azhuntnut

Couldn't relocate the big buck.....soooo

I shot his little brother instead. I decided that on the last day of my hunt I was going to shoot the first buck I found. I wanted some nice filets, not tag soup this fall. I found this buck yesterday, but let him go since I had seen a 4x4 hanging with him in the past. I didn't glass up anything good yesterday and figured I could find this guy again this morning. I located him with 3 doe's right at daybreak, but they were still in a spot where I couldn't make a stalk.

I sat down for about ten minutes to wait for them to go over a small rise and made my move. I found them again about 600 yards out, but only had a few tree's between us. I started my stalk, but some how they could hear me walking in the tall grass. They got nervous and started to run towards the hills out of sight. I slowly moved toward the mountain until I got to a spot where I could see the face of the mountain and just waited. After about ten minutes I relocated them coming out of a cut at the bottom of the ridge.

The buck moved behind a juniper and I ranged it at 376 yards. I then mounted my rifle on my tripod using my LOC JAW and checked my bullet drop cheat sheet. After a while he slowly moved out behind the tree and stopped for a bite to eat. I took a deep breath and slowly squeezed the trigger. I watched through my scope as the bullet hit the buck. He dropped like he had been hit by a lightning bolt. If you look close in the pic you can see where I hit him with a high shoulder shot.

I was using my ar chambered in 243wssm that I loaded with 85 grain Barnes TSX bullets at around 3500 fps. The bullet did a complete pass through and left a 2 inch hole on the entrance and tore up the heart and caught the top of both lungs. The was my first time using this bullet and I'm very impressed. David

post-561-0-64470000-1415561439_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice, thats gonna be some good eating.I just turned my entire whitetail ( not the backstraps) into green chili and rolled about 70 burritos.Eat one every day and they are delicious! How do you like the LOC jaw?,considering getting one.

very nice! 243 wssm awesome

congrats David!

David- Congrats and good eatings...Glad to see the Loc-Jaw still holding steady...

Very nicely done on some good eats right there. Don't blame you for choosing that over tag soup!