coues addict

Guessing Range and wind drift

Hey everybody

I just wanted to get everyones opinion about a couple of things. I never used a range finder untill last season. I was given one for Xmas year before last. I must tell you that with bullets going over 3000 fps and all I always thought it was cheatin! Well I used mine last year and it was really neat knowing the exact yardage before I shot. I really don`t think it changed the outcome at all , but it was neat knowing anyway. I am now using the thing all the time, many times on coyotes after the shot , just to see how close I guess. Its really kinda cool to use it after your shot just to challenge yourself and to learn to judge the distances. I got a yote the other day a 465yds with my .22-250 and I was stoked. I guessed 450yds and I did hit him low but, it was really cool. I still think wind drift is the toughest to accurately judge, and I do my best , but what do you guys think? Do you guys think I am a cheatin S O B for using a rangefinder or what? I would like to hear your ideas and opinions. Coues Addict

I got one but haven't used it yet. I will have it with me this year. It is just another technological tool just like your rifle, bow, binos, and all the other goodies in your backpack. The only time I would consider using it would be for distances I know that are 300 yards away. Anything closer, I should be able to whack it without it. I have a bushnell 800 compact which is the same as the nikon compact 800. A friend of mine had the same thing but traded them in for the Leicas when he had a hard time getting a signal back on the longer distances. He says the Leicas do a better job at picking up things and the longer ranges.

I have used a rangefinder for the last 3 or 4 years, I have ranged my last two rifle coues. Mine gets most of it's use during archery hunts. I personally don't think it is in any way cheating, I look at it is as being a tool I use to accurately determine whether or not an animal is within my comfort zone of being able to make a clean humane kill.

I use mine all the time as it helps me verify (or not) my own estimate. I also use a ballistics table I print for the particular load I use so I can better estimate any holdover.

Reading the wind is a whole nuther story. There is series of good bookletts on reading wind trigger control, sight picture and reading mirage patterns by M/Sgt James Owens (USMC ret.). These are geared for the competition shooter but what better training?

Interesting topic......

I have been toiling with whether it is cheating or not. But since a friend handed me one just before I took a shot on a muley, and clarified I guessed 425 yds and it was 483, I figure now it is more ethical to assist with a clean kill, HOWEVER, you still need to practice a bunch before making a long shot. (yeah..he dropped on the first shot)

With Coues being so small, a 300+ yard shot needs to be dead-on, not much room for error.

Will be buying one this season!

Mark

Cheating: Not at all. I need all the help I can get! No seriously, I beleve that it is part of being a responceable hunter.

My range estimation sucks, that and archery were the resons why I finally got one and I don't reget it one bit. I now believe that only about 5% of the people who say they have good range estimation really do. Play with your new range finder the next time you go out and you will see what I mean.

;)

Coues Addict-

The age old question on the ethics of technology. I personally feel that if there is a product like a range-finder thats given purpose is to assist you in harvesting an animal in a humane, quick manner, then it is ethical. I have used a range-finder for several years and I can tell you that it is helped me become a better judge of distance. I play a game- guess the distance then check my guess against the rangefinders numbers. I am getting better and like the coues I shot last year @362 yards, I was able to make a clean,swift kill. I am also quite comfortable shooting the .270 out to that range. Weapom proficiency is even more important. If you can't shoot the thing, no amount of range-judging is going to help. Just a note. If I could have gotten any closer to last years coues, I would surely have tried, not a stick of hidable vegetation or boulders between him and me. Ranged him, had time for a good, solid rest, knew what the rifle drop was at that distance and let her fly. He did not move a foot from where he was standing. Good luck and keep practicing.

Trufletch

Range finders are not cheating in my book. Actually I think anyone who isnt using one nowadays is only hurting the animal and their own chances of success. I guess if you think about humane kills and the difficulty of hitting a target over 300 yards that is as small as a coues, you should want a range finder......Allen.....

That was a good range estimate of 450 from 465 yards. I would hate to look across a canyon and guess 100 yards long, and miss or wound a coues. Those cross canyon distances are deceiving to me. Yes, I cheat repeatedly with no guilty conscience ;) . While I can range fairly well at archery distances after years of practice, my eyeballs are not calibrated for those multi-football field distances.

Doug/RedRabbit

i usually shoot once and see where the dust blows up and compensate. i've tried range finders, but they take too much time. what i try to do is sneak close enough that i don't really need to guess the range. i just a use .270 and i'm pretty confident on anything inside of 400 yds. and i'll shoot farther too, just depends on the situation. there's nothing wrong with a range finder, but it's just something that doesn't do much for me. too used to kentucky windage and hope-I shots.

Rangefinders are the way to go. I do however try to use it in the field BEFORE I really need it. That is to say, while scouting, or hiking, take the Rangefinder along, and pick out spots that you guess the range. Then verify the real range with the "cheater". Just like shooting, the more you practice, the better you will get with ranging your targets. Lots of practice this year since I didn't get drawn, but hey, give some others a chance! ;)

Edited by az4life