fisher_hunt

best custom built rifle

thanks for all the info and links. i was impressed with Hill Country Rifles, it seems like they do good work at reasonable prices. I got two more questions though...first i love the look of wood stocks but it seems that most custom rifles are built on synthetic stocks. Wood stocks are prone to warp so accuracy could decline if exposed to extreme weather but synthetic stocks would stay accurate longer. Am I right in this thinking? Lastly, i want a rifle that i can shoot a lot and be accurate with out to 500 yards for deer size game. I'm thinking .243, for its low recoil and price of ammo?? any thoughts, thanks.

I would REALLY look at a Christensen Arms for what you are looking for. Amazing rifles, with incredible accuracy, and extremely lightweight. I have a 300 ultra from them and i get about 3" groups out of it at 550 yards under FIELD conditions. Not a bench rest. And the gun weighs about 7lbs scoped. All built off of a Remington action. To answer your stock question, synthetic stocks are more accurate and are typically lighter than wood. The only advantage you have in wood is the looks. But i think my rifle is gorgeous, maybe i'll try and post a pic :D . Also, if you are looking to shoot out to 500 yards i would stay away from the 243. Just not enough punch at that range. Not to mention that a small amount of wind can play havoc with that bullet at that range. For deer size game at 500 yards I would recommend a 270 or a 30 caliber. If recoil and ammo cost is a concern, the 270 is the obvious choice of those 2. However, for an all around caliber that you can stretch out past that 500 mark if you really had to, my personal choice is the 300. Good luck with your purchase.

I'm in the process of having one built as we speak. I decided to go with Randy at R&D Precision. The total cost, with me supplying the action is about $1450.

Kirby Allen builds great rifles as well as Doug (Redrabbit) can attest to. You also have Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge, Chris Matthews of Long Shot rifles and George at GA Precision.

Stocks are a tough issue. Get one that you can pillar and bed (glass or steel). I decided to go with a McMillan M40a1 (HTG-general purpos hunting stock). The $450 for this stock is included in the $1450 quoted above.

There are a couple of website I'd recommend you hang around before you decide:

snipershide.com

longrangehunting.com

precisionlongrangehunting.com

Best of luck

Scott

Years ago I sent my "right out of the box" 300 Wby mag to a place in Michigan called Answer Products had them go through it top to bottom.....they did work to the action, trigger, barrel, pillars & bedded the stock, and the pad & break (The Answer System). Their break adds 1 3/4" to the barrel length and looks like it grew there...... It is one of the nicest breaks I have ever seen and it kicks less than a .243!!! Anyhow, I think I gave them about $900.00 bucks for all that they did and that gun shoots tighter groups than any other gun I own. I would love to have a Christensen Arms 300 Wby mag.... but to have it build the way I would want it is about $4,400.00..... :blink: ..... sooo when I do get another 300 Wby I think I will do it in similar fashion. Unless my wife Forces me to buy that Christensen Arms one that I want......... :lol: :lol: ...... Ok I'll stop dreaming now..... <_< ........ hey... it could happen! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you shoot that 300 as bad (I mean as good) as you shoot that Mathews? :o :o :o

why custom? why all the $$$$$$$$$$? any good rifle, a 700 remington, sako, tika, etc, with a good trigger job, floated barrel, good optics and some serious ammo tailored to the gun will shoot better than 99% of the folks shooting anyway. i'd include winchester, but they quit makin' em. i saw a 700 sendero at sportsmans whs this weekend in .264 win mag for a grand. fluted barrel. synthetic stock. all stainless. sorta heavy, but it'd shoot for sure. and they make it in all kindsa calibers. can't get much better for 4 times that with a custom job. and this is real high end off the shelf. another grand or so in optics and ammo building and it'd dot a gnat's eye for sure. i'm real impressed with the tikas with long barrels and hot cartridges and they're only about 600. main thing is ammo that the gun likes, a good scope, a long barrel and lotsa practice. lotsa practice. nothin' wrong with a custom gun, if you have the money and are a good enough marksman to get that extra 1/8" group reduction that them extra thousands might get ya. i'd be more inclined to spend a 'ho bunch on really creative optics and ammo development in a good solid off the shelfer, than to spend enough to put a kid through college on a custom gun. oh yeah, and none o' them stinkin' weatherby's or 7mm/08's. they just ain't right. Lark.

Gee Lark, you're taking all of the fun out of building a project. Sure, one could spend just a little on a Savage 270 with Accutrigger and likely get a shooter, and put the extra cash towards a case of ammo and an out of state hunt. (Considering the draw rates in AZ, an out of state hunt would be good)

Doug~RR

hey, i didn't list no savages. i'll only go so low. they're ok for some stuff, but that pinned on bolt head ain't what i want on any serious gun o' mine. i've seen em fail before so i'm purty sure they'll do it again. i said good guns, dangit. you guys could go to africa for what you're talkin' on them fancy custom shooters. Lark.

A friend has a couple Savages and they don't impress me either.

For anyone interested, here's approximately the cost of having a rifle put together.

Donor action 400

Contoured stainless match barrel 300

True action 200

Thread, chamber & crown barrel 200

McMillan stock 450

pillar bed the action into stock 175

Teflon coat the barreled action 200

Total $1925

Why would you spend $2,000 on a custom built rifle and shoot factory ammo through it? I know this was sort of touched upon but that's just odd to me.

Give Match Grade Arms a look.. I've got a .300WSM getting built there right now.. Should be ready this summer. Just in time to break it in with that unit 9 early rifle hunt!!

Hill Country Rifles is another. I took a HCR in .300RUM to Africa last year. Great looking and shooting custom gun that was deadly on all the critters I hunted.

Any good rifle that you buy off the shelf will shot better than you can shoot it. add some custom touches like a trigger job and a good stock and good handloads. Its cool to spend the cash if you have money to burn but why? I say spend the cash on swarovoki optics and other hunting tools that you really need, Instead of having all your eggs in one basket.

What ever you do keep us posted we all like to see quality stuff good luck.

Carl,

I thought McMillan stopped producing the Fibergrains. I noticed that link was associated with a 1996 catalog. It would be nice if it were available again. I don't see it on the current website, though.

RR

"Any good rifle that you buy off the shelf will shot better than you can shoot it"

Bryan, gonna have to disagree on this, some rifles flat out wont shoot! seen this before with a guy who knows how to shoot and reload real well! but then again, that was a belted magnum.

Try Pearce Quality arms in Camp Verde. He just moved up there from Sierra Vista. He built a .300 win mag for my and it shoots great, he does alot of thousand yard guns and has done alot of L.E. guns, he does alot of research and development for Schmitt and Bender and has built guns for the 2000yrd competion. If you want his number I'll get it for you his prices are very reasonable and work is class "A"!

Hunterdude,

I got this from Dex Online. Must be the same person. Nice to know that someone is close to Flagstaff.

Doug~RR

Pearce Rifles

(928) 634-3006

781 Airpark Rd

Cottonwood, AZ 86326-4066