Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas110

thinking its "funny" to kill a deer

Took a head shot once. Animal dropped in its tracks. 80 yard shot with 180gn 06. Excited, I walked up to it only to find I had blew its jaw clean off and it was lying head up hill, lifting it's head choking and gasping for air as it looked at me choking on blood. I slit its throat and ended the suffering. My happiness went to empathy after that 80 yard walk. I always say a prayer and thank god for my kill, that time I apologized for my mistake as well. Empathy quickly turned back into happiness and maybe some laughing and fun but not because of my bad shot, because of the joy of the hunt and the kill.

• Like 1

Took a head shot once. Animal dropped in its tracks. 80 yard shot with 180gn 06. Excited, I walked up to it only to find I had blew its jaw clean off and it was lying head up hill, lifting it's head choking and gasping for air as it looked at me choking on blood. I slit its throat and ended the suffering. My happiness went to empathy after that 80 yard walk. I always say a prayer and thank god for my kill, that time I apologized for my mistake as well. Empathy quickly turned back into happiness and maybe some laughing and fun but not because of my bad shot, because of the joy of the hunt and the kill.

isnt it wild that you can have those feelings, but a guy like lance feels nothing at the sight of a suffering animal.

isnt it wild that you can have those feelings, but a guy like lance feels nothing at the sight of a suffering animal.
as I said above I feel the recoil of the gun when I find a animal in suffering...and sometimes feel a ringing in my ears.

Az lance is free to feel whatever he chooses. I'm not judging anyone on emotion. I judge on stupidity, lack of common sense, and wrong doing. So far he just expressed his emotions, his choice, I have mine.

• Like 1

I think that there is something wrong with the person that doesn't express some excitement, doesn't shout joyfully, or jump up and down!!

I didn't read anyone say anything wrong about showing excitement, but if you're initial reaction is "lol" after you shoot an animal. you're a different person than me. AZlance, you really don't feel anything when you have to walk up and finish off a wounded animal? You guys are cold as ice.

I sat here reading all of these and didn't know where I stand. I guess right in the middle. I do enjoy the hunt, the shot, and the reaction of the shot. I shout for joy, and high five. I love popping a dove or a quail when you have that feather burst shot! I love seeing a coyote flip backwards after you take him. I love being out doors and do see the animals as beautiful. I love the meat I get. But yes Trophy hunter when I do see an animal suffering I feel bad. I prefer to see these die in the split second of the shot is taken. I don't want them to suffer, but can't help but laugh at some reaction you get. I would say a lot of people I know are like me, but that's my opinion and I could be totally wrong. But food for thought?? What about the bow hunters? They are shooting a triangle knife through them and it usually takes 5 minutes to an hour till they die. Yes there is a little sympathy for them but I'm to excited!

But let's be clear I don't ever laugh at the pain and suffering of the animal that needs to be finished off

I never feel any sorrow or sympathy for a suffering animal. What I do feel is a strong urge to end the suffering, not because the animal might be suffering, but because that completes the challenge of killing an animal. I think there is way too much Political Correctness in hunting today. The whole idea of Hunter Education preaching to our kids that we don't kill, but we harvest animal is total BS. I harvest Pumpkins and corn not animals! If you cant come to grips with the idea that you KILLED an animal maybe you need to find a new sport.

As far as laughing, I see nothing wrong with it. Heck, most of the funerals you go to now a days they tell funny stories so you can remember the person in a good light instead of in pain.

Respect for the animal is much more than if you laugh or don't laugh. It comes down to the hard work you put into the hunt and using all edible parts of the animal.

And I do say a little prayer after I kill an animal, it usually goes like this: "Lord, please let me get this animal back to the truck safely, and let the back straps melt in my mouth when I get home."

• Like 1