Sign in to follow this  
GameHauler

Unit 22 Elk

Just wondering who I might run into out there.

I have the Nov 30th rifle Bull tag.

My daughter has the Sep 28th rifle Bull tag.

Mike

post-1778-1174753608_thumb.jpg

My neighbor has had that hunt twice and had the most action setting up near ponds. David

Thanks David

I have had, or been on elk hunts in 22 for at least the past 12 years.

You are right about water if we do not get much rain prior to the hunts

Mike

Unit 22 in Dec. is going to be a Circus!!!! :blink: 620 hunters in 2 weeks!! :angry: The AZG & F is a bunch of Frickin' Morons!!! :angry: They have taken tag allotment out of the hands of the unit WM's and focussed totally on "opportunity"...... :angry:

Hope you all have good hunts.... :) ...but I fear that if you don't shoot a bull at day light opening morning (Nov.30th), it is going to get real tough real fast! The first 300 hunters are going to run every elk out of the country and the second hunt will be a rag horn hunt! :( <_< I am not down talking the hunt.... just the AZGF Board... :angry: They are screwing us all with the whole "opportunity" concept!!

Thanks for letting me vent! <_<

I could not agree more Gino

Thats part of the reason I started this thread.

If we, the members can communicate a bit we can help from steping on each others toes

with only half the # of permits last year It was crazy on my daughters hunt Dec 1 :blink:

She had 2 bulls shoot out from under her :angry: :angry:

Mike

I also totally agree with what you are saying about G&F and the rediculous amount of tags in these units. Sure seems like a great way to make a bunch of $$$$$$.

While I was helping a friend on the first Dec hunt last year I was seriously affraid of getting shot. We were set up 350 yards from a bull waiting for light and Some guy above us 1000 yards away empties his gun twice. Straight over our heads. I found a really nice shed in the bottom after that and left it where it lay for fear of being mistaken. We moved out of the country and ended up killing a nice 6X6 but opening morning was flat out dangerous. I can't imagine it with more hunters.

Units 22 and 23 have always had high bull to cow ratios. G&F has abviously had enough of this and is applying their "proven" mule deer management strategies to the elk in 22. Remember the good ol' days when the early 22 rifle hunt was limited to 4 points or better?

my oldest son got the earlier of the 2 late hunts. it will probably be a good hunt. the later one will be a fiasco. elk will really be wild. like i've said for years, the azgfd has turned our elk herd into livestock. it's where they make the bulk of their money. they've destroyed the deer herd all over the state by letting the elk take over, even in land that never had elk and all the way down into the desert. there are ways to take care of the problem, but when they get 4X a deer tag for every elk tag, plus a lot of nonresident interest, they go where the money is. u22 has become a haven for uso. they had a huge camp there last year. it will be bigger this year. the more tags they let out, the more nonresidents get their "guaranteed" 10%. taulman probably gets more tags now than he ever did. it's a rotten deal. last year there were 350 permits in u22 north on the 2 late hunts. this year there are 620. musta been a helluva calf crop. that or the azgfd isn't paying any attention to harvest reports or winter game counts. gee, i wonder what it was? this is a prime example of what i've been harpin' on for years. look at it close and do some serious pondering. we gotta have a new director and some decent commissioners. all the toadys and lackeys need to go too. Lark.

Hope I get a chance to run into you Lark

I have a feeling you just might be more entertaining in person :D

Mike

You probably will run into Lark and a whole lotta other people too. :o

Wow thats a bunch of tags but I am sure you will have your bull patterned or tied

up to a tree :o by opening day.

It is allready tied up

This bull is going to cost me a fortune

This year I have to feed and water him for 8 months :angry:

Not sure I like this early draw :lol: :P

Mike

You guys are taking all the fun out of it. Scout your butt off and brag later about how you shot one in spite of all the hunters and start looking forward to having a tag. I would kill to have your problem. Good luck and don't wear any antler hats.

i wish it was my tag too, but you can't convince me that there was any science involved in increasing the permits. Lark.