Sign in to follow this  
GameHauler

Unit 22 Elk

You guys get 22 north or 22 south? Curious as to in anyone'll be heading into the Mazatzaal for a back country hunt.

All you guys are startin' to scare the crap outta me. I drew the second hunt for 22 and I'm gettin' alittle nervous. :o

I've said this before,Too dang many elk!!

Give everbody a tag, then we might get our deer herds back in shape.

Back in the 80s we had good muley hunting in 22N Then a few late seoson bulls started to show up. In 88' I drew one of only 5 tags. Dec. hunts then, no early, no archery, no people. Great hunt killed a 340" bull. Fast forward....

Tons of Elk. Tons of complaining people, on tons of Quards. Very few deer.

You elk hunters crack me up. You complain cause you can't get drawn. So they raise more elk & give more tags,So you'll be happy. Now there's to many people, & not enough 400" bulls. Like I said ,give everybody a tag, make the seoson long.& help the deer herds. After all this is a DEER hunting site. Anybody else agree???

DH

Im with couesnut. I think there should be a demising line across the state and any of those big, yellow, stinky, non-native bastards caught on the wrong side of the line could be shot on sight.

Im with couesnut. I think there should be a demising line across the state and any of those big, yellow, stinky, non-native bastards caught on the wrong side of the line could be shot on sight.

You guys are frickin' Whacko's.... :blink: .... Have you ever heard of survival of the fittest.... or natural selection..... Where the elk go and how they flourish is not within our control..... This was inevitable since they re-introduced elk here..... We can only manage them with reason and carrying capacity in mind.... The over growth of brush in our forest is just as much to blame for the demise of the Mule Deer as the elk are..... but there is no turning the clock back.... Mule Deer do best on grass.... Elk and Coues do just as well or better in the brush. I agree that many of the management techniques are very poor, but there is far more at work here than just herd management.... The forest management of today is just as much to blame as th AZGF..... Keep in mind the Coues Deer has benifited greatly in the units of central AZ due to the same factors that have hurt the Mule Deer. Just a bit more complicated than drawing a line..... ;) .....IMO.

:)

C n' S,

So with that thinking, you're ok with the Goats, Sheep, & Burros, That destroy our Desert sheep & their habitat." Natural selection"... Please.. This is 2007 & we humans make the selection.

20 years from now there will be complaints about not being able to get drawn for Kaibab elk.

DH

C n' S,

So with that thinking, you're ok with the Goats, Sheep, & Burros, That destroy our Desert sheep & their habitat." Natural selection"... Please.. This is 2007 & we humans make the selection.

20 years from now there will be complaints about not being able to get drawn for Kaibab elk.

DH

Elk are not a domestic, non-game animal.... :rolleyes:..... They are a native species that has done so well after reintroduction that they have evolved into the dominant game animal..... uh....and the elk on the Kiabab came from Utah on their own..... :unsure: ... and I don't aprove..... but Mother nature makes the rules not us...... even in 2007. :rolleyes: ......

And Please.... don't compare this to the Desert sheep issue...... That is a Completely different lack of management all together..... Lions, domesticated and wild livestock, and poor herd management could all be fixed if AZGF could pull their heads out of thier rear and also quit listening to the environmentalists......Which happens to also be the USFS's problem as well.... <_<

you can control the heck outta anything with a rifle. elk numbers are high because the azgfd gets more for an elk tag than they do a deer tag. elk are now livestock. pure and simple. they go where they are allowed and take over if they are left to it. to say we can't control them or that it is survival of the fittest is not a realistic statement. everything wild can be, and is to some extent, controlled. the yellowstne elk was introduced here, not re-introduced. what we had before was merriam's. i like to hunt elk. really look forward to it. never turn down a chance to hunt em. in fact, i'm a helluva elk hunter. mainly because i'm a good deer hunter and elk are a lot easier to hunt. but they are on the verge of being out of control in a lot of areas. they should be severely eliminated or restricted in non-traditional elk areas. as far as the increase in the u22 north tags tho, the herd didnt' all the sudden increase 2x overnight. there are a good number of elk there and the azgfd sees an opportunity to make some bucks. but it is a really small unit and both hunts will be really tough to get away from people on. the second hunt will really tough. after gettin' blasted to heck the first hunt, what bulls are left will be wild for sure and really hard to find. i'm glad my kid got the first hunt. Lark.