we all have our "compfort zone" areas we hunt. This is more like a "wild hair"..... to pick up roots and try something new.... maybe for just one week.... maybe more..... of course how far does a guy want to travel to a new spot is always a factor too..... I just think that it would be a fun challenge.

to me, there is enough of a challenge to harvest a nice buck that i want to stack the odds in my favor, with as little adversary as possible.

I have been trying to find hunting areas closer to home to Archery hunt, my main area is about two and half hours aways. I keep going back because I haven't found a good new area. I see hundred in. whitetail every season, but when I put the cameras elsewhere the quality of deer seem to go done. I like hunting with friends to check out their hunting areas and style of hunting. My general opinion is if you have a decent area it is not broke so don't fix it!! But yet I too still look at other areas. I can tell you some areas not to try!!!! Good luck and scout around, maybe you'll strike gold.

My vote is for 12a the North kaibab, the most beautiful hunting country around, yes I know there are no coues there, but talk about a chance for a mulie of a lifetime, this is the place. And never leave home without a turkey tag when hunting the Kaibab, otherwise you'll regret it as the turkeys walk by.Yes it's a long drive but well worth it, when I went up there I was hooked forever and can't wait for Sept. to roll around, cool breezes the smell of pine trees, ahh.........dreamin' of the Kaibab!!!!!! B) For the record when I first went up there I didn't tag out, passed on 2 shots and missed another, missed a turkey at 30 yards, but you know what that hunt went down as one of my all-time favorites, ranks above hunts where I tagged out, imagine that.

Hey Gino I just sent you a PM. Sorry it took me so long!

Gino,

You need to follow behind all those 5th graders carrying the "How to Hunt Coues Deer" book! :rolleyes: -TONY

Thanks, Tony.... I will look for the packed down trails with with only small foot prints... that would be a good place too start!! Ya know........ I do try to find the good in every situation.... and I think I found the silver lining in this one!!! If I "steal" my son's copy of that book I might then no where Not to look!!!! :lol::blink: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :P :P

PS: Tony you do know, that if you make that 50,000 copies mark I would be very happy to receive a kick back for all the ad work I've done for you. ;) :lol:

:) :rolleyes: :) Anyhow, I did mean for this to be a serious and engaging thread..... I do think that it is very interesting how each of us broach a new area or unit...... and I do always have a desire to try new places and new styles of hunting....... May the thread go on!!!! :) :) :)

So back to serious. :D

Obviously in more than 45 years of hunting throughout Arizona, I've often treaded on new ground. This is especially true since the permit system went into effect; in some cases, my son and I have had to settle for the leftovers.

When that happens, the BEST approach is to do your homework by researching the area, i.e. READING and using the phone to talk to biologists, guides and other hunters. Few places in this state are secret when it comes to the general areas within a hunt unit. Anyone with some knowledge and research will discover certain mountain ranges, and specific areas within them, harbor critters -- regardless of whether they are deer, javelina, elk or Mearns' quail. Of course, those who have hunted in the same general areas a few times will soon develop their 'honey holes,' as you called them.

Many times we've hunted new territory even in units where we had hunted numerous times in the past. A good example is 36B, where we've killed most of our Coues bucks. Another is the Kaibab, when getting a permit there was fairly easy back in the 60s and early 70s. Back then, there was no east and west; it was merely unit 12. So over the years, we hunted about everywhere on the plateau. The one year we didn't get drawn for the Kaibab early on, we hunted the Strip -- a new area we had to research!

Once someone does his seat-of-the-pants research, the next step should be the on-the-ground type; get your butt out there and find either the sign or the critters themselves. It's not too difficult to tell when you're in a good spot.

For the most part, though, I think most hunters are habitual; they hunt the same unit and spots repeatedly because they feel comfortable doing it. They have learned where the roads and trails lead and found good glassing spots, etc. This is probably why many of us get in a rut when it comes to switching to new hunt units or even areas within a unit. Everyone wants to tag a buck, and the best way to do that is by using accumulated knowledge and experience. -TONY