Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

Pronghorn Questions From A Hopeful Goat Hunter

I also looked at the B&C scoring sheet to see where and how they take measurements. Very enlightening.

I have to find him again, but with what I saw last January (2104) through May, and again in October, I would say he will be close to making B&C minimum. I did a quick score of him on the sheet off some photos, but I think I am within 5-8 points on him either way. So high 70s to mid 80s?

I also saw one this weekend, but he was a long way off. He was tall, probably at least twice as high as his ears, but it was hard to see mass and prong on him, as he had us pegged at 1200+, and would not look away for over 45 minutes.

Here is the thing!

You need to be 100 yards or less when you glass and take pictures of Antelope. Unless you have camera equipment like Eli. Then you can take pictures from Phoenix. Lol!

You need a left profile and a right profile and front view!

This will get you in the know is it a 85" or a 88" or 90"+ goat .

Anything else all it is is a rough guess!

My buddy also has 23 points, so we are hoping he gets a tag this year. I helped out on a archery hunt last year and watched several good bucks that nobody ever hunted through both seasons. I will be out all summer looking at goats. David

All of them are from far away. I will be attempting to locate my #1 & #2 goats again over the next few weeks, as they are in different units. See if I can get in closer and get some good photos, then I will send them over.

Not your fault. I just suck at the drawing of tags.

I am thrilled I get to go with my cousin again, and that my wife drew the same tag as my daughter did last year. I am 95% sure she will donate the tag to Taylor unless I can convince her to try it for herself.

I guess I get to keep an eye on them for another year.....

• Like 1

Eastmans rule of thumb that I read years ago for field judging goats is MPH..... easy to remember for them. Mass, Prongs, and hooks.

Sorry to hear you didn't draw Lance. That just sucks! :angry: You're way over due on both elk and antelope. Glad to hear you'll at least be going on your cousin's hunt and either your wife or Taylor's hunt.