Sign in to follow this  
forepaw

Thumb-trigger Release Aids for Hunting

Does anyone use a thumb-trigger release aid, as opposed to the conventional wrist-strap finger trigger? They tend to be on the expensive side, but have some advantages over the wrist type. For example, you can carry them in a pocket or pouch, and not have it banging and catching on everything, you can leave it on your string loop until you are ready to shoot, and supposedly you can develop more of a surprise break by using back tension to arrive at the most stable full-draw position. However, they do give off a metallic click when they are touched off, which is not good, and could spoil a shot. No idea if some are quieter than others, of if there is a way to muffle the sound. Wrist-type release aids tend to be very quiet.

It seems like their use is spilling over into hunting from target archery.

Thanks for comments and info.

forepaw

I personally use one but only because I suffer from target panic. Almost daily do I have people come to the shop asking about them. Most everyone thinks they are a cure all. Reallity is every release should be shot with back tension and I'd venture to say most archers do not shoot the release they have properly. In the two years I've worked at the shop I could count on one hand the people I've encountered that use a wrist strap release the right way. When you are at full draw your finger should wrap around the trigger having the crease of your first knuckle laying across the front of the trigger. Then once gentle pressure is applied you should be pulling through the shot using back tension. Doing this not only properly releases the trigger but increases accuracy because the shot becomes a natural surprise allowing you to simply focus on the target not looking at it and waiting till your pin is close then slapping or punching the trigger. That is the reason why some people are not as accurate at longer distances. Punching a trigger does the same thing in archery it does with rifles yet everyone knows not to do it on a gun.

I recently started shooting the Stan sx2. I find I shoot more consistent groups with a thumb release. I don't notice much extra noise from it over the finger release. I prefer it over the trigger type release. How it works on hunts remains to be seen, but I am 1 for who knows how many with a finger trigger and didn't manage a shot with the thumb release. I don't like the clip in to loop and go idea much as Murphys law finds me often. I can preload the trigger set and slip the jaw closed later so my plan was to set the trigger and "flip in" close to shoot time.

Back tension shooting can be achieved with any release, I actually thought that was the proper way to shoot a bow regardless of the release.

ETA

Maverick posted while I was typing, glad someone agrees on back tension.

Shoot what you are used to. No good will come of trying something new right before/during archery season. If you plan on shooting one this fall, start now. As with everything, practice, practice, practice.

I used to have a three finger chocolate addiction by carter, it is an incredible hunting release. You can clip it on to your d-loop, is extremely adjustable and I used a paracord wrist strap for it. It is definitely pricey brand new but if you get on archery talk you can find all kinds of deals on there. I since have started shooting and hunting with a custom Scott backspin which is awesome.

I switched to the carter insatiable 2 and never looked back. Many positives not many negatives. Love being able to clip it on the string and still have my right hand free for whatever I need without the wrist release hitting everything. Easier for back tension, at least for me anyways. Pricey but worth it.

I took my itty bitty goose in my cuff or in the rist strap simple