Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

Pronghorn Questions From A Hopeful Goat Hunter

So Flatlander thinks I have a legitimate chance at drawing an antelope tag this year with 23 bonus points, so I have already started my scouting this year. But I have some questions for those who have hunted them before. The only time I have ever hunted antelope is with a buddy in Wyoming. He bought a new truck in Montana, and the Ford dealership was giving away a 2 day antelope hunt in Wyoming as incentive, so we flew up, picked up the truck and drove back, stopping in Wyoming to archery hunt goats. My buddy got two, and I got one, but it was like rabbit hunting out there. They are just everywhere.

I have never been drawn in AZ for antelope, so I want to start all of the research I can, and scout a ton, even before the applications are due and results are up. It is never too early to start. And if I DON"T get drawn this year, I would love to help out a fellow member that draws my lucky tag.

So onto the questions:

1. Do antelope migrate like deer/elk from a winter to summer range? It seems like I see antelope in the same general area from late winter to very late fall, even into the snow. I have seen what appears to be the same antelope in the same 1 mile radius from January to December, and this has been in various units, from high desert to 6000'+ AMSL.

2. When do antelope shed their sheaths? Are they still growing their horns back at this time of the year? I saw a couple beauties up north this weekend, and another member said they are still growing right now. I sure hope so, because the few decent ones I glassed should be toads in another couple months if that is the case.

3. How far do antelope stray from water? All of the goats I saw were within a mile of a year round water source.

4. Antelope are 90% diurnal, correct? Even the bigger bucks, unlike deer and elk that go almost nocturnal as they get mature and smart? I know they will bed throughout the day, but I always see them getting up and grazing throughout the day. I also usually see them bedded at first light, and then they start moving. Or am I just catching them moving at the right times? I have glassed up tons of antelope with just their heads up while bedded at first light, or even middle of the day between grazing.

5. Hunting tactics. Do most successful rifle hunters sit near (relatively speaking) tanks, or glass/spot and stalk? I know most archery hunters sit near water. That is what we did in Wyoming, and it seems like most of the videos I have seen are the same.

I am sure I will be revisiting this thread with more questions as the year progresses, so thank you in advance.

I got a few photos of some decent bucks, but they were about 1500 yards, and I did not need to get closer this weekend.

So in doing some research, I have found some general answers to my questions. But I am still wondering what AZ hunter's observations are.

1. Yes. In northern US< they have been known to travel 160 miles.

2. Late October-early December

3. 3-4 miles.

I have had the pleasure of hunting antelope in Arizona a number of times and unrelated to hunting them have spent many days watching antelope. I will answer your questions from my perspective:

1. Yes antelope migrate in Arizona, but a more significant factor is seasonal movement in response to a summer green up. They can easily move 5-15 miles to take advantage of a green up.

2. I have seen lots of one horned bucks bucks at the end of October, I think this is the peak of the drop season in Arizona. Their horns seem to grow back quickly. I have watched bucks in late winter thinking that they will grow 2-3 more inches before the hunt and have been disappointed every time.

3. Antelope need free water. However antelope can casually stroll five miles in a very short time.

4. Yes antelope are primarily diurnal, they are up and down all day long. This along with the open country that they inhabit makes them fun to hunt.

5. Spot and stalk is my favorite method of hunting. I like to hike up onto a high point and glass and then come up with a plan to move into range. The most common method of hunting in Arizona is road hunting!

The two biggest factors affecting your scouting today compared to September will be summer green up and other hunters. Good luck on the draw!

1. In AZ, generally they don't migrate. A few herds will move a little ways (ex: 5B, they'll come off Anderson Mesa into the flats).

2. They shed in early November. Their new horns push off the old sheath and grow until the rut kicks in for the following year.

3. Depends on moisture in the food they're eating. Generally they'll be within a few miles of water.

4. They'll move all day long.

5. Spot and stalk. Sitting water will waste too much time during a rifle hunt.

So Flatlander thinks I have a legitimate chance at drawing an antelope tag this year with 23 bonus points, so I have already started my scouting this year. But I have some questions for those who have hunted them before. The only time I have ever hunted antelope is with a buddy in Wyoming. He bought a new truck in Montana, and the Ford dealership was giving away a 2 day antelope hunt in Wyoming as incentive, so we flew up, picked up the truck and drove back, stopping in Wyoming to archery hunt goats. My buddy got two, and I got one, but it was like rabbit hunting out there. They are just everywhere.

I have never been drawn in AZ for antelope, so I want to start all of the research I can, and scout a ton, even before the applications are due and results are up. It is never too early to start. And if I DON"T get drawn this year, I would love to help out a fellow member that draws my lucky tag.

So onto the questions:

1. Do antelope migrate like deer/elk from a winter to summer range? It seems like I see antelope in the same general area from late winter to very late fall, even into the snow. I have seen what appears to be the same antelope in the same 1 mile radius from January to December, and this has been in various units, from high desert to 6000'+ AMSL.

2. When do antelope shed their sheaths? Are they still growing their horns back at this time of the year? I saw a couple beauties up north this weekend, and another member said they are still growing right now. I sure hope so, because the few decent ones I glassed should be toads in another couple months if that is the case.

3. How far do antelope stray from water? All of the goats I saw were within a mile of a year round water source.

4. Antelope are 90% diurnal, correct? Even the bigger bucks, unlike deer and elk that go almost nocturnal as they get mature and smart? I know they will bed throughout the day, but I always see them getting up and grazing throughout the day. I also usually see them bedded at first light, and then they start moving. Or am I just catching them moving at the right times? I have glassed up tons of antelope with just their heads up while bedded at first light, or even middle of the day between grazing.

5. Hunting tactics. Do most successful rifle hunters sit near (relatively speaking) tanks, or glass/spot and stalk? I know most archery hunters sit near water. That is what we did in Wyoming, and it seems like most of the videos I have seen are the same.

I am sure I will be revisiting this thread with more questions as the year progresses, so thank you in advance.

I got a few photos of some decent bucks, but they were about 1500 yards, and I did not need to get closer this weekend.

If you are happy with killing a 80-82 inch goat keep scouting where you are looking,if you want a great chance up north killing a 85 inch plus wait 5-6 months to

scout you have to realize the raffle and auction tag outfitters will be all over 9,10 and 5b scout and find 3 or 4 bucks you will be happy with

if you find a giant in these units and he isn't in a hard to find spot Grimmets or another outfitter will kill it before your hunt ever starts between the finders fee or the ranch hands finding giants in the late spring, the bucks have no pressure and stay right by the road easy pickens for the auction tag.

one unit i hunt had 3-4 bucks pushing 85 plus and only one that i know of was killed this year because no one usally scouts the country they don't think antelope will be in.

good luck I hope you get drawn 21 years is a long time to have to wait.

One thing i will tell you, 80 percent of the guys that wait as long as you kill something the first or 2nd day and it's useally it's a 70 inch class buck and they scout for a couple months, they just have waited so long and don't know anything about antelpoe they shoot anything they see, be patient antelope are very easy to kill with a rifle, kill the buck you will be happy with and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

• Like 3

Homework. Do lots of homework. And then get a buddy who knows goats. I got Sir Royal by my side before I would pull the trigger.

He was a huge help.

• Like 1

I have been waiting a long time, and I actually built an "antelope gun" about 11 years ago, thinking I had to be getting close. A .25-06 Ackley.

Boy, I had NO IDEA it would take this long to draw a tag.

I have used that .25-06 Ackley to take a few nice mulies, so I have no issues with the gun performing. I have made first round hits out past 1350 yards with it. But I am also building a new LR rig as we speak, so it will be out in the field with me as well, if I ever draw a tag.

I will continue scouting all spring/summer, and if I do draw a tag, I will double my efforts, and try to get a hit list together. I have an antelope I have watched for over a year, and right now, he is #1 on my list. I found a #2 this past weekend, and I will be trying to get some closer shots of him over the next few months. If some of the guys like Flatlander and SirRoyal (and anyone else who knows goats) don't mind, I would like to send you some photos and let you be the judge.

Eastman's put out an article on field judging that will help. You may be able to find it on their website or they probably have a book written that you can buy. Worth if you aren't sure of what you are doing.

I am a novice but hit me up and I will take a look. A quick Google of field judging antelope will get you the Eastman 4x7 method and a few other good ones.

Josiah (sir royal) is an expert, and so are the Grimmetts. Good luck and keep us posted!

I am a novice but hit me up and I will take a look. A quick Google of field judging antelope will get you the Eastman 4x7 method and a few other good ones.

Josiah (sir royal) is an expert, and so are the Grimmetts. Good luck and keep us posted!

Just looked up the 4x7 method, and it makes perfect sense. Still researching, but this gave me a good clue on where to start. Thanks for the heads up.