mbiewer

breast or full bird?

So, I've been turkey hunting a number of times without any success. Maybe it's renewed optimism....or maybe the hope of being in unit 23 (seen lots of turkey in here, on random trips).... or maybe because its Monday morning on a 3day/hunt week and my boss isn't in on a Monday

Anyways, I was doing some research on cleaning methods the past couple of weeks. Seems like most of he videos out there are on how to breast out the bird, and leave the rest. The leading argument on this method is "there's not that much here, so screw it". Well I can't say that I agree with that statement at all. There's not that much to a dove or squirrel either.... but the labor still yields delicious game...even if its jus a bite or two,

What are most of the methods here? any tips or tricks that want to be passed around for the group? I can't wait for Thursday to get here o set up camp for Friday morning. just trying to fill the time

Full bird! I cook in a baking bag. After slicing off the big stuff for dinner and sandwiches, pick the carcass clean just like after Thanksgiving, makes great soup! Good luck on your hunt!

• Like 1

First off, whoever said leave any meat is a moron. As far as I'm concerned, wild turkey is a pure mountain delicacy and every ounce should be eaten. They are every bit as good and very similar in flavor to pheasant, quail, grouse and all upland birds. If you want to bake it in the oven with stuffing and such you need to pluck it. If you want to pluck it, you should do it immediately after the kill. Wait a half hour and you will need pliers to pull the feathers. Trust me. Take a couple photos and go to pluckin'. Really. Don't worry about the tail or last joint of the wings. Cut them off after you pluck it. They bake up better than a butterball. Excellent if you are a decent cook. Pluck the neck and everything. When you're done, gut it out. Save the gizzard, heart and liver for giblet gravy. Be sure and pull out the craw. It's the bag stuff stays in before it works through the gizzard. Located where the neck goes into breast. Might have a few little feather tips and stuff left, but get it plucked quickly. Another way we really like turkey is fried. Not dunked in a pot o' boiling peanut oil, though they are probably good that way. But instead of plucking it, skin it. Then bone it out. Breast, legs, wings, back, all of it. Cut off all the meat. Then slice it up into pieces about as long as your finger or maybe a little longer and about as big as your thumb in thickness. Then bread and fry it just like you would chicken. Excellent. Wild turkey is as good or better than anything else the woods offer. Also, when youre done you will feel little creepy crawlys on you. Poultry lice. Don't worry, they can't live on you and die in a few hours. Have fun. Lark.

• Like 1

I brined the one I got this spring in a mixture of rosemary, sage and tyme and then cooked it in an oven bag. It was crazy tender and delicious.