Sign in to follow this  
chadt45

Arizona elk hunters

The way I've read it some units are open to game retrieval and some are not.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3803560.pdf

Doesn't want to let me post the paragraph but it's the 10th bullet point down on the link above.

I have not had to pack anything down a road yet but my brother hit a bull down a few miles of perfectly good road that we had walked into but we ended up never finding the bull.

(Not trying to open the "another lost animal" debate)

Closed roads? I thought that was a summer deal?

The new forest road management plan. If you don't have one you should get the new official map as to what is an open road. The new rules don't require a closed sign on a road to be closed. The road needs to be on the map as open to be open. That's how I understand it. Maps are free at the office or call them for one.

No sign is a bunch of garbage in my opinion. My 2 favorite roads have gates on them that remain open but are closed according to the map. If you don't want me in there close the gate that's already there!

Another ridiculous part is when you have to pack an elk 2 miles down a perfectly good road because forest service says it's closed.

OUTRAGEOUS!

<end rant>

Wasn't there a bylaw where you could drive in to retrieve game on a closed road? But only to retrieve it? I could have sworn i saw something but could be wrong.

As I understand it, the rule is, you can only drive up to 1 mile off of an "open road" to retrieve an elk. Some units you can't even do that, you have to pack it out. In unit 8 where I like to hunt some roads have closed signs on them and some don't. I know for a fact there are a couple roads that get a lot of use that are technically closed. They don't have signs on them so people keep using them. It would be nice if they would take the time to put "closed" signs on all the roads that are closed. Game and Fish has more or less said they won't enforce the rules because they are different from unit to unit, forest to forest which confuses people. This is the first I have heard of forest service guys handing out tickets. The rules have been in place for a couple years now, maybe they figured that was enough of a grace period and started ticketing people?

Good Luck to everyone !

Seems like they could of put out a lot of road closed signs since 2012 when they started this but I haven't seen one yet. One of the roads I like that is closed has even been graded since 2012 but still no sign. It's like they're baiting me.

• Like 1

I agree they need to put more signs out but the problem is within 5 minutes of them being put up they get run over or pulled out and you dont even know if its open or closed. Although the map is a hinderence it is really the best way

• Like 1

I agree they need to put more signs out but the problem is within 5 minutes of them being put up they get run over or pulled out and you dont even know if its open or closed. Although the map is a hinderence it is really the best way

Still sucks! I have already run into many big camps that are camped in no camping zones and its funny cuz many areas designated camping have never seen tire tracks. or 1 designated camp area is right on 6a & 11m border and not only unused but in meadow in an intersection with houses quite near, gee that sounds fun!

I have the map, I just don't look at it. LOL.

They really need to change the distance to camp rule. I don't see it on the map?