Sign in to follow this  
Kevin@Wisconsin

Bowhunting javelina near Tucson

Hello All,

After the last few winters in Wisconsin my wife and I have come to the conclusion that we need to escape for a week next year.

It was -20 yesterday:(

She has an old Peace Corps friend we are going to visit near Tucson in January.

my question to all of you is what is the feasibility of getting out for a couple days and bowhunting for javelina?

is this hunt doable or would I need more days? Or would I need to hire a guide? I would prefer to DIY myself and learn as I go rather than pay someone.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the site. You should be able to find javalina anywhere around Tucson no need for a guide. I am in Oracle and have pigs in my yard almost daily. If you have trouble getting started I am sure some of the locals would be happy to get you started in the right direction. By the way it is 76 degrees with sunshine in Tucson today and all the fruit trees are blooming. Build a snowman for me

you'll have to put in for the spring draw for javelina most units will have piggys - look thru the game and fishing Site - under hunting and where to hunt - gives basic information on where to find the different speices for each hunt unit

if you are lucky and draw a tag - usually not too hard - then you can also add the over the counter deer tag and expand your hunting possiblilities.

no guaranties on either speices and if you have good optics and the time to get out and hunt - then a guide isn't really necessary .

if time is limited then you might change your plans -

on an added note a week is not enough time to come here and enjoy our spring climates

I've started making trips to Wisc for the general deer hunt - I take 20 days and it goes way to fast - the coldest day on the hunt was 18 below with the wind chill - was a great time even though I didn't fill my tag

comin earlier this yr for the bow season

Thanks for all of the replies and private messages.

Yes. A week is too short, but its all we have planned for the trip.

Elk- I think it was two years ago when the regular temp was zero and wind chill was freaking cold as heck. Fun times:)