jcarter

Thoughts or experience with Winchester ballistic silver tip ammo

I bought a variety of ammo to shoot through my wife's new 270win. The Winchester 130g ballistic silvertip by far shot the best groups , right under 1 MOA. I was pretty happy until I started reading online the horror stories. People were complaining of no exit holes and the bullet not holding together after impact. most of these reviews seemed to be 4 or 5 years old. Anyone have any experience with these or ballistic tips in general? Will be used on WT

I love them, they are not designed to stay together, they are not intended to exit. They are a nosler ballitic tip with moly coating.

I want a bullet to dump all energy in the animal. They fragment well, which i look at as hundreds of wound channels. Bullets kill by hydrostatic shock and nothing delivers it as well as a ballistic tip. On coues/ antelope size game penetration will not be an issue.

If that is not your cup of tea, the factory loadings with the Nosler accubonds would be a good alternative. Same profile and coefficient as the Ballistic tip.

• Like 1

I shot a buck at 218 yards with a 95 gr silver tip out of my .243. He jumped once and died. They group well from my rifle

• Like 1

I killed a badger with a 130 winchester ballistic tip in 270wsm and no exit. I killed a bull elk with a 338 win ballistic tip 200gr with no exit, the elk went about 20 yards and piled up. They have grouped well for me in my rifles, and so have core lokts. The core lokts are nasty killers. Im re-loading my own now , but I like core lokts better than the ballistic tips.

• Like 1

I loaded up 2 loads for my 300 ultra mag using the combined tech silver tips ... They performed excellent .... in the end I was using only The silver tips ( 150, and 180 grain ) and The swift Scirocco 2 in 165 grain ...

• Like 1

I have shot these rounds out of my ruger 300wsm. First experience was my 112 inch buck at 515 yards shoulder hit buck never took a step just hit the ground ,second was my son 409 yards hit 3x3 shoulder hit, never took another step. 3rd my deer last year 505 yards down no tracking. An last my buddy Luke 100 inch buck 687 yards dropped in his tracks. so I'm sold on these rounds they shoot very well out if my gun and deer don't Stand a chance.

• Like 2

I shoot Core Lokts out of my Rem 700 .270. They group well for inexpensive factory loads. I've shot three bucks that have dropped in there tracks...no exit. No experience with the Ballistic Tips. You want a quick expansion bullet to drop them on contact. They are tough little buggers and hard to find with a small hole punched through them.