Sign in to follow this  
BuckNasty

coyote vs gray wolf

I was reading the other thread and had the idea to ask. Anyone have a picture of a gray wolf? I was out hunting coyotes one day and I caught a real quick glimpse of a coyote :blink: . As I unsuccessfully gave chase, and never saw him again, I thought he looked awfully big for a coyote. I started to think perhaps I saw a gray wolf. Probably not very likely, but the head starts to wonder when out running around...

Anyone seen one? Have any pics?

I've seen a couple. One was between Heber and Show Low around my parents place. I went to get a camera and of course it wasn't there anymore. It was a femal wearing a radio collar, I called G & F , they said that she had wondered from the blue pack in 27. I think I would have more trouble identifying her from a husky or other domestic dog, than a coyote.

Two three years ago I saw a pair twice --- three days apart --- above my cabin near White Mountain Reservoir, and three more as my wife and I were approaching McNary. There could have been more in the brush. I think I read somewhere that USFWS had decided to eliminate or move this pack because of tribal complaints. They look nothing at like a coyote.

I also shot a big gray wolf (it actually was black) in the Yukon on a moose hunt in about 1993. It was so big it was all my guide and I could do to get the thing up on the Morgan horse I was riding. I never got the hide. It got lost in shipping between Whitehorse and Tucson.

Bill Quimby

I spotted my first pack in 27 this last November. They ran by at about 60 yards or so, I tried to call 'em back & they sat there howling at me for a few minutes & then took off. Didn't see any bears that weekend, but didn't consider that a bad consolation prize.

I think it would be easier to confuse Lark with a wolf than a coyote. :P