Sign in to follow this  
cessna

Backpack knife sharpener

Anyone use a small knife sharpener in your daypack? There are several on the market, don't know which one to try.

I carry a small steel, but sometimes a sharpener would help.

I used to but switched to a Havalon knife that was given to me as a gift.

• Like 1

I use one that is made by Smith. Bought it a Lowe's in the hand tool section. It is a diamond sharpener with a coarse and fine side. I recommended it to a friend who was able to by one there early November.

Works well and not to heavy.

Brent

• Like 1

Ive always carried this lansky. Its light weight and puts an edge on quick. This year I left it behind and used a havalon. Changed blades twice on an elk. Havalon with a couple blades is lighter in the pack but dosent seem as reliable as a small fixed blade and the sharpener.post-9456-0-71090100-1420077928_thumb.jpg

I will help you out. Buy a havalon with 10 replacement blades for a backpacking trip (weighs less than any decent fixed blade knife.) Buy a worksharp sharpener for any knives that have sentimental value that you would like to be sharp at home. I bought the worksharp and brought it up to my parents for Christmas. After I sharpened all of their knives my mom cut her finger on one after picking it up from the sink to a wash it.

• Like 1

I carry a small sharpening stick in my pack. I use a havalon in combination with a traditional drop point knife which I prefer for skinning. As others have stated the havalons are great knives and not trying to say there's anything wrong with them, but I just prefer a drop point knife for skinning. Anyways this one collapses to about the size of a pen and works great for touching up an edge if needed. I can't remember the maker of this one, but remember picking it up at big 5 a few years ago for like 15 bucks. It's worked well and it doesn't take up much room in the pack.

post-5555-0-48054500-1420086088_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I use a ceramic stick 3/8" X 8". Great for touching up an edge. Havalon type blades tend to dull quickly IMO. I can get them "as new" with a few strokes on the ceramic.

I will help you out. Buy a havalon with 10 replacement blades for a backpacking trip (weighs less than any decent fixed blade knife.) Buy a worksharp sharpener for any knives that have sentimental value that you would like to be sharp at home. I bought the worksharp and brought it up to my parents for Christmas. After I sharpened all of their knives my mom cut her finger on one after picking it up from the sink to a wash it.

X2 on switching to Havalon and extra blades

PRDATR, after reading your response I looked at DMT's web page. Good looking product. Which one do you keep in your pack?

Cessna, the one I have is s single sided red one. It weighs about as much as a Highlighter and is about the same size. I usually carry a skinning knife and a drop point KABAR.

I had a Havalon but didn't care for it and donated it to another hunting website to give to a youth hunter or just raffle it off.

PRDATR, I always carry a skinning knife with me. I had a business associate give me a Havalon for my BD. I'd rather use the skinning knife. I've used the Havalon for caping a few times, but usually just use my skinner. I'll look deeper into the DMT products. Thanks for the information.

I had a havalon blade break off while boning out a whitetail. If you haven't used one, they are deadly sharp. I was pretty nervous until I found the broken blade. I also use mine only for caping. I found I liked a knife to bone out a animal. I didn't like having to worry about breaking a blade or even changing the blade. Rather carry the weigh of a knife and a sharpener.

Brent

While I love havalons and carry one with me on all hunts, I still don't think they are a replacement to good fixed blade and folding knives. The bigger the game the more knives I carry. Buck 119 is one of my favorites and I have quartered, boned and processed into steaks many elk with the same knife, but it does need a touch up from time to time.

The best one I've found is the one AZ41Mag has in his post. I have a couple that are blue, but the same sharpener. Reversible diamond hone, takes up virtually no space and doesn't shave your blade like those carbide ones - with a little practice you can keep your knife razor sharp through an entire elk - or even a couple back-to-back. It even has a fish hook groove for honing your hooks.

http://www.amazon.com/Knife-Sharpener-BlizeTec-3--Secateurs/dp/B00KRN00UK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1420245109&sr=8-5&keywords=blue+diamond+hone