Heat

Texas Hog Hunt - Who Wants to Go?

check out L&Wranches.com 150.00 per day no limit on hogs, they are west of childress tx.

My buddy in Texas ended up being all talk when I actually hit him up on hunting so no info there.

Wanted to bring this back up to keep the interest.

Here's some more options for discussion which might help us narrow down a place...some of these places are pretty bare bones and don't provide any food or lodging while others have the whole nine yards and there are some have something in the middle with either lodging or meals. I guess another thing to think about is how long would we want to stay?

Keep seeing good things about Hunter's Creek Ranch, 4 Pines Ranch, Ridgeback Creek. Just saw one for Keechi Creek Ranch which looks good. Arrowhead Outfitters looks good but kinda pricey maybe compared to some others. Also have heard some pretty good stuff about Dos Plumas which is probably one of the closer outfits that has some decent reviews and will allow bow or gun. Langley Ranch is another to consider. All lot of the recommendations have been coming from archery related sites so many of them are archery only so filtering through them to find ones that will allow rifles is a little tougher.

Having set up numerous Texas hog hunts for myself and buddies, I will tell you that you will NOT make everyone happy. Easiest way to do it is gather best dates consensus, determine archery only or guns, and approximate spending limit. Narrow it down a ranch with available dates and then see who is really in... I know these are CWT members, but people will say they are in and have demands, and it will drag your process out further than it needs to drag. Another thing is get deposits from those going. It is inevitable that a guy will crap out last minute.

• Like 1

Deposits are a good idea! Once a plan is set and folks have to cough up 1-200 bucks the ball game changes. I'm still in (probably lol) if its mid April. Turkey in may and family reunion in march. Just depends on the dates.

• Like 1

I have a few questions , is everyone planning weekend trip?

Who is leaning towards camping on our own vs cabin with meals?

Also what about cabin and our own food?

I would tend to lean toward cabin with our own food and going during the week but I am open none the less.

Last thing is what trailer options do those interested have? Its of of meat and gear in a carpool so trailer would be essential.

One last thing if anyone is calling ranches make sure we clarify added cost, I hear a lot of times they wait til you ask or are there to mention hidden meat, trophy, processing, or storage fees.

• Like 1

I'm ok sleeping where ever as long as meat comes home. I have a few good icechests as well. I brought a bison home almost 20 hours with ice bags and its hide alone so no worries. I pack light on gear, can go a week and still have room in my truck bed. A hog hunt is a fast,, memorible, trip to the grocery store for pork. That's it. Have fun, get done, come home. Accomaditions aren't great and its a long trip but the goal is meat and a new adventure!

From my experience, calling is one thing, make sure to email. This puts everything in writing, and leaves a paper trail. Hog hunts are big business, and they will say anything to get you there. I had an outfitter try to not include processing, even though it was clearly listed on the hunt we purchased.

• Like 2

Good advise. I am fine butchering but some hunts still try to get per pound from what I read on the sites. Some help a little, some store, some have nothing. Post up your preferences so we can get on the same page or chapter anyway.

I'm really flexible on most of this to be honest. My biggest priority is finding a place that is not going to let us down and one that we will all get into the hogs for sure barring some unusual circumstances. Anything beyond that I can probably work with unless someone wants to go to a really fancy place and have the gourmet option or something. I'd rather camp and cook like I normally do.

What do you guys think about an archery only ranch? Check out brushyhillranch.com just west of San antonio 80 bucks a day with lodging. I have an email into them.

• Like 1

I'm perfectly OK with using my bow as long as it's a target rich environment! Probably going to have less interest if we do archery only. An archery only place would probably change my tolerance for the kind of place we go to as well. I would be more willing to do a smaller, high fence kind of place if we go that route. Again, I really don't have a lot of pre-conceived notions on what is going to go down.

HuntHarder, could you give us your recommendation for places to check out? Maybe places to avoid?

I'm new at setting up trips like this so I have no issue with someone else taking the bull by the horns and running with this. I've been the Charter Master on a few deep sea fishing trips but the hunting thing is brand new. Never hunted hogs or set up a trip like this. I just wanted to see if there were enough guys from here that would be interested in a trip to kill some hogs. Seems like there is more than enough so whatever the next step is, by all means let's take it.

I can say brushy is off list maybe, I really hate it when they don't answer email. Bad buisiness. Oh well their loss. I will try a few more emails to some others. I would rather go rifle myself but am open as well. I am going to call the Texas game office as well and see if anyone there has some reputable ranches. I also heard Texas Craigslist has an add or adds from ranches that are free but your on your own, some even will pay you. I hate Craigslist though.

I can say brushy is off list maybe, I really hate it when they don't answer email. Bad buisiness. Oh well their loss. I will try a few more emails to some others. I would rather go rifle myself but am open as well. I am going to call the Texas game office as well and see if anyone there has some reputable ranches. I also heard Texas Craigslist has an add or adds from ranches that are free but your on your own, some even will pay you. I hate Craigslist though.

I hunted Brushy Hill 15 years ago... I was left at the stand twice and had to walk back both times about 8 miles.. I would avoid these guys.

• Like 1