Sign in to follow this  
jgabler

5B South Archery Bull

I was lucky enough to draw an archery bull tag in 5B South this year. Not my premier hunt that I would loved to have had, but definately no complaints. Does anyone know the quality of bulls in the area. I know that you can find big bulls in all units, I have just never been in the unit before. 6A and 5A would be no problem, but I have no idea here. Just wondering if anyone had some bull pics. from the unit or had any advice. I am going to be limited on my scouting trips until September, but I'll do my best.

Here is some pics of a couple of bulls taken out of 5bs last year.

The first pic is from a archery hunt that I was lucky enough to be on with a good friend. We saw quite a few bigger bulls but never got an opportunity to get into position for a shot.

post-1274-1175702632_thumb.jpg

The next pics are from a late season bull in 5bs that again I was lucky enough to be on with my good friend

Stuffy who had a client for that hunt. Sorry about the quality (camera phone).

post-1274-1175702896_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1175702932_thumb.jpg

We looked at about 20 plus bulls on the late hunt last year and this was the biggest we seen in the first day and a half.

On the archery hunt we saw a couple of bulls that might push 340 ish.

Good luck.

Thanks for the pics and info. This will be my first bull elk taken by anything. I plan on using the whole hunt and will wait for a 320 bull the first week, 300 bull the next half week, and anything larger than a raghorn the last few days.

Here is some pics of a couple of bulls taken out of 5bs last year.

The first pic is from a archery hunt that I was lucky enough to be on with a good friend. We saw quite a few bigger bulls but never got an opportunity to get into position for a shot.

post-1274-1175702632_thumb.jpg

The next pics are from a late season bull in 5bs that again I was lucky enough to be on with my good friend

Stuffy who had a client for that hunt. Sorry about the quality (camera phone).

post-1274-1175702896_thumb.jpg

We looked at about 20 plus bulls on the late hunt last year and this was the biggest we seen in the first day and a half.

On the archery hunt we saw a couple of bulls that might push 340 ish.

Good luck.

They say the camera adds 10 lbs to you...... so exactly how many cameras did you have on GJ in that picture??! :lol: :lol:

Oh, and you forgot to mention that you shot that rifle bull right where I told you to go look..... ;) ...... :lol: :lol: :P

Sorry, GabesCoues..... not tryin' to hyjack..... Just bustin' my ol' buddies balls!!! :lol: Anyhow, good tag....Congrats on being drawn. I'd be lookin' for a 330-340 bull on that hunt, but I would not go passin' up bulls in or about the 320 class..... IMO...... The bulls that Huntn Coues posted are average 5B South bulls.... You can do better. But I would plan on being realistic based on what you see in your scouting at the end of summer. Good luck and Good Hunting!!!

If you do your scouting before the hunt then you'll know what to hold out for. There is no set # in any unit that will work for every hunter every year.

What I'm trying to say is in 5b south last year I would have shot the 1st 320'' bull I saw without a doubt. After the first few days I probably would have been excited to shoot to shoot a 300'' or even smaller. The biggest bull I saw in that unit last year was around 340''.

That was last year. The year before that I would have held out for a 340'' bull and probably ended up with a 320'' bull later in the hunt.

Horn growth was terrible last year compared to the previous year.

There are many factors that one should consider before deciding what to hold out for.

To be honest with you these #'s mean nothing. I use them as a reference but I always say if you like 'em, smoke 'em!

Good luck on your hunt!

You are completely right Shortpants. That is more than likely what will happen as well. I will see a bull and get all excited since it will be my first bull ever and go right after him. I know that anything with a bow is a trophy, I just hope that I can calm my nerves enough to hold out for a little larger bull, depending on the growth trends this year.

Jason, thats totally my point of view also! i think if i called a bull into bow range with him screamin at me and i had a good shot it take it, no matter what! i have only killed one bull, none with a bow. i dont know if i could pass anything with my bow!

I was lucky enough to draw an archery bull tag in 5B South this year. Not my premier hunt that I would loved to have had, but definately no complaints. Does anyone know the quality of bulls in the area. I know that you can find big bulls in all units, I have just never been in the unit before. 6A and 5A would be no problem, but I have no idea here. Just wondering if anyone had some bull pics. from the unit or had any advice. I am going to be limited on my scouting trips until September, but I'll do my best.

Hey I took my brother in law in there 2 years ago and there was about 300 camps on the Kinikinik Lake road. About 4 miles in on the south side. I called in 3 6x6 in 20 min. Theres alot of 325-330 bulls in their. Gotta shoot one early. Quads will drive into the meadows allday long. My brotherinlaw almost shot one guy on his quad with a blunt. No respect for the land.

Hunt off of highway 87 instead of the lake mary road side. I am seeing alot of bulls just off of the road between Happy Jack and East Clear Creek. You can also check out Jacks Canyon on the 87 side to get away from the Long Lake hunters. David

I have been thinking about the 87 side very much and down in the Juniper areas. With work I haven't been able to go scouting at all yet. My dad and uncle have been doing my scouting for me, and have ran into a lot of people that are going to be up on the northwest side of the unit. They have seen a lot, but they will shoot just about anything with antlers, and I am going to wait for a good quality bull for my first bull ever, hopefully around the 340 range that way I have something to look forward to get a bigger one. We'll see. It is my first bull tag and I can't wait much longer, especially looking at the antler growth in units 3 and 1. Do you guys know if the vegetation has been good in 5, I hope so with all of the rain. My adrenaline is already starting to flow.

I have been seeing a few bulls here and there nothing big yet, I believe we will see a change comming real soon, all the bulls I have seen still have velvet, kinda late in my opinion I would have thought the velvet would be gone already.

There is a ton of cattle on the west side along FH3 in the areas I have been scouting and those areas have been void of any elk.

I had a friend there this weekend (location secret) :P and he brought back several sheds and a couple of them were

good size 7's. He also had several minutes of video of some good bulls (mostly alone) in which none of them had velvet. He did say that he saw one bachelor heard that had velvet but most of them that I saw on his video were pretty clean.

While helping a friend's son with cow tag last year, we saw several bulls while up scouting and hunting. The Most interesting was still wearing velvet in October and had a bunch of odd growth, including a palmated antler on one side. He was running with a real Dandy of a bull, which looked very similar to the picture of the skull posted above. He had very good main beams, and pretty decent tine length all the way around. Most of the other bulls that we saw were raghorns, or pretty busted up from the rut.

BTW, we were on the melatone mesa side of the unit.

good luck,

Lots of elk in that unit to chase.

Schmitty