MuggyMan

I screwed up

Tagged my first bull - a big bodied 6x4. Tough hunt and hope to have a full write up with pics in the next few days. I am thrilled with this bull, but in the moment decided he wasn't enough of a trophy for a full mount and decided to do a Euro mount and didn't cape him. Back in camp I got to thinking about it and thought I really am thrilled with this bull, and he has a lot of character and was sorry with my decision. I went back to where we'd quartered him to see if I could salvage the cape but the coyotes had already ripped it up. I heard sometimes taxidermists have capes people haven't used, but I would only want to do this if it looked like my bull. My question: is it possible to still get a full mount or should I just go ahead and do euro mount?

• Like 1

You can still get a shoulder mount. You can wait as long as you want. They do some really neat Euro mounts now these days also. Guess it depends if you wanna spend the money on shoulder mount right away or look into some of the Euro's. Just don't lose the tag.

A lot of taxidermists have capes from people that bring in an animal and then decide to do a euro mount. Call around.

You can still have a mount done, most taxidermist will have or can get a cape for you. If you took field photos of your bull, the taxidermist should be able to try and match the colors of your bulls cape and use the pictures while mounting to create any features that made your bull unique. Talk to a couple taxidermists and look at thier work to find one you like, let them help you make a decision.

• Like 2

There is a bull hunt starting Friday in 22. Maybe you could ask someone to save you their cape or they could contact you and you go up and skin it out.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies everyone. At this point, I am considering using Southwest Wildlife, Wildlife Heritage or Mark's Taxidermy (Miller's SW Processing). Does anyone know of any issues or better yet recommend any of these?

Thanks for the replies everyone. At this point, I am considering using Southwest Wildlife, Wildlife Heritage or Mark's Taxidermy (Miller's SW Processing). Does anyone know of any issues or better yet recommend any of these?

Wild Heritage just completed my Antelope and they did a fantastic job.

• Like 1

Muggy man yes any good taxidermist can get a cape for you quickly ans to match your bull if you have pictures. Another advantage to purchasing a cape is that it can be done much quicker. you don't have to wait on the tannery.

thanks for considering us.

Jim