Sign in to follow this  
jim

Bonus points

Just had a thought and was wondering is there point that a person stops putting in for archery and starts holding out for rifle/muzzle loader?

Depending on the unit, you can guaranty yourself an archery tag with 10-13 points. So I guess once you get to that threshold you just have to make a decision on how much longer you're willing to wait. Guaranteed rifle tags take 21 or more points.

I think if You are a die hard Archer stick with it. 13, 14 15 isn't to bad. I'M not and quit at 6-7 points. Now I still sit at 20. The key is do New Mex. to satisfy Your Elk craving in the mean time. I got lucky and drew 3 tags in 6 years there.And if You just want to hunt get left over Coues tags in AZ. Good luck...............BOB!

I'm at 16 points but my plan has been to get that first rifle tag and take the best goat I can find and start putting in for archery afterwards. Can't wait to start chasing goats with a bow. Looks like a blast.

I'm sitting at 18 BP and have debated cashing mine in on an archery tag. I hunt colorado antelope most years to satisfy my craving, but i want to kill a BIG arizona buck. i have taken 4 between 70-78"

Just remember you probably only have one chance to draw a rifle tag. I am all for the archery hunt but if you have lots of points its a hard decision. I think if you are at or near 15 points and you want a big goat then wait it out until you draw a rifle tag but if you have the time and the means go for it with a bow. Good Luck.

I say stick with the rifle tag! I have had 3 rifle tags in 18 years. Put in by yourself, I feel it increases your odds just a bit.

Sorry , i just realized this was an antelope thread. I was talking Elk in the post I made above. I guess the same for antelope tho. If Ya really want to hunt lopes You could go to Wyoming every year on descent hunts. every 2-3 years on good hunts. $280 for tag. more for gas.........BOB!