Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Jake's 2nd Coues, streak continues at age 11

Jake got drawn for unit 33 jr hunt Oct 10-16. With all the family sports going on we had to make this a day to day hunt, we got up at 3:30 and hit the road by 4:00. I was a little leary about a creek we had to cross (by foot) due to the 5+ inches of rain the past two nights up on Mt Lemmon. I was right, it took us an additional 30 minutes walking down stream to find a passable spot without getting totally soaked. We headed up the mountain and got to our glassing spot with ample time to get situated to start glassing. Immediately saw some does below us feeding, I told Jake time to make some $$. Once again to keep an eleven year old interested in glassing I would pay him $2.00 a doe and $5.00 a buck. Well right away the boy was $4.00 richer, he spotted a doe and a fawn. Right about that time I picked up 2 bucks about 800 yds away, I told him we got horn let's go. We backed around and got within 380 yds, I wasn't comfortable with him taking that shot even though I new the rifle could. We backed around again and he earned another $4.00 bucks, darn kid was gettin rich. We got on top of this little ridge and had to get on our knees and sometimes duck walk for about 80 yds to get to where these guys were at. That wasn't pleasant due to all the shin daggers. We got set up and ranged the 1st buck at 232 and the 2nd buck at 240. We tried prone, not comfortable we tried using the bi-pod wiggling too much. Finally after 20 minutes of getting things just right he said, " dad, I am ready". I told him I would keep an eye on both bucks just shoot and chamber another round in case you need it. He shot at the closer one and it jumped straight up and high-tailed it around the tree where the 2nd buck was at. I couldn't tell if he hit it but the reaction of the 2nd buck it appeared that he was looking at his buddy rolling on the ground. A few minutes go by and the 1st buck walks off unscathed, I tell Jake shoot at the 2nd buck which was just standing out in the open. Bam......Buck goes down @ 240 yds. Hooting and high fives and a few knuckle punches. We walk down and start the fun after a few pics. And wouldn't you know it, as we are dragging the deer we jump a very nice 3x and of course it stops at 100 yds and turns and does the nanny nanny doodoo you can't shoot me. Oh well, always next year. Dropped off at WGP and now it is relax time.

post-2173-0-53066400-1412986244_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nice job! Congratulations on your successful hunt Jake!

Nice job GC, we'll be out there in November......come glass with us.

Money for Glassing deer. That's a great idea. I think there needs to be a limit after the 3 rd year :)

Money for Glassing deer. That's a great idea. I think there needs to be a limit after the 3 rd year :)

It could have gotten expensive, good thing I found those buck early. 3rd year sounds good, except I got 2 more chitlins right around the corner just itchin to make some $$.