Sign in to follow this  
HEADACHE

Coues Question

I recently stumbled upon a nice hillside where I encountered almost a dozen whitetails.

There were three bucks that looked to be around 14 inches wide. Really nice to my eyes.

My question is:

Will these bucks be here in the fall?

Do they move their location very often, or far between here and then?

I don't imagine much or any pressure from humans at all.

Assuming they dont get bumped around or spooked much will they tend to be in the same area?

from my experience....whitetails have a small home range...a couple square miles or so. They are a couple of areas that I see the same deer on one hill side every time I go. those bucks will be somewhere within the area....just look for the country that bucks like to live in...i.e thick, steep. hope it helped a little

Whitetails are much more territorial than mule deer. They should be close by I would think, if there is ample food and water available.

Now, where did you say that hillside was??? :lol: :lol:

They should be in the same general area, but not necessarily the same hill. Good luck.

Now, where did you say that hillside was??? :lol: :lol:

They should be in the same general area, but not necessarily the same hill. Good luck.

I beleive It is located around the 9000 Block of west Juniper :P ;)

I can give everyone the GPS location :D

Whitetails are much more territorial than mule deer. They should be close by I would think, if there is ample food and water available.

dito to that, although they'll start moving out and around next November.

Mark

sweet, thats good info, there is plenty of water and food there. . . . ummmm maybe I need a trail camera and some salt.

I'll tell you what, after I arrow my first coues up there, I'll post the GPS coordinates here on the site and you can go shoot his brother. Deal? :P

Coues do have small home ranges. I have seen several of the same bucks walk and bed down within 100 yards of the same place multiple times. In fact the deer I go this year I watched him bed under a mesquite in October and then again watched him bed under the exact same tree in November and that is when he met his maker. Just keep tabs on that area and try to locate deer in there on a regular basis and study where they water, where they eat and where they bed. You should do good this year.

I would not tell a sole about the spot. Areas are getting harder to keep good. And now with the coues deer craze going it is even worse.

We all may start hunting Carp before to long just to be able to hunt again. :blink: :unsure: :blink: :o

I would not tell a sole about the spot. Areas are getting harder to keep good. And now with the coues deer craze going it is even worse.

We all may start hunting Carp before to long just to be able to hunt again. :blink: :unsure: :blink: :o

I can't go back its to late for me. You can take my coues away from me when you take it from my cold dead hands ;)

The only thing that will cause them to leave that area between now and Oct. is drought or humans. As long as their water source is as good as you say it is then they will be there. Keep an eye on them but don't put a lot of pressure on them. After opening morning of the Oct. rifle hunt all bets are off.

The only thing that will cause them to leave that area between now and Oct. is drought or humans. As long as their water source is as good as you say it is then they will be there. Keep an eye on them but don't put a lot of pressure on them. After opening morning of the Oct. rifle hunt all bets are off.

I wouldn't tell a soul either. Just when you think hey, so and so won't say anything, bam, in the next couple years, people are crawling all over the place. It's a pretty big temptation, especially just to be able to say that "YOU" found the spot, but man, it's just not worth it. Soon enough, some idiot will stumble onto the spot, will have no sense and start running their mouth as to where it is. Just enjoy it while you can and IMO, I'd keep quiet and careful with photos you post or show anyone, especially if there is a background of skyline or hills that are identifiable.

I wouldn't tell a soul either. Just when you think hey, so and so won't say anything, bam, in the next couple years, people are crawling all over the place. It's a pretty big temptation, especially just to be able to say that "YOU" found the spot, but man, it's just not worth it. Soon enough, some idiot will stumble onto the spot, will have no sense and start running their mouth as to where it is. Just enjoy it while you can and IMO, I'd keep quiet and careful with photos you post or show anyone, especially if there is a background of skyline or hills that are identifiable.

Good advise. I've lived through this nightmare and let me tell you it aint no fun. What I went through was more like a Twilight Zone episode.