Sign in to follow this  
coues32

Ideas on conserving our game.

I would like to see the data that shows our wildlife numbers are down. Can some one please post those? I hear lots of people complain but haven't seen the proof.

• Like 4

What would doing away with extended deadlines do for game conservation???

Could impact the draw odds (very slightly IMO), but the same number of tags would still be issued.

S.

• Like 1

I would like to see the data that shows our wildlife numbers are down. Can some one please post those? I hear lots of people complain but haven't seen the proof.

G&F Would have to supply that info. Anybody have connections with G&F, to get the info

I apologize for this rant. There are some good things happening for Arizona's Elk and wildlife on many scales that most don't know about. Hopefully we can all find a way to work together to get great things to happen.

As usual with these great discussion topics some good ideas and others that want to change a system for the benefit of a few.

To bolster and conserve our wildlife you need to:

Meet with the AZGFD and find out what is the issues that are restricting the numbers of wildlife in the state.

Meet with USFS and find out what the formulas are for the percentage of forage, especially in the case of elk, allocated to wildlife.

Meet with the forage Research Study Group to find out what are the forage use conditions.

Formulate a plan that addresses increasing all of the above, or get involved in the plan that is already being worked on.

Find groups that are doing the work that needs to be done to create more habitat, increase lbs per acre of forage, get more water on the landscape, create more openings for wildlife in the forest, create more corridors for migrations, create more grasslands, remove invasive junipers, fund prescribed burns to get rid of unusable forage and duff and create nutritious food, restore and build water sources for wildlife in the drought and help to distribute wildlife for better forage use, work with ranchers to create pipelines that can be used for wildlife, restore fencing around the old water catchments that will keep cattle out to benefit wildlife, educate our youth about the benefits of hunting and get them involved in conservation, restore watershed to the landscape, restore the health of the Forest and much more.

These things are going on and some at a scale that the public has no clue about.

There are some small scale projects that could use some volunteer help and there are some large scale projects that are happening. I am here to tell you that people are trying to get things done. The missing key is sportsmen helping. On many of the large scale issues politics get in the way, a letter or phone call can help the cause. There are many ways anyone can GET INVOLVED and help.

The greatest need is for you THE HUNTERS to GET INVOLVED at some level!!!!

This is where the anti groups are killing us - they have a plan and members that are focused, get involved, volunteer and raise funds.

The plans are out there, some in motion and some that need help, some large and some small.

Join a group, help and volunteer for projects and get others to get involved. This doesn't mean you personally have to fund all these thing be see if there is a way to help find funding, volunteers. Bring your friends to banquets, bring your friends to volunteer projects, maybe educate the place you work to donate funding or things to a banquet to help raise funding.

We attend hundreds of meetings with many different groups and agencies that TALK about the issues. Just like these types of threads. The one thing that is usually missing is the BOOTS ON THE GROUND where it will make a difference.

Join and support a group that is doing the work, help raise funds, educate your friends about the group and the work, get on a committee, help teach kids, become a leader, help at whatever level you can but GET INVOLVED!!

*****This was by no means a personal attack on only one person. There are many good people that are involved we just need more. There are many reasons during our lives that make it difficult to get involved, work, family, funding, health and many others. Everyone knows them. But in the end if you can find a way to help and we all work towards the common goals we can create more and better wildlife habitat, we can restore and add more water to the landscape. we can educate more youth to the wonders of the outdoors, in a perfect world we can move mountains.

In the case of Elk, we can create elk but we can't create the habitat needed to support them. We must focus on restoring habitat on small and large scale.

Steve Clark

Arizona Elk Society

Join us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/

• Like 10

I would like to add one change to my previous post. I have heard from a bunch of people in the past that they love what groups like the Arizona Elk Society are doing but just don't want to have a membership. They are willing to show up at youth camps, volunteer habitat projects and other events to give back and help out but don't want to join because of one reason or another.

I feel that there is nothing wrong with that.

So to that point I would like to change one thing I harped on in the last post and in some cases if you aren't a joiner, as in membership, then become a SUPPORTER. The people that come out and support are just as important as the ones that join. In each case you are doing something for the kids, habitat and heritage we enjoy.

So GET INVOLVED, SUPPORT and/or JOIN.

Thanks.

Check out the AES Year in Review 2014.

• Like 3

Would you please send me a pm on good ideas that need to be addressed, to return our numbers where they used to be.

Please no pissing matches here!

Lower tags

Better bonus point system.

Harvest report mandatory.

Antler Point restrictions on bulls and bucks.

Thanks

More info please...Who are you and why would I send my recommendations to you? And what do you mean by "numbers where they used to be" What period in time are we talking about?

Arizona population and hunting applications continue to rise annually. Predator populations have exploded since the trapping/poisoning bans and wolf reintroductions. Both trends are on a collision course to catastrophe......which will lead to more disappointment to both hunters and wildlife viewers. Most outdoor enthusiasts and clubs understand this concern. The question is who will prevail....... and will our grand kids have the same privileges that we all enjoyed. Take Steve Clark's advice and join an outdoor conservation group......... and let your voices be heard!!! The current trend is not your friend!!!

Well after seeing the unit 9 elk permits. I wonder who in the commision or friends of the commision have alot of bonus points and needed to be in the muzzleloader hunt before the archery hunters so they can have first chance at the bull they want to kill. This change was so random that I cant believe that there had to be some backroom reason to do this just for unit 9.