Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Got some bear questions

So the past ten years or so i am normally a bow hunting freak for coues deer during august and have been very successful the past few years. With that said i decided to find some new areas and when i did i started getting lots of bears on cam. It hooked me! Sense june of this year i have been on a mission to shoot me a bear and put bow hunting coues on the back burner. Hunted the heck out of august in a couple different units and even glassed up a decent bear in the pears. I then realized two things. I need to invest in a long range rifle because when i glassed up the bears all i could do is watch due to distance and canyons in front of me and i knew there was no way i would make it close. Always bow hunted never took up hunting with rifle. Second thing i learned is u really cant hunt bears along.or u better have a good buddy to call and help u. My questions is about the later bear hunts and how you guys hunt them during this time of year in october.In higher elevation what are the bears eating? Do they roam or have a core area? Should i stick with an area i have seen bear but last month? I really have no clue what i am doing but i am puttin in the miles just need a little advice on what to do next. And maybe some food that is in bloom this time of year that the bears are eating? And i love glassing so i will be doing alot of that. Thanks guys for any info. Anything will help

After the upcoming cow hunt find a gut pile or where someone has boned out an elk. You could put z blind on it or s tree stand and still use your bow.

• Like 1

Friend glassed two bears crossing a meadow in a high alpine forest. Headed over that way and watched them working on a cow elk kill for a few hours. In the afternoon bear number three showed up to feed on the carcass. So, yes, a gut pile or a downed animal that someone lost is a great food source this time of year. Acorns are also on the menu. Plenty of juniper berries are ripe and falling, so that is also a food choice for bears.

• Like 2

I just got back from hunting bears. We seen 11 bears total. Every bear hunt Ive been apart of I have seen bears and lots of bears. Food source is the key. This year we found bears in the prickly pears. I cant stress enough food source, food source, food source. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

• Like 2

Anyone from your hunt fill their tag on one of the 11 bears you spotted?

Kidso unfortunately one guy missed a few shots. I had a shot at a very pretty blonde bear but elected to pass because I promised I wouldnt shoot until my little brother got one. He hasn't killed one yet. The other bears we just couldnt get under 1000 yards beacuse the country was so rough. Jmall the bears we were on were eating the pears kind of in a transition zone where the prickly ended and the juniper berries were falling.

I didt think the pears would still be ripe but then when i think about it i have hunted quail a lot and a few of them i shoot always seem to have a face full of the pear juice so why not the bears?

Don't be afraid to go by yourself...just be prepared. Also Don't rule.out archery. A lot of bears are killed with archery gear each year. I hunted alone with my bow and killed a nice bear.

• Like 1

Replying to this late. But, I agree with another poster, it is all about food. I hunt bears a lot and use to guide for a local outfitter. I took a nice old one this year. Saw about 5 in 3 days. A 300 RUM with a quality scope and 180 gr sirrocco will be your best friend. I usually hunt alone. PM about next year if you want!

• Like 2

I'm curious about hibernation in Arizona. If there's no snow will they still hibernate? How much snow would it take for them to hibernate or will they go to sleep even if there's no snow?

My experience is they still sleep. Never heard of any bowhunters seeing any in January. I don't think it is snow. Just temps in the high country. Plus, this cycle is when cubs are born. My opinion anyway!

• Like 1