Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

yotes calling question

Hey guys and gals, so me and edge were out this week on a great stand but we had dogs yipping far off and didnt seem to get them moving closer. We were pretty solid hand calling for 45 minutes and would get em barking but they stayed out, do you think we should have stopped, got quieter maybe, maybe more agresive? We were basically both running rabbit calls

Try switching to challenge call, I called in some big males that way when they not interested in distress and just yap back at you.

Rabbit call is the most popular call, they heard it before and may be educate to it, switch it up it may help.

I have been able to call in some coyotes using rabbit distress, but I hardly use that anymore. It's such a well used call that most likely they are educated to it. I usually use challenges to get them to come in. The biggest thing with coyotes is that they are all different. One call may bring one running in while the same call may send one running the other direction.

• Like 1

Do you think it hurts to switch calls some during a set? I was barking like a dog and squeeling and edge was doing rabbit puking or something

• Like 1

Do you think it hurts to switch calls some during a set? I was barking like a dog and squeeling and edge was doing rabbit puking or something

I think the smoked sausage you guys made would break the barrier. :)

I wouldn't do two different calls at the same time. However, I have switched calls during a set and brought one in. Started out with rabbit in distress and heard them far off but wouldn't come in. I switched to a challenge, and brought him within fifty yards. I could have gotten him if I had a rifle, but I had my bow and didn't have a clear enough shot. Just all depends on the coyote and the situation.

Ya we were trading off blowing those dam hand calls. Ya some sausage may have put them over the edge. Lol new spot next week maybe they will be dumber there. Ha ha I think Tims going to make me do a night set, not looking forward to that one.

I wouldn't do two different calls at the same time. However, I have switched calls during a set and brought one in. Started out with rabbit in distress and heard them far off but wouldn't come in. I switched to a challenge, and brought him within fifty yards. I could have gotten him if I had a rifle, but I had my bow and didn't have a clear enough shot. Just all depends on the coyote and the situation.

What he said. If they are yipping or barking not howling, I've been told you may have been seen. Or that they are letting others know something is not right. Not sure of that though

if it was just a bunch of yips.... like non stop, they may have seen you, heard something that wasn't right, or smelled you. if they started going off just from your rabbit distress this may be the case. if they had some howls going they may have been saying stay away this is our territory. calling too much can hurt your set. not a bad idea to sit in silence for a few minutes. sounds that trigger instincts is what you want to use. pups have been kicked out to fin for themselves, these younger coyotes shouldn't be educated yet. switching sounds can definitely help. give it a good 5 minutes of silence, then throw in some pup yips and whines. this sound will trigger female mother instincts to come see. as stated above a challenge howl can trigger instincts in a big ol male.

I almost always go to pup distress toward the end of my set.

go sneak back in there and use a totally different sound... like woodpecker distress. you can do this sound on a closed or open reed call that's high pitched like a mouse squeaker. as you blow from your diaphragm twirl the tip of your tongue like your trying to make a rattlesnake sound and give the exit end of the call some back pressure by cupping your hand over it and varying the pitch.

James

• Like 1