Unfortunately, that's public land hunting. As others have mentioned it's still first come first served. If you get there first and he decides to sit right next to you anyway it'll be uncomfortable, but not unheard of. These days it seems one of the biggest challenges in hunting is finding a good spot isn't really obvious with the hopes that someone else won't also find it - but that is tough to do.

On the other hand, there are people who stake out 5, 10, even dozens of spots with trail cams and stands but they can only be in one of those at any given time. Just putting your gear up in an area doesn't give you any special rights to that spot. Maybe he's banking on the chance that you'll be sitting somewhere else the day he decides to hunt there - and maybe he'll be ethical enough, if he does come in and find you sitting there first to back out quietly.

Best of luck on your hunt.

• Like 2

DCMhunter, you have more ethics than others. He should have went and found another spot. But, public land, so be first. Atleast, he didn't steal your camera. Another member of this site had his camera stolen back in August. Good luck!

OK so just this Xmas eve and day I found a waterhole and hunted it both days along with glassing it and the surrounding area for hours. No luck but before leaving I went close to look for sign and found of course a camera. No one around for miles and miles so am I unethical?

OK so just this Xmas eve and day I found a waterhole and hunted it both days along with glassing it and the surrounding area for hours. No luck but before leaving I went close to look for sign and found of course a camera. No one around for miles and miles so am I unethical?

welcome to the future. your posts in this topic make you sound like a man from the 1800's that has hopped in a Delorean and ended up in 2014. maybe we should all just use our ol' trusty flintlocks and stickbows and hunt buffalo on horseback. it's the way things are anymore. i run cameras every year, lots of them and will continue to do so, all the while filling my tags with mature animals. the topic that is being discussed is a slippery slope. the man was not looking to be bashed for using cameras, just looking for advice on what to use. water holes are up for grabs, first come first serve. if i found a camera and a salt lick, i would never encroach on that area. wear out a pair of boots, get off the trail, put in the footwork and find another dang spot. if a man has a stand and camera set up that is NOT on a highly accessible water hole, stay out of there. like has been suggested, maybe leave a note and make an arrangement on who can hunt when

No, not unethical in my opinion, you didn't know the camera was there. I think it becomes unethical to know someone else is already in small isolated area and you still hunt it. The orginal post was about someone hanging a trail cam and blind blocking his camera. Someone beat you there, go find another spot or come back later and see if it is available.

I think a few wannabes piggyback off of us that know how to hunt.

It is public land, we have to share and have respect for each other.

I personally, couldn't look at myself in the mirror and be happy with what I see looking back if I hung a stand 10 ft away from someone else who beat me there. Just saying, I have my integrity and respect for others!

• Like 2

Can't even answer the question because I am perfectly ethical. Your comments have nothing to do with my statement you quoted. Greyghost

I'll tell you even if I knew the camera was there I would have hunted the same. I certainly would not hinder the spot and set up a blind or camera but its a free country and I have every right to hunt there, sorry but I got out of bed and spent the night on the mountain and whom ever had this cam in there should have done the same and I would have passed on by. I do see some plus in leaving a business card though, but if some doesn't call back or tries to say its his spot for the season same deal he or she better be there or I just might be. As for finding my own spot and putting boots to the ground well I challenge anyone making that statement to try and do more of that than I do. Doubt many could keep up

You hit the nail on the head. You said you would not put up a camera, hang a stand or hinder the area. Hunting the general area is fine. Your good! :)

• Like 1

New years resolution=if I see a camera hung in a wilderness area its coming with me and going into the trash. I wish they were illegal.What gives people the right to litter every water hole in az with these stupid things?

• Like 1

New years resolution=if I see a camera hung in a wilderness area its coming with me and going into the trash. I wish they were illegal.What gives people the right to litter every water hole in az with these stupid things?

So your saying your resolution is to be a thief?

• Like 6

D Bag comment.... Hope they're not one of mine, FN Thief...

I avoid people that were there first, not their cameras... First come, firt serve..... Period.

Legal....... Yep...... Unethical........ Probably depending on who you talk to. This is the "me first" generation. If its legal do it. There is very little consideration for others out in the woods anymore. If or when they eliminate the use of cams on public land will certainly go a long way to ending these types of issues. Not to mention the resource will get a bit of a break, lots of these big critters wouldnt be dead if it wasn't for cams. Jmo

• Like 2