fisher_hunt

best custom built rifle

I agree with Lark. Just about every rifle, with a good trigger, proper bedding and reloads that are tailored for it, will shoot better than most hunters can shoot -- and just as well as most "custom" rifles.

A good trigger, proper bedding and good reloads will even make an inexpensive Savage shoot good 'nough to kill a deer out to 500 yards if you have a proper caliber, although it will do nothing for the Savage's inherent extraction problems.

I suggest you take your $2000, add another $2000, and go shoot a couple of caribou in Newfoundland.

If it were me, I'd take the $2000 and buy a plane ticket to Botswana where I can shoot as many kudu, wildebeest, eland and impala on a friend's ranch that the Bushman in a nearby village can eat -- and I'd do it with the trusty ol' 7 mm Rem Mag I stocked myself from a chunk of walnut another friend and I cut on his ranch in the Hill Country.

The action is a Czech-built Mark V Mauser to which I added a Timney trigger and a Winchester Model 70-type trigger. The barrel came on the action.

I have no more than $300 in that rifle (not counting the Leupold 3x9) and it's killed maybe 150 head of game on six continents.

I wrote a book last year for a guy who has hunted Marco Polo argali ($30,000 each) in Tajikistan two to three times a year, every year for the past seven or eight years. He can afford the finest custom rifle, but he shoots an out-of-box 7 mm Rm Mag Sako with a Swarovski scope. He believes a quality scope is more important than the rifle. In his words, "a $5,000 rifle with a $150 scope is a $150 rifle."

Bill Quimby

I agree.

Go spend $600 on a Tikka, a little over a grand on a new Sako 85 or a bit more than that for a Cooper (beautiful wood stocks by the way) and spend the rest of your dough on OPTICS!

A 6.5x284 is a great choice to get away from recoil. Outshoots the venerable 300 past 600 yards cause the bullet is slippery. Most of the 1000 yard guys are using some variation of it. Only draw back is you have to handload, but you should anyway.....

I have several custom rifles that shoot great. My Cooper Phoenix outshoots all of them.

How many of you have heard of guys that spend boku on a bad azz custom then shoot it 10 times before they go hunting?

Most of the problem is directly associated with the nut behind the trigger........ :P

"Any good rifle that you buy off the shelf will shot better than you can shoot it"

Bryan, gonna have to disagree on this, some rifles flat out wont shoot! seen this before with a guy who knows how to shoot and reload real well! but then again, that was a belted magnum.

casey I disagree with you. just cause :P

Hey Red Rabbit, thats the number for Glen. If you get in there to see him tell him Chris Weaver from Casa Grande said hey! He does build a heck of a rifle and is just a wealth of knowledge. He worked for Harris-McMillan years ago and then went out on his own. Good Luck on the draws!

Bryan, wanna compare groups?

Now, i do not think my 270wsm is the best custom gun ever made, but if i do my part, it shoots 1/2 inch or so 99% of the time. my best with that gun is a .184...... i shot two groups saturday with Doug, one was a about 1.7 in which i did not feel good about two of the shots. the next one measured at .6

The rifle is a Bettin Custom built on a Mauser 98 action richards microfit thumbwhole stock with a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 scope. coues and coyote killer!

I shoot a Lazzerroni 7.62 firebird (7mm)Sako 120gr. lazerheads barns and burger bullets. It has a free floated barrel with a baush&lamb 4-12x42. I used this gun for 1000yrd hunter class. as well as for coues or dogs that hang up way out. When my 243 modle seven 55gr.TNT poppers will not make shots at 600yrds. I'm not saying pick up one of the Laz guns. and try to shoot deer at 1000yrds. I haven't even attempted a 600yrd shot on a coues. 585yrds though!But What Im saying is do some good home work like your doing. heck even the gun you do get. you might not like it even though you put 2,000 - 3,000 bucks into it. Its what you fell when you take that shot. And know that it was a good shot. Because you know your gun. Practice!

Glen Pearce was going to contract with Lazzironi and Savage a few years back to build Savages in the Lazzaroni calibers but something happened between the two companies and the deal fell through. He built two guns for Schmitt and Bender about 6 years ago to take to Australia and demo their sniper scopes. On of the guns was a .338 Lapua and the other was I believe a .300 win mag. .

Doug,

Sorry for the late reply but your probably right about the fibergrain stocks. I just remembered that they had made them a while back and googled McMillan fiberglass woodgrain and that's what I came up with. Always thought they looked cool but wasn't sure if the woodgrain wore off after use in the field or not.

Lazzeroni did come out with the Patriot (.308) made from the Savage Weather Warrior rifle. That is the rifle that I shoot. I am not sure if they are still making it though. I reload my own ammo from a load I got from Kirk Kelso from Pusch Ridge Outfitters and it will shoot with any gun out there. Not saying that I can but the rifle can.