HillBilly_Al

Getting my Feet Muddy

Howdy All,

I just found this forum and it looks like a good-un.

I moved to Sierra Vista from Ohio late last year and drew a white tail tag for 35A this November. From my # it looks like there are goning to be quite a few others in the woods.

Today I started scouting areas by driving 4WD trails, checking streams and troughs and glassing hillsides. Saw a lot of cows but no deer. Saw very few tracks but they might have been mulies. No scat. I plan on being out there at least one day each weekend until the season starts, so if you see a silver Jeep, stop and jaw awhile. I hope to find a place to set up a camp for a week.

Although I just started looking, I'm not sure I am looking in the right areas. Today I have been south of the montazuma pass road and east of Parker Lake, in the rolling grasslands and wooded draws. Should I be looking higher up toward the steeper slopes of the mountain ridges?

I am also trying to make up my mind on which gun to use. I have 243, 270, 308, & 300 WM. At first I was leaning toward the 243 since the deer are so small but now I am having a Jack O'Conner moment.

This is a whole new ballgame from what I am used to so I appreciate any help you pros can offer (yes... I read the post by Rembrant).

Al

Do a search on unit 35A on this forum since the beginning and you will find lots of information, and if that is not enough, e-mail me KGAINES30@aol.com.

Welcome to CWT.

AZGFD also has basic info on game in each unit to give you a start. Some write ups are pretty specific so they tend to be full of other new to coues hunters.

aside from specifics, This forum can be a wealth of general coues knowledge, so be sure to browse and read lots of the posts and you will be wll ahead of the newbie curve.

Welcome to CWD

Welcome to cwt Hillbilly Al- Good topo maps will help you out immensely. These deer can be a bit hard to spot. Good optics and for many of us, a tripod and patience. Find a vantage point and glass till your eyes fallout. Just a safety note- alot of 35A is smack dab in the middle of high traffick areas for human and dope smugglers. Be very aware of your surroundings, not all that goes bump in the night is a four legged critter. Don't be paranoid, but be safe and have fun. These coues are very addictive.

Trufletch

Thanks for the tips, I have already covered most of those ideas but will retrace my steps and see what I missed.

Tell me about IA's? To date I know of about 87 they have gotten in my back yard (literaly) this year. I sleep with a 44spl at my side (again literaly-not on the bed table!)

yea, the well travelled trails do cause concern which is why I am thinking of busting brush to find that out of the way corner. I will tour the lower western side of this unit this weekend and then start climbing up to the wilderness area and the boundry of the Fort (hopefully those hunters will push the deer over the ridge - local rumor says there are supposed be a lot of deer on the Fort property). I am kind of reluctant to regsiter ol Betsy to be shared amonst any agency they see fit, so I will stay on this side of the mountain ,thank you very much.

Do most people pitch tents or just get up early?

Is orange the fasion of choice like back east or can I wear my bullwinkle hat?

heh heh just joking.

al

PS

I got a set of Nikon 10x which are pretty clear but at the phoenix show this weekend I picked up a pair of Minolta 8-20x50 zoom. They are not bad at all up to about 18x or so but at 20x they aren't sharp and clear. In addition to the forest map and topo maps I use a magellan gps that I can put markers etc and then upload to my computerized topo maps. darn I may have to get a laptop and home in on ear tags if thei gets any more hi-tech. Next thing you know we will have scopes with range finders-gps-bullet drop compensators-and real time trophy indicators all built in. Does anyone know what size cartrige belt accomodates AA batteries? I'm gonna need more of them than ammo.

Edited by HillBilly_Al

Bib overalls work just fine n dandy. Just kidding. About anything will work but make sure you have something hunters orange on. Terry Lambeth

I have spotted quite a few illegals while hunting in 35A and for the most part they were trying to stay out of the way, like in the bottom of canyons, there you will also find tons of trash, I camped near parker canyon lake ( Scotia Canyon ) and never had my camp messed with, the border patrol are constantly driving the roads and I camped within view of it. One more thing alot of the forest service roads that head south from there will cross the border into Mexico, no gate, no signs, maybe a cattle guard, the border patrol said the border is no more than a seven strand wire fence( I found this out after scouting about six miles or so into Mexico ).

Good Luck on your hunt.

Hillbilly (great name)

well I'll have to admit I am a youngun but I do know quite a bit about hunting 35A. I've hunted the area with rifle for about 4 years and started bow hunting the area last year (and bow season is almost here, I can't wait). so, caliber wise, I've used a 243 every year. On the coues I shot, I had a full pass through and a beautiful exit wound at a little more than 200 yrds. My dad uses a 270 and nearly blew a deer off the planet last year (long story, quite funny). so I wouldn't reccomend anything larger than that unless your shooting from 500 yrds which is not a good idea.

For places to hunt, I'll give you one hint. The Huachuca Mtns. are a wonderful place with deer in every canyon. I have not gone a day without seeing a buck while out hunting. No lie. Just make sure you don't venture into Coronodo National monument cause of course that is ilegal.

Your optics sound great. They will deffinetly do the job.

To touch on the Illegals. They're all over. My dad and I saw a group of about eight last year while hunting. They are very skittish so if they see you they are most likely going to high tale it. But like coyotes, you always have one or two with rabies that might come after you. So BE CAREFUL. The last thing we need is a dead hunter and you sound like a good guy.

If you need any more help just hollar. Good luck. Bryson

Went out this morning to look up Sunnyside Canyon. Turned in 2 IA's to BP. Saw only 2 sets of deer tracks and I think they are mules. Saw 4 Californications on a trail who were appalled I was looking for bambi. Turned around at a Ranch No-tresspassing sign even though the FS road seemed to go through. Closed a marked gate someone left open. Saw some mulies on Lone Mountain, but didn't see my quarry. There were a lot of streams with water in them and the road berm was still moist so if there were tracks they would have shown up.

I did get a very interesting look from a BP agent that came along as I was glassing a hillside from a main road. He stopped and as I turned around to say HI he noticed the S&W 44 Spl on my right hip, I noticed his eyes getting excited for a moment and he almost said something but didn't, and ended up going with the howdy I offered. good cop - have a donut.

As I was almost out of fuel (shoulda filled up before starting) I had to run for civilization before I could explore the "other" roads not on my map.

Oh well...Next week has another end.

PS- I don't consider myself in the class of the "great white hunter" so.... I'm open to the idea that if any of you local guys that are looking for a hunt partner or didn't draw a tag but want to get out in the fresh air, want to meet up and combine forces to set up a Coues camp in Nov... PM me.

Al

Al

Sounds like you covered some ground and had a productive day!

It is probably a good thing I stay away from that unit. With all the IAs as you call them, I think I might take the law, (protecting my country and state borders) into my own hands. They just tick me off, since they don't do it legally. ;)

Today I went up Brushy Canyon to the end. There were very few tracks but a few Mule deer. It had rained recently so most tracks were washed out. Most streams had running water. The road was pretty rough and had a few muddy silt holes so some sort of 4x4 and mud lug tires are highly recommended. This is really dense growth with a lot of steep slopes. Some signs of IA's but not as much as other areas. I saw about a dozen Mulies on a hillside across from me and they disappeared really fast when they made me. Nothing yet on the grey ghost. One local thinks the increased IA traffic is pushing them into other areas.

I hunted & guided 35a for years. it has a ton of deer!

Most of the Locals hunt the East face Canyons, like Carr, Miller, Ash, or Hunter.

On the S.west side look between The Monument & Lone Mt. With good glass you can look from the road. Stop walking & spend more time glassing.

This time of year you'll be suprised how low & open the country is that the bucks are in, they don't like the thick stuff to much when in velvet.

I'll bet you're walking right passed them.

As we all say GLASS,GLASS,GLASS>>>

DH

Hillbilly...

Since you are getting out there and don't seem to mind putting some miles on your Jeep, look in the northern part of the unit at the Mustang Mountains. I've never seen an IA (illegal alien) there, but I have seen Coues bucks worthy of shooting! Just don't walk too much, other than to a spot to glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!