Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Looking for advice on Vortex LR scopes

I've got a Savage American Classic in .300 WSM. Currently mounted on it is an older Cabela's Alaskan Guide scope - not a bad scope, I think it's 6-20x by 50mm with mil dots. This was probably a $400 scope new.

I'm ready to put a better scope on this gun, as it is definitely a great shooting rifle, and I've got some good hand loads, and I want to work up some more with berger bullets.

I'm not looking to shoot 1000+ yards - yet, but I would like to put a better scope on it and learn to "dial in" the shot from 300 to 700 yards.

I'm looking at the Vortex Viper HS LR in 6-24x50 and Viper HS-T (also 6-24x50) and would like to have custom turrets that match my load.

So, I know there are lots of you who have experimented with different scopes and would like some real-world experience/advice.

The Viper HS-T comes in either MOA or MRAD, but I don't know which of those is better for learning how to range a target and dial in.

Based on what I'm trying to accomplish, what would you guys suggest?

Jason, great minds think alike. lol Exactly what I have in mind so I can't wait to see what the reply is. I know there are a few that can give some pretty good information on this subject. :)

TJ

MRAD vs MOA...If you use a rangefinder and have grown up using moa scopes which most of us have, stick with MOA. MRAD is good IMO if you plan on ranging with your reticle (although you must be proficient to get real distances and even then it is not as accurate as a rangefinder). If you want a backup to your rangefinder again MRAD would be a good option but for some it is hard to make the switch from MOA to MRAD.

I have the Viper HS 6-24x50 and I like it so far, not the best scope obviously but good enough for dialing shots out to 800 and back. Glass isnt as good as some Leupolds in the same price range but still plenty clear. Power adjustment ring is tough as nails to turn.

Again if you use your rangefinder to find your distances (and not the scope reticle) then I would stick with an moa scope. Just easier to use since most of us know the moa scale much better than the mil scale. You go MRAD you will have to get used to a whole new system but for some it is worth it to have the capability to range with the scope. I would be willing to bet most people that have MRAD scopes still use a rangefinder but want the mil scope because that is the current tacti-cool thing to have.

I personally prefer MOA as that is what I have learned on. Since you are getting custom (load specific) turrets it really doesn't matter though except for your preference on the reticle or if you will be using it to range with as mentioned above.

MRAD vs MOA...If you use a rangefinder and have grown up using moa scopes which most of us have, stick with MOA. MRAD is good IMO if you plan on ranging with your reticle (although you must be proficient to get real distances and even then it is not as accurate as a rangefinder). If you want a backup to your rangefinder again MRAD would be a good option but for some it is hard to make the switch from MOA to MRAD.

I have the Viper HS 6-24x50 and I like it so far, not the best scope obviously but good enough for dialing shots out to 800 and back. Glass isnt as good as some Leupolds in the same price range but still plenty clear. Power adjustment ring is tough as nails to turn.

Again if you use your rangefinder to find your distances (and not the scope reticle) then I would stick with an moa scope. Just easier to use since most of us know the moa scale much better than the mil scale. You go MRAD you will have to get used to a whole new system but for some it is worth it to have the capability to range with the scope. I would be willing to bet most people that have MRAD scopes still use a rangefinder but want the mil scope because that is the current tacti-cool thing to have.

Good info!

I use MRAD but only because I started with it a long time ago and I am comfortable with mil dots/marks. I rarely use them for ranging or windage and have lost any ability to do this quickly. MOA is much more straight forward. Actually you dont need either if you are going to dial in off your drop tool/chart from your rangefinder as was pointed out.

You can get custom tapes for your turret which is much cheaper and you get more than one altitude set up.

http://customturretsystems.com/

As for the scopes you listed I think either will work. Even Zero Stop is really not that big of an issue and can be accomplished almost as well with a colored sharpy and a mark on your zero. We aren't sniping in the dark so you can usually take a look, you should always have your turret zeroed anyway so you know you are starting and your sighted in POI.

Take a hard look at Sightron, Zeiss, Weaver, and Leupold as well. Sightron and Zeiss seem to be noticably clearer. My next purchase will be one of the newwer Sightron models. I currently shoot Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex, Bushnell, and Burris on various rifles/calibers.

The MOA system is easier to keep up with at various ranges. Everyone rounds to a simple 1"/100 yards so 1MOA= Range/100 or 3" at 300 yards, 4" at 400, etc, but 1 MOA is actually 1.047. This is pretty negligible until you start getting way out there so it is used for hunting more. For MRAD it's a fractional distance of 3.6"/100 yards which ends up being more complicated to calculate. MRAD is a base 10 system so it goes 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc instead of the fractional MOA at 1.25. 1.5. 1.75, etc. MOA scopes are a bit tricky depending on what kind of turrets they have as they can be 1/8, 1/4/ and 1/2 moa adjustments so you just have to remember your clicks instead of having a standard adjustment between scopes. When it gets down to it it depends on your preference and whether you want to do alot of math! haha

Take a look at this one, I have the 4 x 16 x 50 HSLR XLR a friend also has this same scope and has put it through a lot of back country hunts (horse and scabbard) and it has not failed.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperhs4-16x50lrffp

I have the hs-lr in 6x24-50, and i love it. Very good optic for the price, i waited forever for it to become available, good luck finding one if you choose to go that route, they are on backorder almost everywhere. Apparently is pretty popular....

Thank you guys for sharing your experience. I'll definitely stick with MOA, as that's what I'm most familiar with. I really like the scope 452x264 linked, and it appears it is also available in 6-24 with the XLR reticle.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperhs6-24x50lr

Leaning that way right now, but also looking at Zeiss.

If you are going to be dialing turrets and not using the reticle save the money and buy the regular SFP model. FFP isnt going to help you any and will only add cost to the scope.

• Like 1