Sign in to follow this  
OpticNerd

2015 Coues Rut Video((update pics added))

Outstanding video! I've watched it a few times now and must say you've captured some great footage. The footage quality in some of those clips is just incredible. You got a couple great bucks in there as well. How big do you think that wide buck is? I can't tell for sure but he looks like a 4x5.

Outstanding video! I've watched it a few times now and must say you've captured some great footage. The footage quality in some of those clips is just incredible. You got a couple great bucks in there as well. How big do you think that wide buck is? I can't tell for sure but he looks like a 4x5.

Thanks! Yes he is/was a 5x4 not including eye guards of course. I'm not the best at scoring but I think with all his points intact he would go somewhere between 110-120.

Great video! I love that busted up old buck with the broken tines. He's a scrapper!

Thanks! Yea that buck is one of the most aggressive bucks I've seen in a while. I don't think I've ever seen a buck charge as many bucks as this guy and it wasn't just the bucks he was also mean to the all the does as well.

Great video! I love that busted up old buck with the broken tines. He's a scrapper!

Thanks! Yea that buck is one of the most aggressive bucks I've seen in a while. I don't think I've ever seen a buck charge as many bucks as this guy and it wasn't just the bucks he was also mean to the all the does as well.

That makes sense... he's been divorced, probably more than once. Now he's just out to fight everything.

The pics you added are pretty good. So do you really think that 4x5 would score between 110-120? Just double checking because I've been seeing a similar framed 3x3 buck and I'm trying to get a better idea on what he might score.

Sorry man but your asking the wrong guy when it comes to accurately scoring a buck on the hoof. The 110-120 is just a quick guesstimate and this guess is based on if he wasn't broken. I never got video of him fully intact. I'm pretty sure he's closer to 110 than 120 but who knows for sure. I have a hard time seeing him scoring under 105 but I could be wrong. Maybe someone else will chime in with a more accurate number than I can give. Sorry I couldn't be anymore helpful.

No problem. I watched a few of your other youtube videos today and you got some good stuff. The 2013 rut video was pretty dang awesome. Your elk videos are great as well but I really like your coues rut videos. What can I say I love dem coues. Hey do you mind giving me some pointers. I've been digiscoping for a few years and I'm having a tough time getting quality footage like your getting. If not no worries. Nice job keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comment Dominant Buck. Without knowing more about your digiscoping setup I really can't give you any specific pointers. I'm far from being a digiscoping expert but for me one of the most important factor in getting quality footage is distance. To get the good stuff I need to be within 300 yards. The closer the better. Doing this should improve the quality of your footage. Another general tip is to upgrade your equipment if at all possible. Get an ED scope if you don't have one. Doesn't necessarily need to be top of the line just as long as it has some type of ED glass. This will help a lot with the color fringing. Also get a compact HD camera that has a zoom below 5x if you don't already have one. From my experience I get the results with cameras that have an optical zoom range between 3-5x. Any other questions feel free to ask.

I have a Swaro scope so I think my scope should be good. I've been using a Canon HV30 which takes really good hd video but it's not a compact and the zoom is 10x so I'll get a compact camera and see if that helps. Any suggestions on what camera to get?

Out of the cameras I've used I really like the Canon Elph 300 HS when it comes to videoscoping especially for the price. Majority of the footage from my 2013 rut video was recorded with this camera. Another camera I like are the Sony RX100 series. I've been using a RX100 for almost a year now and I'm really starting to like it. Pretty much all the footage from my 2015 rut video is RX100 footage with the exception of two or three clips. Good luck hope your able to get the results your looking for.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the great video and pics!! Nice looking deer!

Awesome video. Thank you for sharing. Can never get enough of watching them and their natural behavior. Mine seem to be of them hauling a$$ over the next ridge all the time......

Sweet