CouesWhitetail

pinal mtn pickup

Hi All,

Found a pile of deer bones (or I should say, my husband saw it and pointed it out to me) and started searching for the head. Found this one. I would guess it was archery wounding loss rather than mtn lion kill due to the location and position of the bone pile, but it's old enough that I don't know if I could tell for sure. Anybody here arrow a buck like this in the Pinals and not find it? If so and you can tell me where you last saw it, you are welcome to the rack. It's not a very large buck, but it's nice just the same.

Amanda

post-1-1175359263.jpg

Nice! No greater treasure in my eyes than finding coues sheds or pick-up heads. :)

I notice the nose is eatin off that thing. That makes me wonder if yotes or a cat did kill him but who knows.

Nice find Amanda.

Yes, I saw that too, but I am guess it's post mortem....but who knows. Several of the bones were scattered, so I think some predators got to it, but I just have a a feeling it was after it died. I have a sheep skull that has it's nose chewed off exactly the same way and it's from my dog doing it after I cleaned it......

Amanda

Just an FYI - I am legally allowed to pick up this skull since I have a scientific collection permit which allows me to salvage all kinds of wildlife parts for educational purposes and I also notified the local Game Warden about it.

Amanda

WOW.. that is nice... Is it hard to get those permits? When we were kids our neighbor was a vet and he had some cool raptors...

jason

It's not hard to get a permit for a use AGFD deems appropriate. I do many educational presentations a year for adults and kids with lots of skins, skulls, scat, bones, etc that I have collected. I don't know how hard it would be for an average guy to get a permit. Probably easier for me since I am wildlife biologist. They require strict reporting on all your activities and a proposal for what you intend to do. Call AGFD and ask them for details if you are interested.

Amanda

Great find Amanda! If it were not for the long eyeguards it would have me fooled as being a muley with width like that!!! Awesome!!

Neat find for sure... and in your own "backyard" sort of.

I always like to speculate on what if's and an investigation like this can be as good as any CSI show on TV.