kingbeer

first time mule deer hunt

I heard that AZGFD.gov, under the hunt unit description, is a great resource for pointing people in the right direction. If i were new to hunting, this would probably be my first place to look. I have also heard that there are unit maps on the website that show what part of the state the units are in?

yeah i have been reading this over and over again. i will have to just throw a dart to the map and just go with it! and like most have said just have to get the boots on the ground! so we shall see what happens. i dont really care if i bag an animal i just want to get out there find one and try the spot and stalk. i know that i will enjoy that alot

Sounds like your hunting buddy needs help too.

Why say throw a dart when you've been given good advice? Not cool.

I'm thinking 22 is full of bear, got pictures of one first time ever in 22

Sounds like your hunting buddy needs help too.

Why say throw a dart when you've been given good advice? Not cool.

I'm thinking 22 is full of bear, got pictures of one first time ever in 22

ok sorry didnt mean for that to come across rude just take the advise that was given with each of the units and then toss a dart a coin or something to pick where i should go first!

as far as unit 22 i was up near tonto village. i talked with a few of the locals and they were getting ready for the fire season and had alot of heavy equipment running two wks before i got there so i think that it ran everything out of there for a bit. but that is another place that i am looking to hit again and see if there is any luck up there

You may want to look at this thread(http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/52844-scouting-101/ ) as to how some feel as well as pointers on getting out and learning the areas on your own... You ask about What Units you may get lucky in, and the answer is any and all. As far mentality goes, by reading your reply about bear in 22 it would seem you need to spend a lot more time putting leather to the ground and learning the trails and roads that give you access to get out and hike and discover new places.

We've all been new to AZ hunting and to specific areas at some point...no sense busting someone's balls for asking questions. Lots of good advice here (sorry I know the southern units so not much help) and bottom line is getting out there...sounds like you plan on doing that and now have some good starting points.

Good luck and let's see some pics of your successful hunts soon!

• Like 2

You may want to look at this thread(http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/52844-scouting-101/ ) as to how some feel as well as pointers on getting out and learning the areas on your own... You ask about What Units you may get lucky in, and the answer is any and all. As far mentality goes, by reading your reply about bear in 22 it would seem you need to spend a lot more time putting leather to the ground and learning the trails and roads that give you access to get out and hike and discover new places.

i will agree with you 100% on that one. but with having two young kids it is hard to get out as much as i want to. i will check out that thread. thank you

We've all been new to AZ hunting and to specific areas at some point...no sense busting someone's balls for asking questions. Lots of good advice here (sorry I know the southern units so not much help) and bottom line is getting out there...sounds like you plan on doing that and now have some good starting points.

Good luck and let's see some pics of your successful hunts soon!

oh trust me once i get the golden moment big or small i will be putting pics all over here

I may have come off like a jerk, but its that time of year when this site gets loaded with similar questions. Having said that, I do find my advice to be helpful.

• Like 2

What Edge said! Just go north from where your from. Honestly a lot of my time for archery was a side gig hunt. I usually focused on rifle, and when I didn't bag out I would go on a day hunt with my bow just to get out and hunt. I had no plans I just found a spot hiked in, glass, hiked, glass. Without any scouting i shoot at a little spike and missed, stalked a really big 2x2 mule, and put on a 1-1/2 hour stalk on a 190 inch mule deer (no joke). And yes no luck got busted by a doe. These were all close within 25-40 minutes. Just make it your scout/hunt all in one. If your dead set on bow hunting and really want something then you really need to put the time out in the field. And yes it's very common to hike miles and miles and glass and glass and not see anything. Then 2 weeks later same spot you spook up 3 bucks and glass 5 more. It's the name of the game. Good luck

• Like 1

43F nothing that you said was helpful! it was condicending. people are on this site to find information and also help people if you can! there is nothing wrong with asking a question. and i am sure that when you first got out of diapers and starting your hunting you had alot of questions. and maybe you didnt put them on a website but i am sure that you talked with someone.

i am also sure that the person that talked to you about it didnt say "hey lazy a@@ why dont you take your fat feet and start walking the hills and maybe if you just look you will find something!"

so really just chill out on peoples posts, we are all just trying to find a coin in the units (starting point) and then we will go out and find the pot of gold! so sit back have a coke and smile and just chill!

zeke-BE

It's true aint it!

I see herds of mulies north of the lake and some dang big bucks, too. Been leading trail rides out north of there for years and have often seen good numbers of them long eared deer and one of the biggest bucks I ever seen.

Bag one with a bow and you're a hunter worthy of homage or dang lucky.

I got one other spot closer than the lake with deer, but It's top secret.

• Like 1

43F, I feel you were spot on with your advise. All I've seen are excuses from KINGBEER on why he can't do the leg work that MOST of the HUNTERS on this website have put in over the years. Broken Truck, Two Kids. When I started out I had an old Pinto, put my two kids in it and hit the back country. If you love the hunt you get out and do it.

And all the other guys that have offered advise is great. This website, with a little imagination and it's search engine is unbelievable for any first time hunter. I have used it for many years. First during the draw you can find out where many of the hunters have drawn tags and what species they drew. Then during the season many of those hunters post success stories and photos. Put the two together and you get a pretty good idea what units to look at.

Also, as stated Google Maps and Google Earth are amazing for on line scouting. Topos, Satellite and Terrain maps. Put the three together and you have vegetation, elevation gains, valleys, open parks, water sources, coordinates.

Then, like 43F said, put your boots on and take a walk.

• Like 2

Don't know much about areas around the valley but if you ever need info on good places to start in southern units I'd be more then happy to point you in a good direction. I'm here to help other hunters that share the same passion I do as much as I can, not rag on them for asking for help.There's a lot of internet tough guys out there. Dont pay them any mind. Good luck to you.

What units are best? If you're just looking to tag out, and don't necessarily want a monster, look at the G&F regs. At the end of the section for each specie, there are draw odds and success rates. Good place to start. If you are looking for a monster, I doubt anyone will provide that information!

Very few will tell you of a hot unit or hot spot, especially on a forum. Google is a powerful thing, and people posting up hot spots can turn them into heavily pressured spots or areas in a short time just by trying to do someone a favor and give them some info. Even PM's are dangerous, as you never know how close to the vest someone you don't know will keep the information you just gave them.

Look at the success rates for the units, then start the "couch scouting". Maps, G-earth, Google, etc. You can pick out some darn nice starting points before your boots ever hit the dirt. Look for places away from the roads where you can get up high, glass, and plan a stalk. Pick out a half dozen of those areas, glass in the morning, look for sign, walk down (or up) from where you're glassing and look for more sign. If that first spot is coming up empty, move on to the next one that night or the next morning. In short order you should have a few of your own honey holes.