CouesWhitetail

Who we are...why we hunt.....agree?

How thorough my answer is depends on the person asking. Anti-hunters, extreme liberals, those I rarely associate with, might not even get a response as some people are looking for a debate right out of the gate and I know they aren't smart enough to be talked sense into.

If a friend or acquaintance who doesn't hunt is genuinely interested, I would say I hunt for the way it makes me feel: the solitude nature provides with a serious and challenging task at hand, being outsmarted, frequently, the ability to harvest and process organic meat myself, leading to the fact I haven't purchased red meat at the store in years, the time spent and memories made with family, friends and my lab, the way 'life' can free from the mind in a matter of minutes once you hit the mountains or get up in that tree.

I then tell that person if they are interested in seeing what I mean, let me know and we can get you and earth formally introduced. I've never had an intelligent person not respect my response, or at least they didn't tell me so.

Very nice answer. I do agree that a percentage of the population is just trying to bait hunters into a conflict. True it's usually not worth a response but meat eaters Steven Rinella gave an excellent response to a clear anti hunter awhile ago. It was posted here a year or so ago. Can't find the link.

I will never set foot near the arctic circle. Neither will I get to spend 20-30 days afield in a year much less a single trip. However, I know what he means about the burning desire to hunt and I too think about it every day. Those three or four days that I do get to go are amazing and keep the smoldering embers just hot enough.