Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

You bowhunters getting antsy yet???

Seeing some nice deer dropped by the rifle guys sure makes it hard to wait for January! I can't be the only one who's already getting stir crazy & ready to get back out there.

• Like 2

I'm pacing in my office with my bow in hand. I'm either going to get thrown out of the building or I'm gonna wear a hole in the floor. Either way it's not getting me closer to January yet.... Is it January yet?

• Like 1

Fortunately my daughter has a youth deer hunt in a couple weeks then a youth javelina hunt two weeks later, so I'll be able to get out and kick some brush. But im dying to throw on the backpack and bivy out on MY ridge. Ive already got too many plans for my vacation time next year, so its not a january for me to be picky: first forky with eyegaurds or better is taking a ride in that backpack.

• Like 1

Pumped!!!!! Been looking at Google Earth like crazy! Headed put next weekend for some scouting.

• Like 1

Spent some time flipping through trail cam pics last night. Theres a decent 10 point and a couple nice little 8s floating around out on my ridge. Or was at least. Sure hope they made it through rifle season. I'll be out trying to put glass on them as soon as I finish my daughters youth hunt next weekend.

• Like 1

I took my camera down before rifle seasons started, but here's some pics of who was hanging around through the summer.

Here's some of the boys:

post-1431-0-64818800-1414817826_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-29430500-1414817904_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-02782300-1414817912_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-83491900-1414817933.jpg

This little girl is pretty special too me, I call her 'The Dog-eared Doe' for very obvious reasons. I've seen here several times in person & been fairly close to her. Not really close enough to take any good pics, but close enough to see it's her. I first spotted her out there in 2009 I think, maybe 2010. Anyhow, I'd see her and get her on trail cam every year for about 3 years, then I didn't see her for a couple years, but this year she turned back up. I've seen her with many fawns and yearlings trailing her. She appears to be a very good mommy. I guess she must be at least 6 years old, based on how long I've know about her.

post-1431-0-12004500-1414817947_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Those are some nice looking bucks!

Yeah they're pretty good for that area. I usually see some bigger stuff over in 27 but for the january hunt I tend to stick closer to home. Any one of these guys will make the wall. Especially that little ten pointer.

I've had some cats & a bear or two turn up on cam out there, although I've not seen them in person. My buddy I hunt those ridges with has glassed up 2 or 3 cats over the last couple years. I'd say she's got a trick or two to have lasted so long out there.

Thanks for sharing. She definitely looks healthy. :)

TJ

Alright, I'm chomping at the bit here. There is only so many times I can pack and repack my backcountry backpack. And I'm not even leaving to head down until January. God I love anticipation!