Sign in to follow this  
JustinB

Unit 8 and 9 not managed for trophy elk

while we were hunting unit 8 the past few weeks we bumped into the game manager who informed us that unit 8 was no longer being managed for trophy bulls. He stated that in the last 3 years the have raised bull permits across the board in order to reduce the breeding population and herd size. He stated that the plan has worked and over the last 3 years the size of the overall heard has shrunken. As to why they were doing this he gave no answer. He stated that there were no longer any "big bulls" in the unit. That the bull population was a young one. Well we have hunted the unit for a long time and I can attest to the fact that there are still plenty of big bulls. Yes we did see plenty of smaller younger bulls too but there are still some good ones out there.

A year ago during shed season we spoke with the manager in unit 9 that basically said the same thing about that unit. They were no longer managing it as a Trophy bull unit and were working to reduce the population. Again we never really got a straight answer as to why?

Long and short I am wondering if anyone here has any insight into this new management strategy of G and F. Why are they taking this new course of action? There are still great bulls in both units. Why are they working to try and only have a young immature bull population?

Guest wdenike

Hark! I heard an echo through the topics. Sounds like, could it be?? YES IT IS GAME AND FISH BASHING TIME!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :P :P

Take care, Willie

This isn't just limited to unit 8 and 9. It is state wide and should be something we are all concerned about. Supposedly you all wanted more hunting opportunity and not quality when game and fish was seeking input a few years back. Not enough of us spoke out and the ones who did wanted more hunting opportunity. So for those of you who wanted more hunting opportunity this is what it looks like. Quality elk units are now a thing of the past........

I would not really say I am bashing G&F. Just stating a fact of life. I just think that everyone is looking to get more money, as costs across the board are going up for everyone. Who would have thought 20 years ago that a new truck would cost $50K+??? Or 40 years ago, a new house would cost $150K+? Who would have thought 10 years ago that an AZ resident elk tag would cost $148? That was crazy talk back then.

Would YOU want to work for years and never get a raise? I would not.

Would you rather G&F raise the tags to $350 and offer less tags??? That would mean a lot longer time between tags too, as I don't see people NOT applying because of the price hike. And the dang e-drawing drives me nuts too. If you don't have the cash at the time, DON'T APPLY!

This isn't just limited to unit 8 and 9. It is state wide and should be something we are all concerned about. Supposedly you all wanted more hunting opportunity and not quality when game and fish was seeking input a few years back. Not enough of us spoke out and the ones who did wanted more hunting opportunity. So for those of you who wanted more hunting opportunity this is what it looks like. Quality elk units are now a thing of the past........

Quality elk units are a thing of the past? do you live in the same state as us? although i do not agree with the way things are being managed, there have been more huge bulls killed the last couple years than ever before. it all starts with people not shooting young, immature bulls. let them grow and get old. if you just want to hunt elk put in for cow hunts. to me there is no difference in shooting a raghorn or a cow.

• Like 4

I didn't realize that unit 8 was ever a unit that was managed as a trophy unit. I thought that only units 1, 9, 10, and 23 had an alternative management plan.

As for the increase of tags, a couple years ago I had heard that the forest service had requested an increase of tags to reduce the elk herd in the unit....something about the FS claiming that the elk were cause too much damage to the aspens in the area.

• Like 2

They could provide more opportunity as well as trophy quality. They could issue more archery cow tags IF they didn't run them concurrent with bull hunts.issue spike/cow tags like Utah does. I don't put in for archery cow tags just for the reason that they are during the bull hunt. I'm sure that a lot of early archery hunters have had conflicts due to this problem.

• Like 1

To many hunters. But I sure made a lot of money building homes when they all moved here. Who woulda known :)

I have been following this forum for several years but rarely have I responded to a post. (Plus I have not harvested a animal since 2004, in a bit of a tag drought) Anyways this topic I could not resist. I personally have seen one of my favorite units (22) go from a respectable trophy elk unit to terrible trophy unit. Myself and my family have been pounding the hills of 22 since 1958. Between 1996 and 2007 I participated in seven trophy elk hunts in this unit harvesting bulls from 354 to 395. I believe AZGFD made 22 a opportunity unit some where around 2007'ish. In 2009 and 2011 I was able to help a couple friends on there 22N tags. Biggest bull we harvested was 338. We scouted and hunted our butts off and this was the biggest bull we could find. Sure you can blame it on the drought or the stars not aligning or whatever but I personally blame it on another bad design via AZGFD.

• Like 2

The WM in question needs to read the Elk Hunt Guidelines.

Units 1, 9, 10, and 23 will be managed under Alternate Elk Hunt Objectives.

The bull to cow ratio in these units is managed higher and they are managed for more 6 point bulls.

Hence the TROPHY Unit aspect.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/documents/huntguidelines.pdf

• Like 1

Next time when G&F sends out a survey asking for Quality or Opportunity, lets make sure we all put down QUALITY. There's a ton of hunts in the regulations that provide plenty of opportunity for everybody!

• Like 1