Sign in to follow this  
russd

game and fish cam

He didn't mention it specifically but I let my dog lawfully run on public land with me at times and I'd honestly like to know how it works if he was ever caught in a cage. I wouldn't want to mess with someone's trap/cage but I also wouldn't let my dog just sit there trapped either.

Just open the cage door and let it go. No big deal there. Trappers wouldn't care if you did that as long as a person doesn't damage the trap or take the trap on purpose.

Brian

Thank you and quickly I'll admit I'm not exactly sure how the cage works, but I was definitely thrown off when the comment was made that people carry in the cages.

Looks like I may have misread it, my apologies.

He didn't mention it specifically but I let my dog lawfully run on public land with me at times and I'd honestly like to know how it works if he was ever caught in a cage. I wouldn't want to mess with someone's trap/cage but I also wouldn't let my dog just sit there trapped either.

Just open the cage door and let it go. No big deal there. Trappers wouldn't care if you did that as long as a person doesn't damage the trap or take the trap on purpose.

Brian

Thank you and quickly I'll admit I'm not exactly sure how the cage works, but I was definitely thrown off when the comment was made that people carry in the cages.

Looks like I may have misread it, my apologies.

A lot of people get ticked off that their pet was caught and then they will destroy the trap or take it and turn it in to g and f. Which in fact is against the law as tampering with the trap. On the cage door there is a little latch that keeps the door from coming up, just move it out of the way and lift the door up. Also releasing a targeted aninal,bobcat or fox, is considered tampering. Just for your information.

Thanks again.

If my dog was caught in a cage, I would start by laughing really hard at his stupidity. He has his brief moments of intelligence but as a young lab, he puts his noise in everything. So anything could happen. I then of course would release him and move on, common sense prevails.

I understand Hypers post now just didn't read the "lucky" part right. My bad and sorry for the call out.

They used pellets for a water softener for bait. Legit?

water softener salt is legal... pool salt legal... table salt legal.... mineral salt from the feed store legal.

that is not an azgfd camera..... the ones I have seen they use lock box and bolt it to the tree.

bone collector 777 is right... rules do not apply to azgfd if they are using it for work purposes, but I'm sure some of their employees use this to their advantage and get away with it... like letting someone else finish killing and tag your elk and then sue for 1 million $$$$... not to rehash old shiz.

James

• Like 4

They used pellets for a water softener for bait. Legit?

water softener salt is legal... pool salt legal... table salt legal.... mineral salt from the feed store legal.

that is not an azgfd camera..... the ones I have seen they use lock box and bolt it to the tree.

bone collector 777 is right... rules do not apply to azgfd if they are using it for work purposes, but I'm sure some of their employees use this to their advantage and get away with it... like letting someone else finish killing and tag your elk and then sue for 1 million $$$$... not to rehash old shiz.

James

Bolt it to a tree? Now that is definitely against the law.

Don't know what county you guys let your dogs run but Maricopa County has a leash law. Also have been told by LEO's that if you are having trouble with dogs destroying property or harrassing livestock to shoot them.

http://scottsdalecanineacademy.com/maricopa-county-leash-laws/

Go ahead and shoot my dog, I dare you!

• Like 3

Don't know what county you guys let your dogs run but Maricopa County has a leash law. Also have been told by LEO's that if you are having trouble with dogs destroying property or harrassing livestock to shoot them.

http://scottsdalecanineacademy.com/maricopa-county-leash-laws/

Really? Most of us have a dog with us at some point in the outback I generally have her on a long check cord or running free... either training or hunting or heaven forbid... running free. I know my dog and can control her. Others that can't perhaps have jaded your view.

Dog leash laws- the most unenforced law in Arizona. Arizona trappers lost their right to foothold trap on public land 30 years ago due to a citizen walking their unleashed dog illegally where a trapper had placed a legal trap. Citizen flipped out and the media went haywire. AZG&F did not support trappers and cut their losses and now trappers are restricted to confinement traps (cages) on public land. We can only foothold trap on private land. I had just began trapping in high school and was ticked that all the traps I bought were now useless essentially.

I catch a good number of dogs each season and release them unharmed from both cages and foothold traps. Some dogs are mongrels running wild and others are collared good looking dogs. Believe me I don't want any K9s in my traps as when the door is shut or jaws sprung I can not catch my intended target. Dogs caught in a foothold are not in any pain and don't act hurt. 95% of the time is there no mark on the foot when I release them. Most dogs allow me to use a choke pole and release them from footholds but I have had a few incidences when the dog has been aggressive after I release it and those get put down. Heck I don't even kill coyotes when I catch them. Our coyote lower desert pelts are not worth the hassle of killing the animal in my opinion. This coyote bit me in the shin so stopped and filmed the rest of the release. I was expecting him to try again but he didn't.

I have to get my math straight. 20 years ago. It is in the 1990s that animal-rights groups have made significant inroads in the fight to ban commercial and recreational trapping. In 1992, voters in Arizona were asked to vote on Proposition 200, which proposed a ban on leghold, instant kill, and snare traps on public lands. That measure was rejected, only to reappear in 1994 as Proposition 201. It passed.