varnco

Unit 33 Question: Oracle Ridge

So, new to Unit 33, so went and scouted it out this weekend... went past PepperSauce and up to Oracle Ridge... all the way, until it ends.

Why is there a barbed wire fence all the way along the ridge (on the right side as your going towards Rice Peak), so you can't go over to the other side?

Thanks.

Easiest place to build a fence to separate grazing pastures likely. There are fences all over the place.

• Like 1

Thanks.

So, no problems in jumping the fence? I didn't see anything posted as "no trespassing", but in general, I take barbed wire fences as "keep out". Now, it wasn't razor wire, but still.

Thanks for the feedback.

You can jump the fences, and leave the gates as they are, if they are open, leave them open if they are closed leave them closed.

Most of the mountain is open to hunt, just a few spots that are private land. Check out Habimap from AZGFD, it has good land ownership maps.

Most if not all fencing in Az are barbed wire, as long as nothing is posted on the fence you should be good to go. Like stated abover there are maps online showing landowner ship. Also national forest maps will show private land as well for when your in the field as a reference if need be.

I can't even begin to count the number of fences I've crossed.

Thanks for the responses. I double checked online, and there is no private property west of Oracle Ridge, where I was this past weekend. I'll be jumping some fences next weekend.

A.R.S. 17-304

A. Landowners or lessees of private land who desire to pro- hibit hunting, fishing or trapping on their lands without their written permission shall post such lands closed to hunting, fishing or trapping using notices or signboards.

B. State or federal lands including those under lease may not be posted except by consent of the commission.

C. The notices or signboards shall meet all of the following criteria:

1. 2. 3.

Be not less than eight inches by eleven inches with plainly legible wording in capital and bold-faced let- tering at least one inch high.

Contain the words “no hunting”, “no trapping” or

“no fishing” either as a single phrase or in any com- bination.

Be conspicuously placed on a structure or post at least four feet above ground level at all points of vehicular access, at all property or fence corners and at intervals of not more than one-quarter mile along the property boundary, except that a post with one hundred square inches or more of orange paint may serve as the interval notices between property or fence corners and points of vehicular access. The orange paint shall be clearly visible and shall cover the entire aboveground surface of the post facing outward and on both lateral sides from the closed area.

Page 111 in the main regs if you wanted to check it out for yourself